Wavetable cycling via controllers

Author
Shayne White
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
2006/08/06 20:53:14 (permalink)

Wavetable cycling via controllers

I'm thinking about how to "sweep" across wavetables with Rapture, which obviously can only be done with some good SFZ programming. If I want to crossfade between many wavetables as I modulate a controller, I assume I add the following language to each region:

<group>=X
<loccXX>=X
<hiccXX>=X
<off_by>=next group number
<off_by>=previous group number
<off_mode>=normal

That way I can have smooth crossfading as I modulate the controller. The only issue I see is this: I'd want to have a fairly fast attack and release as it crossfades, but perhaps I'd want a slower attack and release for the overall timbre. Is Rapture's own amp envelope separate from the SFZ file? If so, that would work for the attack, but if the SFZ engine has a short release, Rapture's longer release wouldn't have any effect. Any ideas on how to better achieve this? I've always wanted to do something like this, but never got the chance.

I need to download SFZ Toolbox and see if I can set up this kind of thing faster than in Notepad!

Thanks,

Shayne
post edited by Shayne White - 2006/08/08 22:48:00

6 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: More wavetable sequence ideas 2006/08/06 23:33:11 (permalink)
    Well I fussed with what your trying to do and I simply coundn't get that to work well. The step gens did work but it locks in the sequence. As does the stop_beats/delay_beats- you do have more controll using THAT BECAUSE YOU SPECIFY on time and stop the step gens can only be one step or multilpes. If you contain the sweep to 2 sounds where they both sound continuously and you simply turn one up as you turn one down. That will work.
    The step gens are very smooth and do rock/no sfz writing with that just loops you make. delay_beats/stop_beats is really set up for the drum loop thing? But sequencing audio is doable as I have done that and it works very well.

Rene just posted a tutorial on the delay_beats/stop_beats thing (Beyond borders)

. Work through it even though it's doing drums. Once you see what's going on substitute audio for drum sounds. You can have many audio files by specifying sample = for each <region>
    post edited by lawapa - 2006/08/06 23:52:04
    Shayne White
    RE: More wavetable sequence ideas 2006/08/07 01:46:44 (permalink)
    Oops, I think I named this thread wrong...I'm merely talking crossfading between wavetables via a controller only, no motion otherwise...though I suppose with even more programming with delay_beats and stop_beats, you could add motion plus modulation crossfading.

Interesting...

Shayne
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: More wavetable sequence ideas 2006/08/07 07:22:22 (permalink)
    What I'm unsure of is the possibility of crossfading between more than 2 sounds. By inverting one controller and having the other sound respond the oposite you tun one up as you turn the other down. Add 2 more sounds for a total of 4 and that gets tricky? With an outboard controller with 4 sliders it is do-able setting each sound with one slider.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: More wavetable sequence ideas 2006/08/07 16:35:15 (permalink)
    Perhaps [this thread] will get you going. Check out René's response [here], and Chad's contributions [here] and [here].
    Shayne White
    RE: More wavetable sequence ideas 2006/08/09 00:50:09 (permalink)
    OK, I found out that the loccXX=Y & hiccXX=Y idea doesn't work, because it only switches to the new wavetable if I adjust the controller AND THEN repress the key. So I tried crossfading, but if I wanted to have a new wavetable for every new controller value, it'll get "steppy." Basically, I'm trying to recreate the PPG/Transwave-type thing.

Any ideas?

Shayne
    Shayne White
    RE: More wavetable sequence ideas 2006/08/09 10:38:18 (permalink)
    Well, I tried the xfin_cc thing, and it works OK, except it's REALLY STEPPY! Is there no way to smooth it? With such crossfading hardness, I don't know if I'll be able to use it.

Shayne
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1