Why does this Rapture instrument take so much CPU power?

Author
awilki01
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 817
2006/08/07 22:55:15 (permalink)

Why does this Rapture instrument take so much CPU power?

Here is a link to the Rapture program.
SuperSaw Trance Lead 2 - gated.prog

I have an Athlon 64 3500+. This instrument alone takes 19% utlization!! Can anyone figure out why?

9 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Why does this Rapture instrument take so much CPU power? 2006/08/07 23:32:42 (permalink)
    As far as I can tell, Adam, the only difference in the progression of 6 Elements is an increasing amount of Detune in each one. (Very methodical approach; I like that. ). The other Elements get buried by that last Detune of 42 in E6. For my money, you could lose the first 5 and retain most of the patch's character. That should drop the CPU cost significantly.

If you still want some variation from note to note, set a destination in the MIDI Matrix to Detune 6 at a middle Depth, like 21. Adjust the GUI Detune to the same number. Then select a source of velocity, or one of the random generators. For what it's worth, I just ran this patch through an optimized 2800+ and got the same CPU cost. Dropping the first 5 Elements [switched off] saved 50%.
    awilki01
    RE: Why does this Rapture instrument take so much CPU power? 2006/08/07 23:50:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

The other Elements get buried by that last Detune of 42 in E6.

Oh my gosh! You are right! (As if I really had to state that) What does the detune really do then? I 'thought' a supersaw was many sawtooth waveforms detuned from one another. What am I missing here?

Am I getting detune mixed up with tune?

Please explain to the uneducated!!!
    post edited by awilki01 - 2006/08/08 00:05:59
    b rock
    RE: Why does this Rapture instrument take so much CPU power? 2006/08/08 00:15:05 (permalink)
    I 'thought' a supersaw was many sawtooth waveforms detuned from one another. What am I missing here?
    It is, Adam. But you can reach a saturation point. Detune ranges from 0-100 cents, and the oscillator voices (3v-9v) are spread equally within that range. They're also panned to different locations, and it almost sounds like a phase shift as well. So when you've got 9 voices at Detune levels up to almost half a semitone, things get pretty thick pretty fast. The other Elements each have 9 more voices apiece spread at those panning positions, but they're detuned from their base oscillator and the other Elements. In this case, I think that the Detune of 42 wins out. That's really quite a bit.

You can get just the panning effects with a Detune of 0, but try smaller amounts of Detune, like 1,3, or 5. Even the default setting of 10 is a little 'phat'. You can get some complex thickness by varying these small Detune amounts over Elements with different multi-oscillator voice numbers. Then add a very small Depth of Pitch LFO at a very slow Freq. (if you like). You'll get very full-bodied sound without the oscillators stepping all over each other, and clarity will improve.
    awilki01
    RE: Why does this Rapture instrument take so much CPU power? 2006/08/08 09:35:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

Detune ranges from 0-100 cents, and the oscillator voices (3v-9v) are spread equally within that range........So when you've got 9 voices at Detune levels up to almost half a semitone, things get pretty thick pretty fast.

So, if I have 9 voices with a detune of 42 on one of the elements, each voice is detuned at a different value? Between 0 and 42? I'm just trying to make sure I completely understand what you are stating.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Why does this Rapture instrument take so much CPU power? 2006/08/08 18:36:20 (permalink)
    Yea, there is a wikky somewheres where the spread is shown. Basically each extra voice (3-5-7-9) adds a stereo voice or ocscillator (as I would call it) that is spread out across the soundfield. The detune stretches the detune across the cent range, as I understand it. So having a 2nd similar element detuned to a smaller amount probably won't show up that well, unless you fade the two elements in and out or use the LFO to vary the pitch differnetial, which should add some movement. I think that is what Mr. Rock was saying.
    post edited by AT - 2006/08/08 18:49:10

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    b rock
    RE: Why does this Rapture instrument take so much CPU power? 2006/08/08 22:08:06 (permalink)
    I have 9 voices with a detune of 42 on one of the elements, each voice is detuned at a different value?
    AT has you covered, but why pass up another opportunity to bump Chad's graphic?

Here's are the links at the Wiki; originally fron Chad Beckwith:
    Rapture Signal Flow Part 1.5
    Rapture Signal Flow Part 1
    Rapture Signal Flow Part 2
    awilki01
    RE: Why does this Rapture instrument take so much CPU power? 2006/08/09 11:39:46 (permalink)
    Thanks, B Rock and AT!!!

So, when I initially said that a SuperSaw is many sawtooth waveforms detuned from another, I could really do that with one element set to 9V being that it is evenly spread out. So, basically, what I had was 54 (6 elements * 9 voices each) sawtooth waveforms detuned from one another!!!

No wonder why it took so much CPU power!! I was doing a mega supersaw!!! Geez!!

Thanks again!! Right when I think I had something all figured, I learn something else. This is great!
    Shayne White
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: Why does this Rapture instrument take so much CPU power? 2006/08/09 13:06:04 (permalink)
    I just put together an SFZ file with 14 different wavetables that are crossfaded together via a controller, so even though it's playing only one or two samples at any one time, it's having to process 14 samples...then add multi detuning...then add polyphony...the voice count started getting into the 100's! (Needless to say, I maxed out my CPU with one instance....)

Shayne
    b rock
    RE: Why does this Rapture instrument take so much CPU power? 2006/08/09 13:30:58 (permalink)
    Just to clarify the what's, wherefore's and why's, check out René's reply in [this somewhat related thread]

I'd like to give a slight insight on a techie detail about the multisaw.

Both Rapture and Dimension Pro can play the above multisaw.sfz file. So is that the same thing as having the MULTI switch turned on in Rapture?

Not really. Rapture MULTI mode will create 3, 5, 7 or 9 oscillators with the loaded samples, which then will be routed to a -single- dsp chain. This means, the two filters will process the mix of all oscillators as a whole.

This effect results in a higher control when applying distortion and lo-fi effect, and reduces enormously the CPU load.
    In other words, if you apply to the sfz file above a filter, 3 EGs and 2 LFOs, and then play a single note, then you'll get six filters, 18 EGs and 12 LFOs pumping at once. Using Rapture MULTI mode, you get one filter, 3 EGs and 2 LFOs. This allows you to stack another element with another MULTI osc, and still having your room with a decent temperature.

The sfz has some advantages though: you can specify the six voices to play with a random value affecting something like filter cutoff on each, so they behave individually from start to end like in the old synthies unison modes. Expensive, but cool results could come out of it.

-René
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1