Dumb Question - Rapture

Author
mosspa
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
2006/08/12 23:31:54 (permalink)

Dumb Question - Rapture

Is ther a user's manual? I find the help file hard to use and would prefer an indexed pdf file. How can you market a product this deep without a user's manual? I feel I must be missing something here because never before have I tried to work with a synth where I had absolutely no understanding of what was going on. Oh, and if there is a manual, where is it?

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing

10 Replies Related Threads

xenohazard
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Dumb Question - Rapture 2006/08/13 04:16:27 (permalink)
    312 page Rapture manual is in the same box as the software that you bought.
    Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: Dumb Question - Rapture 2006/08/13 07:46:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: xenohazard

Not really. It's about 40 pages of information. Then repeated in a bunch of different languages. mosspa is right - there should be a comprehensive manual - pdf would be great. Even just a pdf of what is in the hard copy manual that ships in the box would be great to start with. I would love to print out a full 8.5 X 11 page and clip it near my monitor while I work with Rapture. With this "mini" manual, I have to clothespin it open and squint to see the writing.

How about it Cake/Rene? Surely it wouldn't be hard to convert the Rapture manual into pdf and make it available.
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dumb Question - Rapture 2006/08/13 11:09:06 (permalink)
    Under your installation folder, in the \Documentation folder, there's a copy of the manual in pdf format after installation. It's called "Rapture User's Guide.pdf".

It's a very comprehensive manual (about 75 pages x 4 languages), describing every single feature in Rapture.

-René
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dumb Question - Rapture 2006/08/13 12:32:46 (permalink)
    You learn something new every day. No, not about the comprehensive online documentation: that jumps right out at you. But I did miss the inclusion of the Rapture Resource Usage Chart in the Help file. I always thought that was a great reference in Dimension, and it was missing from Rapture's paper manual. But there it is.

One quick question, René, if you get the chance. In all of DP/RP's documentation, it lists the Bipolar Random value being generated on Note Off. In my cobbled-together testing and experience with it, I'm hearing it generated at Note On, like the other similar parameters. Am I missing something, or is this a misprint? Seems like a small issue, but I have some devious plans for that ...
    René
    RE: Dumb Question - Rapture 2006/08/13 12:38:39 (permalink)
    It's a mistake. Both unipolar and bipolar are generated on note-on, unipolar from 0~1 and bipolar from -1~1.

-René
    mosspa
    RE: Dumb Question - Rapture 2006/08/13 16:51:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: xenohazard

No it isn't. I'm reviewing what Cakewalk is calling "Cakewalk Instruments VIP Suite" (Dimension Pro, Rapture, Z3TA+) for Recording Magazine. What they (Cakewalk) sent me was a "Not for Resale" multi-sleeve CD/DVD case with a Rapture CD, 2 Dimension Pro DVDs, and a Z3TA+ CD. After I sent the forum post you responded to I realized I have no documentation for Z3TA+ either. Dimension Pro isn't a problem since I already own a personal license for Project 5 v2. I guess I'll have to call Cakewalk on Monday to see if I can get a copy of the documentation for all of the programs. You have to admit, Rapture with no documentation is a little intimidating since its user interface bears little resembance to anything else out there. I have to admit, I am impressed by a number of the presets, though.

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
    mosspa
    RE: Dumb Question - Rapture 2006/08/13 17:03:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: René

Under your installation folder, in the \Documentation folder, there's a copy of the manual in pdf format after installation. It's called "Rapture User's Guide.pdf".

It's a very comprehensive manual (about 75 pages x 4 languages), describing every single feature in Rapture.

-René

Thank you. I'm glad to see that they hid it so efficiently Actually it would have made more sense not to include it at all from a piracy standpoint. Except for using the presets, this is one synth program that is almost useless with out documentation.

I also found the Z3TA+ User's Manual similarly well hidden.
    post edited by mosspa - 2006/08/13 17:16:36

John

René
    RE: Dumb Question - Rapture 2006/08/13 18:30:42 (permalink)
    Most users work with *either* the online help (which just appears when you hit F1), *or* the printed copy of the manual, which every user gets inside the box, as a very nice orange book.

Well hidden... well, the PDF manual for both z3ta+ and Rapture is <cough>, well <cough>, inside the "Documentation" folder. I was under the impression that anyone looking for information would try looking inside. It's actually faster and easier than writing a forum post. I guess I was wrong.

It's so funny. For z3ta+, we used to have a Start Program icon for the PDF manual, then I removed it because users complained about the installer adding unnecessary/bloating icons. "We don't need three ways to access the same manual". Oh well

-René
    mosspa
    RE: Dumb Question - Rapture 2006/08/13 18:54:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: René

Most users work with *either* the online help (which just appears when you hit F1), *or* the printed copy of the manual, which every user gets inside the box, as a very nice orange book.

Well hidden... well, the PDF manual for both z3ta+ and Rapture is <cough>, well <cough>, inside the "Documentation" folder. I was under the impression that anyone looking for information would try looking inside. It's actually faster and easier than writing a forum post. I guess I was wrong.

It's so funny. For z3ta+, we used to have a Start Program icon for the PDF manual, then I removed it because users complained about the installer adding unnecessary/bloating icons. "We don't need three ways to access the same manual". Oh well

-René

Rene

I think you misunderstood me. In most applications the pdfs of the user manuals are located on the root directory of the CD-ROM instalation disk. That is where I looked for them for both Rapture and Z3TA+. As I explained, with the NFR set Cakewalk sent there were no printed manuals. Of course it makes sense that the documentation would be in the documentation folder, but I just never thought of looking that deep into the installed directory structure, and apparently neither did Rick McNab. Anyway, I have had a chance to play with Rapture and Z3TA+ and I find them both to be quite amazing. Unless something goes reall afoul, I can't imagine ths being anything less than a stellar review. One point that you might want to discuss with Cakewalk, though. I don't think that either program is being marketed as efficiently as it might be. I'm quite the Cake fan and have been with them since Cake for DOS v1. I was excited when I heard about Rapture, but when I read the text in the Cakewalk "Instruments" pages, and sampled the MP3s, I wasn't thrilled enough to actually buy it. Now that I have it and can see what it can do, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I've known of your excellent reputation for some time, but I never bought Z3TA+ because I wasn't really sure what, exactly, it did. Now I know and I am amazed by a lot of it.

I also have an idea for a new product. Something of a more Ambient nature that would compete with Spectrasonics "Atmosphere", but with more host-synchable functions and a file driven arpeggiator like Z3TA's. Something that would be more sample-based then Reason, like Atmosphere with balls.

John

Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: Dumb Question - Rapture 2006/08/14 04:19:48 (permalink)
    Found it. Thanks for the heads up, Rene. That will really help. How's the drum module coming? (Just Kidding). B, don't you just hate it when your bipolar and unipolar values aren't behaving? When mine act up I take 'em out back and give 'em a good whooping.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1