preview/audition of Dimension Pro programs or elements

Author
richardk
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2006/08/13 01:58:27 (permalink)

preview/audition of Dimension Pro programs or elements

Is there a way to preview a program or element in the list before actually loading it into DP? Since there is no summary of the characteristics, it gets tedius loading then playing it. For example, in a drum kit, it would be nice to know if there are brushes, side hits, etc. At least with a preview or audition prior to loading, one could make their own notes about a given program or element.

3 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: preview/audition of Dimension Pro programs or elements 2006/08/13 07:24:54 (permalink)
    Dpro is sample based, So a load into ram is the only way to preview, You could use another Dpro instance for auditioning elements for a mix/match when building your own sounds. Short of archiving wave files for each prog to preview there is no work around. Even in hardware, wavefiles must be loaded to preview the sound.

This is the nature of the beast. Setting a notepad .txt file you could use to take notes can be helpful. I use this when building sample sets up. The sfz format is .txt file based so all my notes can be in the original file excluded by the format with // before the line of text.

richardk
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: preview/audition of Dimension Pro programs or elements 2006/08/14 17:34:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input. Too bad the designers didn't allow for loading the prog/element into a 'cache' as a quick way to preview, but probably the cache wouldn't be any faster loading in, just a few less steps (wouldn't have to initialize the DP instance, etc.). I plan to load the prog/elements most likely to be used by me (a few at a time), and then build up a .txt file to describe each one.
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: preview/audition of Dimension Pro programs or elements 2006/08/14 20:34:56 (permalink)
    A .txt file in the folder with you sounds/samples is not accessable through the Dpro browser. But I just minimise Sonar, explore to the folder open the file to tray and leave it there as I do my sample work. Pop it up to take notes drop it down to work.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1