Techniques for delaying main vocal line

Author
fooman
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1382
2006/09/07 21:49:32 (permalink)

Techniques for delaying main vocal line

Hello,
Lately I've noticed many newer tunes have the delay on the main vocal that is barely noticable but adds a lot to the overall product. An example is AFI's Miss Murder. I can't say enough about that specific song, but the vocals have the delay that is apparent if you listen for it... but does not muddy up the vocal line at all. By the end of the lyric line the delay is more apparent than at the start of the line.

Does anyone do this type of effect regularly that can help me understand how it's achieved?

5 Replies Related Threads

DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Techniques for delaying main vocal line 2006/09/11 19:52:50 (permalink)
    I'm not familiar with the track you mentioned, so I'm only guessing, but it's possible that the delay return is being automated in the mix to do what you described.

That is, either on an actual console or within a DAW program, that the effect return is being increased at a certain point to make it appear more noticeably at the end of the phrase, and then backed down again at a particular point.

But again, I'm only guessing.
    Do you have a link to a sample we could listen to?

http://www.donnythompson.com
    fooman
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1382
    RE: Techniques for delaying main vocal line 2006/09/11 21:13:14 (permalink)
    No that makes sense. I do not have a link, but I'd like to try this. It's hard w/o a console to automate my DAW, but hey I'll give it a go. It's worked before with some concentration!!
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Techniques for delaying main vocal line 2006/09/18 01:03:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fooman
    It's hard w/o a console to automate my DAW, but hey I'll give it a go. It's worked before with some concentration!!

Not really that hard. All you need is to enable an Envelope for the parameter that you want to automate on the track or bus where the effect is. (In this case it's probably the amount of Wet signal on the delay plug.) Then play with the envelope... now this may be the hard part that you were referring to. But it's not that bad, either, just let your ears be your guide. For a start, though, you can try cutting the Send level where the voice reaches a peak of effort or pitch, and bring it back elsewhere.

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: Techniques for delaying main vocal line 2006/09/21 23:22:12 (permalink)
    A more intuitive way to vary send levels can sometimes be to just automate the controls in Console View, instead of drawing envelopes. You get immediate feedback on what it sounds like--if you didn't get it the way you want, just stop and erase the last recorded automation, go again.

I use envelopes for much fine tweaking of mixes, but sometimes to have that slider or knob gripped by the mouse and changing things as I hear the music is the best thing to do--in some situations

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Spinedoc
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 574
    RE: Techniques for delaying main vocal line 2006/09/22 15:52:31 (permalink)
    A "ducking delay" is useful so you don't have to automate. I think tobybear has a free one called "cow delay".
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1