MIDI Quantisize

Author
Peter Rabbit
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1305
2006/09/17 12:23:50 (permalink)

MIDI Quantisize

After creating a MIDI track I like to randomly offset the notes by about 8% using the Quantisize feature. This makes the instrument sound more realistic. However, by doing this, the notes sometimes overlap one another because some are pushed forward while others are pushed back.

This usually does not cause a problem but sometimes it does with some plug-ins. There are some VST plug-ins that will only play one note at a time (the free sfz for example) and if the notes are overlapping it results in a period of silence where the next note should be playing.

I've been trying to figure out a way to correct this overlap by using the Quantisize feature thereby avoiding having to manually drag back the end of each and every overlapping note in the MIDI track throughout the entire project. I can't seem to figure this one out.

Is there a way to do this using the Quantisize feature while still retaining the randomized start times of the notes or am I going to have to continue manually dragging the end of each note back? Quantisizing the duration of the notes doesn't help because it just snaps the end of the notes to the nearest selected resolution; and the start of the next notes, after randomizing start times, still begins before the preceeding notes end so there is still an overlap of notes resulting in random periods of silence.

Thanks,
Pete
post edited by Peter Rabbit - 2006/09/17 14:05:15

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
P. Rabbit

3 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: MIDI Quantisize 2006/09/17 14:12:21 (permalink)
    Hey, Pete. I don't know of a way to accomplish that with quantize. The way I deal with it, however, is by using Frank's MIDI plugins. His suite of MIDI plugins are very useful. I don't even use the quantize in CW anymore cause Frank's "MIDI Humanize" does a much better job, IMO. The suite costs $35 - but it is my "go to tool" for MIDI now. You can download the trial version and if you're cleaver you can get most of the stuff to work for you with the trial version. The stuff's so good, tho, that I thought it was well worth $35!

http://www.midi-plugins.de/

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    RE: MIDI Quantisize 2006/09/17 19:05:22 (permalink)

Thanks Beagle. I never knew this plug-in was available. Looks like a great find! Looks as though it will do what I need. Hmmm, interesting. Guess I better dig into my pockets again for yet another toy. LOL
    Thanks again,
    Pete

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: MIDI Quantisize 2006/09/17 22:45:46 (permalink)
    I play everything, so it already IS quantized. I can't read or write music, at least not fast, so by playing all the parts on my keyboard, it's as 'human' as I can get it. Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1