another vocals question

Author
airmeki
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1598
2006/09/23 14:20:55 (permalink)

another vocals question

I bought a new mic yesterday (my first) and a set of monitor speakers (yey).
This morning I hooked everything up and tested the mic in MC3: I added a new audio track for vocals, armed the track for recording and started the project. I've noticed the LED indicator move, without a me talking or singing into the mic. It moves along with the project (as if I was to record the remaining tracks). However, once singing my voice is being picked up as well.
I am rather confused and may be crying fire for no reason (I hope )
I apologize if this question has been asked already, I tried searching for it without a return though. Thanks for your patience guys.
Info: Soundcard (Audiophile 2496), Mixer (Behringer UB1002), MC3

27 Replies Related Threads

pantherhawk27263
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/23 14:34:17 (permalink)
    I've seen the same thing when I record, however I have written it off to "noise" in the connection to my computer. None of this "sound" I see on my LED's has actually been audible in my tracks. I really haven't been concerned about it since I get strange interference from a local Christian radio station over my speakers and headphones, yet none of it is ever recorded on any of my tracks.

"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the BEST!"
    Frank Zappa - "Packard Goose" from "Joe's Garage"
    wickerman
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1039
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/23 16:06:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pantherhawk27263
    I get strange interference from a local Christian radio station over my speakers and headphones, yet none of it is ever recorded on any of my tracks.

maybe that's a sign panther! lol

i also have noticed some movement in the meter with nothing going on - i also attribute this to PC noise, AC hum, ect. It never amounts to anything audible, and can always be cropped out of a track through empty portions.
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/23 16:19:40 (permalink)
    airmeki,
    You say it follows the project. Are you listening through headphones as you record? The sound could be leaking out and is being picked up by the mic. If that's the case, try turning down the volume and see if that helps.
    airmeki
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/23 17:04:34 (permalink)
    Thanks guys - Robert: You are correct. It actually follows the project (one can see the leds "dancing" to the beat) and yes - I am listening through my headphones. I'll give the lower volume a try, though, the leds are pretty high up so I suspect it's not the sound coming from the headphones ... I think I am using a wrong setting (either software or hardware mixer) or something ... to be continued ...

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/23 21:02:06 (permalink)
    airmecki:
    This is too funny. I used to have an old Kustom bass amplifier and cabinet, the roll and pleated antique that was the only bass set up to have at the time,(my god, that was thirty years ago), and almost every time I plugged in I could hear a Christian radio station from Canada, sometimes louder than the base itself. Needless to say, I had to replace it, now I wish I had it for appearance sake in the studio, but your problem brought back a great memory, so thanks.

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    wickerman
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1039
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/23 21:12:09 (permalink)
    robert is probably bang on - a mic is pretty sensitive and bleed from earphones can be picked up quite easily in the right setting - i have this happen as well, but it hasn't amounted to anything worth note though.
    Greek2Me
    • Total Posts : 272
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/23 22:23:17 (permalink)
    Geez, I hope this isn't TOO ignorant on my part, but do you by any chance have the "What-U-Hear" option enabled under your windows volume settings? That is great for mixing, but could be inadvertently adding all you recorded previously to your vocal tracks as well. Highly undesirable, since you likely want to keep vocal tracks separate from everything else.

Disable that option until you need/want to combine tracks. I'm just getting into this, but I gather that "bouncing" tracks is the preferred method to combining via "What-U-Hear" anyway.

Hope this helps.

RMc

Ginoskein auton kai gnoridzo auton, touto ho skopos moi

To know Him, and to make Him known, this my goal.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/24 10:00:02 (permalink)
    Turn off ALL other programs that might be running in the background. Turn off everything which loads on start-up, and there are many that most of us never use but they load anyway. Get off the internet and close your virus scan, pop-up blocker, firewall programs. Virus scans are particularly noisy, because they're always snooping around looking for bugs, and when they open the door to look in the MC room, they make noise. Cakewalk likes to work alone. Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    airmeki
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/24 11:19:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for your inputs. Greg: Since my early days of flight simming I am actually used to shut down several programs that boot each time you start the computer. So, no, there aren't many programs running (just the essential ones I would say). Good call, though.
    I tried the idea decreasing the volume of the headphones - it did indeed go down slightly, but the LEDs are still dancing well up in the "high greens". I don't think I am picking up a "ghost radio station" altough this would be too cool ... (I didn't think Canada would ever produce a religious radio station ..., but that's a different story ).
    So, the only think left, for now, is what RMc suggested - the "Would you hear" feature. I'll give that a try and let you guys know what happend. Thanks again y'all for your ideas.
    Heinz

airmeki
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/24 12:08:29 (permalink)
    Okay, now I finally recorded a vocal track (just a verse) while listening to the remaining tracks over headphones. The speakers are muted, so no sound came out of those. No other sounds in the house - it was quiet. So, when playing back the recording (I soloed the new vocal track to hear how I sang) I heard the whole song - meaning all 11 tracks plus my newly recorded voice track. I am pretty sure I have a wrong setup with my mixer, but what is it??
    RMc: I am not sure where I can find that feature you've mentioned (= "What you hear"). I opened the windows volume panel and checked every tab, but I couldn't see this option. I must miss something here.
    Also, I apologize for you pioneers in here - I am almost sure this problem has been posted already, somewhere and sometime in this forum ... Thanks for your patience.
    Heinz
    PS: All of you who are using a Behringer mixer (mine is the UB1002) - did you encounter, or at one point fix this problem in the past? How was (or is) your wiring? Mine is wired as suggested by Robomusic in one of his posts.

pantherhawk27263
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/24 12:15:15 (permalink)
    I had to wonder if it was a sign, or just voices only I could hear (as if I needed more of them!). My wife always complains that I am practically deaf, but I think it is selective listening. I am always hearing things on TV and in music that she can't, but I can't hear what she wants me to. When I first started hearing the radio crossover on the speakers it was almost subliminal. You could hear it, but couldn't identify what it was or where it came from. Once I started putting on the headphones I could hear it pretty clearly. I had to crank the speakers up all the way one day to get my wife to hear it, yet I'm the deaf one!!
    I keep forgetting to shut down other programs, especially the anti-virus. I need to try that from now on.

"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the BEST!"
    Frank Zappa - "Packard Goose" from "Joe's Garage"
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/24 15:16:08 (permalink)
    Heinz, your sound card also has a program, and that's probably where the 'WhatUHear' button is. For Sound Blaster cards, that is the name it has. Other cards have different names for this feature. In MC, there is a drop down menu above the tracks called 'record options'. The 3 options on mine are 'sound on sound', 'overwrite', and 'auto punch'. Overwrite is the one you don't want, it will re-record everything on subsequent tracks. Use sound on sound. Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    airmeki
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/24 18:27:36 (permalink)
    Thanks Greg. I looked at the M-Audio Software (my soundcard's) but there wasn't a "What you Hear" feature or something similar, or an equivalent. I also checked the recording mode in MC and it was set to Sound on Sound. The "Overwrite" option is unchecked. I did play around with the m-audio sofware/mixer but didn't get a different result. It still happens, when recording vocals in a new track it records all the other tracks as well. The only time it wouldn't do that is if I soloed the vocals track (or muted the rest), but then - of course - I wouldn't hear anything to sing to ...
    Just another one of those little buggers, eh?
    Heinz

Greek2Me
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/24 19:56:54 (permalink)
    Greg is exactly correct, "What-U-Hear" is the proprietary name for the feature on Soundblaster (Creative Labs) products that enables the card to record any signal passing thru it, generated by it, or both. You get there by right clicking on the speaker icon, then Options>Properties>Recording to find where your input is coming from. You may have several inputs available, but you can only enable one at a time. When I replaced a Soundblaster with my current EMU 0404 the "What-U-Hear" option disappeared and all I have available is "WAV", so if you are using something else don't be surprised if it isn't there for you either. I just thought it was a possibility.

Given that your little experiment reproduced your own tracks (not "radio" or other unrelated noise) I'm still bettin that your computer is doing exactly what you are telling it to, NOT what you intended to tell it. 'Puters are funny that way. I'm thinking that your problem is still coming from a setting from your sound card or MC (or even your mixer?), but which I can't say. I'm using MC 2003, so I can't speak to MC3 if thats your installation.

Sorry I can't help more...
    airmeki
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/24 20:16:12 (permalink)
    Greek, you are so right. I always thought I have done something wrong, either a setting in the soundcard-software mixer (m-audio 2496) or a wiring error on my hardware mixer. Altough, the latter I strictly followed the instructions given by Robomusic in one of his older posts. I'll keep diggin' ...
    Heinz

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/24 20:21:20 (permalink)
    Heinz,
    Yeah, I thing Greek2Me has nailed it. Try drawing a diagram of your routing and settings. Sometimes this helps trace the problem.
    airmeki
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/24 20:51:32 (permalink)
    Robert, Greek, Greg ... and everyone of you wonderful people: Just by reading another thread that is very hot right now I stumbled over my problem: It was my on-board soundcard. I read that thread and it was mentioned (I think by you Robert) that the two soundcards could cause conflicts and tend to "fight" over the audio. Well, my on-board soundcard was still enabled, and worse - in the 'Sound and Audio Devices" everything was still set to my old on board soundcard. When I installed my new soundcard I may have thought of the old soundcard but didn't really think I'd have to change settings or something, since both soundcards are completely independent from each other ...
    Man, thank you so much you guys - you rock! Long live this forum!
    Heinz

airmeki
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/24 21:18:55 (permalink)
    Alright, I am back here. In my utter excitement earlier I totally missed how the vocal track was soloed. At this point I wasn't even listening using my headphones - I just watched the leds, and they didn't move, that was enough for me to fly to heaven ... this way I didn't notice that there was no sound.
    I feel so embarrassed, sorry guys. I am back where I was at the beginning, but I ain't gonna give up!
    Heinz

airmeki
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/25 09:20:33 (permalink)
    Today's a new day - and it might just bring the breakthrough in this matter ... let's think positive.

I thought I would "draw" out a "diagram" and my setup for all of you helpful people out there. This will give you guys a better picture. Here I go:

Soundcard: M-Audio Audiophile 2496
    Mixer: Behringer UB1002
    Program: MC3
    Connections:
    Soundcard Out (L&R) to Tape Line In (L&R) on Mixer
    Main Out (L&R) on Mixer to Soundcard In (L&R)
    Control Room Out on Mixer (L&R) to Monitor Speakers
    Headphones are plugged in to "Phones"
    Microphone plugged in Input #1 (XLR) and Phantom Power is on.
    "CD/Tape to Ctrl" is pressed
    "CD/Tape to Mix" is not pressed
    Fader is up at around "0"

Now to the soundcard software:

First Tab (=Monitor Mixer): everything is unmuted and unsoloed (no checkmarks anywhere). When music plays LEDs of "Master Volume" and "WavOut 1/2" are moving.
    Second TAb (=Patchbay Router): H/W Out 1/2 set to "Monitor Mixer"; H/W Out S/PDIF set to WavOut S/PDIF (note: I don't use S/PDIF right now).
    Third Tab (=Hardware Settings): Master Clock set to Internal Xtal, Sample Rate 44100, Multi Track Driver Devices set to "Single and IN-Sync", DMA Buffer Size to 256, Variable Signal Level Outputs set to "Consumer", Asio Options checked to disable audio app use of Monitor Mixer and Patchbay Router; Input Channel Phase +180: Nothing is checked.

Note: I don't see anything similar to "What You Hear" anywhere. I also changed the above mentioned settings around and played with them ... still no success.

Finally, the problem itself:

Project has 11 Midi Tracks, 1 existing Audio Track, and another - newly created - audio track for vocals only. Soft synths in use are Edirol, SampleTank and Sonik Synth. For all three I opened a seperate audio Track and the respective Midi Track Outputs are set to these synths.
    The Input of the new vocal Track says "Stereo M-Audio Delta Asio Mixer In"; the output says "M-Audio Delta Asio Analog".
    Now, after arming the vocal track and starting the project I can already see the Led in this track moving to the beat of the project. I hear the whole song in my headphones.
    After hitting record, singing to the song and ending the recording I solo the track to play back the recording: Here it is: The whole song in one track plus my voice.

Conclusion:
    I have a gutty feeling I am not seeing the forest because of all the trees (if you know what I mean). Something tells me, the problem is right in front of my eyes.
    There's gotta be a tiny little error somewhere burried in the wiring or in the software settings, or even in MC3.
    Oh, btw, the recording mode in MC3 is set to Sound on Sound (NOT Overwrite).
    Something I must have missed or done wrong. Why would this new audio track record all the other tracks?

Wew, I'm gonna go celebrating once this is resolved ...

Thank you all for looking into this and helping me out here!

Heinz.

KenB123
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1229
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/25 10:04:56 (permalink)
    I used to have an old Kustom bass amplifier and cabinet, the roll and pleated antique that was the only bass set up to have at the time,(my god, that was thirty years ago),

So sorry for going off-topic....

Kustom amps. Ah yes. They were the padded ones ones, correct? In red or ocean blue colors (maybe others), with little shiny, metallic specs. I always wonder what happened to all these old amps? Somebody has to have them. Same with the old Farfisa portable keyboards. Where did all they all go.... Kind of like the mysterious elephant graveyards.
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/25 14:11:36 (permalink)
    KenB123:
    Not sure where all the rest of those beautiful vintage pieces went, but I know mine was taken by a wacco little girl to the nearest pawn shop and then right up her nose. She got $20 for it, and I will never see either her or it again.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/25 18:46:48 (permalink)
    Heinz - I have an m-audio Delta 44 - we use the exact same software mixer applet. It appears that you have the m-audio mixer set up correctly. It's the same way I've got mine set up. I do not think there's a setting in MC which would cause you have "track bleed". I believe it will be somewhere in your external signal chain.

Things to check:
    is the sound of your tracking playback in your headphones leaking out and mixing with your voice in the mic? this is especially worrysome if your headphones are not closed Circumaural type cans.
    check the settings on your mixer. I can't troubleshoot your mixer for you since I don't know about the way you using it - but it's a very good possibility that you're sending the signal from that track back into the output of the mixer which is probably going into the 2496's inputs. I mix the playback from the computer into my mixer along with the inputs of my instruments/mics so that my headphones will give me a mix of ALL music already recorded and that being recorded, but doing that sends all the signals into the mixers' main outputs, so I don't send the mains to the sound card's input. I only send the AUX SENDS of the channel I'm actually wanting to record back into the inputs of the sound card.

If you can't figure it out, my suggestion would be to remove the mixer from the signal chain and try recording without it to see if the problem still exists. if it does, then your problem lies within the computer/sound card/MC set up. If it DOESN'T, then the problem lies external in the signal chain - probably in the mixer routing.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Greek2Me
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/25 20:37:05 (permalink)
    EXCELLENT suggestion, Beagle! I worked with a electronics professor who's mantra was, "A to B testing, boys! A to B testing! When you have a complex system, figure out a way to test only ONE thing at a time. Do "A", then change ONE thing and test for "B". Change five things at once and you've got "KPLRQZ" and you'll NEVER find the root of the problem."

Thank you, Professor Bob (Advanced Electronics, TEC)

RMc
    airmeki
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/25 22:21:23 (permalink)
    Thank you very much my fellow Cakewalkers!
    Beagle, I followed your advise and tested A and B seperately (took me a while to figure out what that meant, but with Greek's help I finally did ). Today I can proudly claim to be part of the best forum I've ever, ever been (and there has been plenty).
    First I checked my headphones, but they are nice AKG phones which really don't leak at all (only at higher volume).
    Then I unplugged every cable on the mixer and the soundcard. I went to record straight into the soundcard. Same problem. I replugged everything into the mixer (same wiring as before). Now, I thought, there's only one thing left: Music Creator itself (especially since you said, Beagle, you didn't think there was a problem with the soundcard mixer setup). Now, I went through every single menu item, changed and unchanged every single dropdown that was available. And believe it or not: I found the culprit: It was the input audio driver. You see, my audiophile 2496 soundcard comes with three diffferent drivers, one for S/PDIF only, another one is called Mixer-In and one that says Analog In. In my version of MC3, for some reason I can't select all three drivers at the same time (altough, in the manual it has been suggested to do so). So, I remember setting it to the mixer-in setting because I thought, it needs to be set to the same setting as in the soundcard mixer.
    So, I changed it to the Analog In setting (I don't use the SPDIF in/outs). And, BINGO, it worked like a charm.
    I cannot tell you how relieved I was and am; after trying to find the error for over two days now, and constantly bothering all you good people out there.
    Thanks again to all of you for your continous help. I am a happy, but really exhausted, camper now.
    Heinz.

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/26 12:22:20 (permalink)
    Glad it's working. Since I have not used the 2496, and the delta 44 does not have SPDIF, I was not aware that you needed to choose the input drivers specifically for analog instead of using all three! You've taught me something new today, Heinz!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Greek2Me
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/26 12:33:49 (permalink)
    It is not a "bother" at all, Airmeki. Sometimes, after you've made an honest effort on your own, (i.e. READ THE TUTORIALS!!!), you just come up against something where you have no clue what to do next. The whole POINT of these forums is that, whatever problem you are having, someone has had it before and can save you hours/days of frustration looking for the solution alone. NOBODY can know everything about every setup, but collectively those who frequent this formum encompass most of it, and what we don't know we can figure out together.

Congrats.

Ginoskein auton kai gnoridzo auton, touto ho skopos moi

To know Him, and to make Him known, this my goal.
    airmeki
    RE: another vocals question 2006/09/26 12:34:15 (permalink)
    Glad I could help!
    Heinz.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1