DimPro vs Kontakt request

Author
jcleaver
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41
2006/09/25 16:15:05 (permalink)

DimPro vs Kontakt request

Can anybody give me the lowdown of the advantages DimPro has over Kontakt?

I do have Kontakt already, and am getting DimPro with the upgrade special that Cakewalk is offering. Just curious what people here think.

John

4 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: DimPro vs Kontakt request 2006/09/25 21:16:00 (permalink)
    I do not have Kontakt. But the SFZ format allows you to edit a sample set into the next dimension. What sets this format appart from the others is when you save the edit you are saving a text file which simply points to to the samples. Most other formats must contain the samples which means the file size includes the samples. But with the sfz you could point to 1 gig of samples/save the file/and all you did was add a text file size to your hard drive. The implications are not apparent to the casual user. Any patch surfer wouldn't even notice. And yet this efficiency is built in. And I do believe that Dpro is optimized for live play back if you gig with a laptop. This might not appeal to all users but I for one feel this small addition is so worth the price for me. Dpro rocks. I said so. I do have Vsampler and well I like it as well but the sfz format is the jewell in the crown for Dpro. I didn't even bring up the sound engine in Dpro and its qualities. It's killer and worth the deal
    syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: DimPro vs Kontakt request 2006/09/26 07:21:24 (permalink)
    Even Kontakt is prone to some aliasing, the expression engine (used in Rapture, Dimension and Session Drummer 2) is the cleanest sounding engine available.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Press/ExpressionEngine.asp
    post edited by syrath - 2006/09/26 07:36:25
    InstrEd
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1276
    RE: DimPro vs Kontakt request 2006/09/26 10:13:22 (permalink)
    I have Dim Pro and it sounds great.
    Maybe Cakewalk will take on Gigastudio and Kontakt with there own sampler "Dimension Platinum"

Guy can only wish.

When I was young I lusted after women and fast cars. Now its synth's What has happened to me

Ed
    madratter
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: DimPro vs Kontakt request 2006/09/26 12:56:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jcleaver

Can anybody give me the lowdown of the advantages DimPro has over Kontakt?

I do have Kontakt already, and am getting DimPro with the upgrade special that Cakewalk is offering. Just curious what people here think.

John

I have both. I find Dimension Pro more generally useful for my music but it is very nice having both. The advantages of sfz have already been talked about. Dim Pro has limited multi-timbral support but that isn't very important and I prefer to use multiple instances anyway. Obviously the sound libraries that come with them are different and both have some good stuff in them. Kontakt supports a much wider range of sample formats so that is a plus on its side.

Personally, I have some issues with freezing tracks and Kontakt. It doesn't always render properly in Sonar and Project 5. Just last night I had to bounce a track to audio instead of freezing the track to get it to render properly. No such problems in Dimension Pro.

I like the way in Kontakt you can see on the keyboard the keys for doing articulations and such. I'm not sure Dim Pro even has the equivalent. It might. (For those who don't know, in Kontakt if you hold down one key, it can change the samples that you get when playing other keys. So you could have one key for a Clarinet with the sound rising in volume, another for more stacatto notes, etc.) It wouldn't surprise me if the SFZ format allows this but you would have to then dig into the sfz file to see how the patch is setup.

At this point, I think I generally prefer Dim Pro for the pads, dimensions, leads, etc. and Kontakt for playing real world instruments.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1