Experience W Shrink Wrap Systems?

Author
mosessepher
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2006/09/25 22:44:51 (permalink)

Experience W Shrink Wrap Systems?

We've been looking into making and selling a short run of CDs that wouldn't really be enough to go through a professional service for. Its easy to do most of this yourself now but, we don't know anything about shrink wrapping them. I've been re-searching this topic online but I don't fully understand all the shrink wrap systems that are out there especially on account of most of these companies not providing good picture samples. Can somebody enlighten me? What do we need to do this ourselves and get a good looking product. Here's one company that looks kind of promising. Stevenson Industries

5 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Music
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Experience W Shrink Wrap Systems? 2006/10/01 01:22:42 (permalink)
    You can get a shrink Wrap system now from Discmakers for about $280.

Its a system that would work well for what you need to do.

You will need to hand heat each CD one by one and also cut the wrap individually.

I works OK for small runs.

My music is best understood by children and animals.

-------Igor Stravinsky
    NW Smith
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Experience W Shrink Wrap Systems? 2006/10/02 12:31:28 (permalink)
    I work for a small company that uses shrink wrap for small runs. THere are a lot of different machines out there at different prices. Most of them are simple - they have a roll of clear plastic, and a heated bar that seals the item - then you use a heat gun to shrink it. I recently had to purchase a new machine and after doing much research, I purchased one from an Ebay store in California. They had the best price and it came with extras - like a roll of clear pastic and a replacement kit with teflon tape and heat wire. (These things are usually add a lot more the costs.) I think the name of the company was "Koala Shrink Wrap."

My Website:
    http://www.marwoodwilliams.com
    My Music on Bandcamp:
    http://marwoodwilliams.bandcamp.com

Equipment: Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz, Sonar Platinum, Ramsa WR-S4416 Mixer,  Focusrite  Scarlett 18i6
    mosessepher
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Experience W Shrink Wrap Systems? 2006/10/10 13:11:32 (permalink)
    Thank you both.
    Mr.Music
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Experience W Shrink Wrap Systems? 2006/10/10 18:51:45 (permalink)
    Sure, mosessepher..Good luck.

My music is best understood by children and animals.

-------Igor Stravinsky
    Klippers
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Experience W Shrink Wrap Systems? 2009/07/09 12:49:14 (permalink)
    I know this is a little late, and your issue has probably already been resolved, but these are good questions and this might help someone else.

Packaging CDs like you are doing can be done by two different types of machines. These are I-bar and L-bar machines. The I-bar machines are ideal for low to medium-volume use, which is probably more like what you are doing. I-bar machines cut the film on one side at a time, usually requiring about two passes to completely encapsulate a disk. A heat gun is usually used at this point to shrink the film.

An L-bar machine cuts the film around the disk in one pass and usually uses a heat tunnel to shrink the film. These machine are good for medium to high-volume use.

You can see an I-bar video demo here:

You can see an L-bar video demo here.

Good luck! I hope this helps someone.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1