MellowTronic - Dimension/DimPro Tutorial

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2006/09/26 11:36:06 (permalink)

MellowTronic - Dimension/DimPro Tutorial

The Mellotron: If you've got one, this tutorial certainly won't be cause to sell it. But if you do, please contact B Rock @ ...

However, if you're curious as to how to take a perfectly good string patch and mangle it into retro oblivion, this just might be your roadmap. It'll work with either the original Dimension or Dimension Pro sampler synths. Beyond that, I can see this tutorial evolving into a customized .sfz file that uses .wav files of the original Mellotron tape frames, or variations based on those sets available to 'modern technology'.

It begins with the Full Strings (small).prog included with Dimension(s), and proceeds to tweak and adjust the base parameters into something with "MellowTronic" characteristics. There's extensive use of the randomizing features found in the MIDI Matrix, requiring no outside control from MIDI.

At the Project5 Wiki:

6 Replies Related Threads

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: MellowTronic - Dimension/DimPro Tutorial 2006/09/26 15:30:31 (permalink)
    Jezzus, Tom, that is good. I can see why you don't do the patches - how would a body learn to do it without programming.

nice touches and I always loved the mellotron.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: MellowTronic - Dimension/DimPro Tutorial 2006/09/27 17:59:07 (permalink)
    Very cool. Thanks!
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    RE: MellowTronic - Dimension/DimPro Tutorial 2006/09/27 18:09:25 (permalink)
    A tutorial that speaks directly to my heart.

I've always loved the hauntingly melancholy (and sometimes downright spooky) sound of "the tron".

This is a "freakin' awesome" (in my best American-ese) tutorial Tom. You deserve heaps of praise for the time it took alone, not to mention the content.

Many thanks.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: MellowTronic - Dimension/DimPro Tutorial 2006/09/27 18:17:30 (permalink)
    Brilliant....simply brilliant.

b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: MellowTronic - Dimension/DimPro Tutorial 2006/09/28 17:34:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the nice comments, all. I hope you found this useful. I build these for my own use, and then (much later) attempt to put them into an understandable format. The kinks are already ironed out, so it really doesn't take that long to 'publish'. [As an aside to Brandon: Back at 'cha. You're going to end up 'demoing' me right into an S6 uprade soon enough. I'm just waiting for the dust to settle on the annual ****fest.]

For those of you who have followed through on the patch tweak, I'd like to expand on what I hinted at in the RND Processes section. It's very easy to construct a phat variation on this Mellotron theme, although it stretches the boundaries of realism. Just take the patch as described, Copy Element 1, and Paste it into the other 3 free Elements. With the added overall gain, you might want to drop all the Mix volumes to 50% at this point. Then you start substituting base multisamples from the Load Multisamples dialog. Here's what I did:

E2 - ahh male choir.sfz (from the 21 - Vocals sub-folder) Transpose 1***
    E3 - ahh male choir.sfz (from the 21 - Vocals sub-folder) Transpose 13***
    E4 - wood flute.sfz (from the 22 - Ethnic and World Instruments subfolder) Transpose 0

*** I liked the doubled/octaved 'ahh male choir' better than a combination with the solo female ahh.sfz. By doing so, there is some historical basis as found in the original tape recordings, but also a little problem. You see, the 'guys' in this Multisample are a little ... *ahem* flat. So just transpose them up an extra semitone in the Multisample editor in both E2 and E3. I also enabled that crazy Pitch EG on the flute to scramble it up a bit.

Take a look at the fourth pic in the tutorial. Node#1 (at 47.6 ms.) in the Amp EG borders the per-segment velocity (orange) bar. In each new Amp EG, hold Ctrl and click on that node. That allows you to move that single point without disturbing any of the other nodes. Drag it to a different location in each Element's Amp EG. Now you can press "V" in each, and adjust the amount that velocity affects this segment in each Element. If you're out, say, 250 ms. or so, you can bring it down under the horizontal center line, and it'll work 'backwards'.

Now you can mix down the proportions of note onset timing in all four Elements with your keyboard velocity. Each note played will start with a different mix of strings, choir, and flutes. One more adjustment is necessary, and this is easy: Open up the MIDI Matrix. It's still just controlling Element 1. So in each slot in the Destination column, left-click on the entry four times with your mouse. It'll switch, for example, Sample Offset 1 to Sample Offset All, and on down the line. Now all of the random control prep will apply to your new Elements mixture.

The results? Simultaneous string, choir and flute Mellotron, now available in extra-wide sizes.
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: MellowTronic - Dimension/DimPro Tutorial 2006/09/29 13:42:30 (permalink)
    Most impressive Tom, You are the Master. If all goes well I might have a Baritone Sax sample set captured by next weekend. I'm in negotiation for more with musicians. Swapping video work for samples
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1