Using midi: is my soundcard the prob?

Author
kyle008
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2006/09/26 21:25:09 (permalink)

Using midi: is my soundcard the prob?

Hey all, I'm very new to this midi stuff and I cruised this forum looking for an answer but have had no luck
First off my setup is:
Amd sempron 2gz 1.5mb ram
Soundcard- not sure here- comp is a compaq v2000z- in device manager it says conexant ac-link, also says legacy audio drivers
Im using MC2
Midi controller is a Korg k25

So my problem is latency. All the cases I could find of this problem describe different solutions, all of which I tried. I tried setting all the different driver options and mme and asio worked. However they both have horrible latency, and after messing with them back and forth I lost use of any of them (ms synth doesnt show up under midi devices for either)

But my main question is if anyone is familiar with my soundcard and if so what driver should i be using? when i set it to default, there are no choices under midi devices that produce sound when choosen. Will i be able to have monitoring without a delay, without purchasing an external sound card?

And btw i read the tutorial section by robomusic about latency, but was unable to solve my problem there.

Sorry if i have left out any necessary info. Thanks

3 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Using midi: is my soundcard the prob? 2006/09/26 21:31:57 (permalink)
    kyle - conexant is your soundcard - it's actually just a chip on the motherboard. ASIO won't work with it and it's not likely that WDM will either, but you might be able to get ASIO4ALL to work with it. more than likely it will only work with MME.

unfortunately, you probably can't get rid of the latency if you've already followed Robo's advice without any luck. I have a conexant on my laptop and it simply does not work with CW. I've also tried to help several people on this forum with conexants and have not been able to get many (if any, I'm not sure) to work. in fact, most laptop onboad sound won't work with CW.

Sorry.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    kyle008
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Using midi: is my soundcard the prob? 2006/09/26 23:45:08 (permalink)
    hey thanks for your response, I kinda figured I might be limited by my onboard soundcard. So now my question is does anyone know if the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook Sound Card is a good alternate for me since I pretty much stuck with my laptop only.
    Anyone have experience with this product? I know there are alternatives but this one is priced in my range. Or should i just scrap idea of recording off laptop and wait until i can afford a desktop (as i notice desktop soundcards run much cheaper)?

thanks again
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Using midi: is my soundcard the prob? 2006/09/26 23:59:47 (permalink)
    The SB PCMCIA should work MUCH better than your onboard sound chip, but it's still not going to be the best you can get for the same money you are spending on it. The SBs are designed for gaming, not recording. I don't have any personal experience with PCMCIA cards at all, however. I do know that there are some folks using the Echo PCMCIA cards (~$150).

You can also look at USB as long as you aren't planning on too many inputs simultaneously. Of course, MC is limited to 2 simul inputs anyway, so something like the M-audio fast track might be ok, or the Line 6 Toneport UX1. both can be had for about $100 - but understand that neither of these have phantom power for the mic inputs and if you need phantom power, you'd still need to get a small mixer or mic preamp with PP.

Again - I'm sure the SB will work for you where the on board wont' - I just would rather spend MY money on something designed specifically for recording. but that's MY money - not yours!!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1