Midi Drums

Author
fooman
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1382
2006/10/03 13:49:35 (permalink)

Midi Drums

Hello!
I own S6PE. I'm totally new to midi, grooves, basically anything but recording a rock band doing all audio.
I now have some artists who want to record with me, which means some want to do cover songs along with their original tracks with keyboards and drum tracks I'd have to match pretty well. I'd like to be able to set up a basic drum track within a half hr or so and just have a singer/musician come in and lay down their tracks. This would save a ton of time.

What do I need to be able to do this with Sonar 6? How can I put a basic midi drum track and also put in a specific drum fill (for those cover tunes) every prechorus or interlude? How can I get a drum groove and edit it a bit of it so it matches up with the pattern I have in my head?

Please remember, I'm a total newb when it comes to midi and drum editing. I don't even own a keyboard. I'm fairly certain by what I've seen online that I can do this with a mouse/kayboard and S6PE.

3 Replies Related Threads

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Midi Drums 2006/10/03 20:30:51 (permalink)
    how much do you know about meter and tempo? if you have a grasp of those two concepts then you can probably point and click your way into some decent groove clips in no time. most drum beats have three things going on - the kick, snare and ride. the "ride" instrument is usually a hi-hat but can be cymbal rides or in high-energy sections toms and cymbal crashes. of course there are exceptions but this is the typical drums scenario.

i don't use the staff view in sonar, i use the piano roll view instead. this allows me to imprecisely place notes and automatically humanize the drum groove. i move around the various hits until they "feel" right and then loop as necessary. in my case i'm writing my own songs so it's more difficult, in your case you can use the original song as a guide.

if you don't know much about meter and tempo you'll just have to find a groove approximating what you want with whatever sonar ships as a "session drummer" nowadays and hope for the best. that seems to work great for some but as a control freak i've always rolled my own. i find it helps to have separate tracks for kick+snare, hats/overheads, and toms. this way i can loop effectively while having a manageable number of tracks to monitor in piano roll view to make sure i'm not doing anything impossible (or highly improbable) like hitting two cymbals, a ride and open hi-hat while doing a tom flam and snare drum roll all at once.

- jack the ex-cynic
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Midi Drums 2006/10/04 03:40:19 (permalink)
    I use Groove Monkey and Drum Traks midi loops with several out board modules.

I can usely whip something half decent(basic but solid) out in 30 minutes using drum grid .

The hassle was just initially setting up all of my drum maps.

I like the midi loops as tempo is easy to control and kits can be easily humanized and mixed.

If and when I do modify loops I always export back out to midi into a new loop folder so I have it to use again or modify later.

Groove Monkey has loops to cover most basic styles .They are also organized nicely and include single or multi track formats and include a few drum maps preset for you.
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: Midi Drums 2006/10/04 03:49:52 (permalink)
    Session Drummer 2 which comes with S6 may get you going in the right direction. It has a bunch of drumming styles to choose from. You can then turn these into midi events in the clips pane in Sonar and tweak to your satisfaction.

FWIW, I'm learning how to do this now with Session Drummer 1 (included in Sonar 5).

Have fun!

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1