Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk

Author
scarlettmoon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2006/10/04 12:29:24 (permalink)

Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk

Somehow I've converted all midi files to wav and now when I try to mixdown audio to export as mp3 - the mixdown audio tab appears but the export file option is greyed out. I'm assuming this is because I have changed the formatting to wav. Need to change this back but happened upon it when needed and have no idea what I did.

Can anyone help? Thanks

Scarlett Moon Music

15 Replies Related Threads

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/04 12:38:24 (permalink)
    Hmmm, well I still have Pro Audio 9 on my machine, even though I do most of my work in Sonar Home Studio 4XL now. It's useful that PA9 has the MP3 capability.

Your post is brief and I'm not sure I have a clear picture of your problem, but I assure you it's not because you've mixed the MIDI down to audio--you Have to do that. And it doesn't make sense wanting to "change this back."

Two things--Have you mixed these tracks down to a 2 track master? And have you made sure you're selecting the tracks you want to export?

If not--then you need to first make the 2 track mix, and then you need to select just that master mix and then once again try exporting it as an MP3 file.

Let me know how it works out.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    scarlettmoon
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/04 14:04:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for yor reply - sorry my message was unclear.

I changed my midi files to wav files in order to try to tranfer them to an mp3 player. My husband and I are a working acoustic/electric duo and utilize a sony md player to access midi sequences for the electric part of our performances. This has gotten old however as my back must be turned to the audience during access to the player. We tried a smaller version of an md player to no avail as there was no light behind the display so........ we bought a sandisk mp3 player which has the features we want but will not recognize a wav format -

Sorry this is rather complex...ok so I have to dump the files to media player and rename them with track names or they come up as unknown...hindering performance further. Now since I cannot click on mixdown audio/export as to save them to media player, I may have to burn them to disc in real time and then rip them to media player, rename and try to synch with the outside device (sandisk). These midi files have been either purchased or retreived through the internet via search and I've revamped instruments, effects etc. to upgrade the files for use. I do not play any instrument profficiently hence the previous solution. Started learning pro 9 (after 5 piece band broke up) through trial and error. Still on major learning curve.

Hope this serves to help you to help me find a solution. Perhaps one less complicated?

Thank you - Sharon Epperson
    rbowser
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/04 15:11:42 (permalink)
    Hello again--My head is swimming after reading that COnvoluted problem and your work-around solution. None of that should be necessary. Something isn't right about what you're doing inside the PA9 program.

For reference I have my PA9 open on another computer as I write this. I opened a project which simply consists of a 2-track .wav file mix-down of a bigger project. I go to Tools>Mixdown Audio> and Export to Files is availalable. If I click that, I then proceed to choose the option of exporting the recording as an MP3.

Do you have MIDI tracks still in a project when you try to export? Have you really mixed everything down to a 2-track master? Because you can't export all the tracks of the project as a single MP3 file-you wouldn't want that of course, you want the 2 track mix.

So, if this is the case, and your MIDI tracks are still there with the MIDI data--be sure you are only selecting the .wav file--the 2 track mix.

I'd go on, but I'm suspecting something like what I'm describing above is where you're going on.

Lemme know--Here on the Forum is good, because the info may be useful to someone else in the future.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    scarlettmoon
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/04 18:08:19 (permalink)
    Ok...when I look at the files in my Pro 9 they show up as Windows media wav files (pretty sure that's what they are because they have the icon in front of them but still play in cakewalk). The problem is 1. Win media will not recognize them to import unless I open them through windows, play them and save to playlist and 2. if I do it this way some of the quality of the instruments gets lost in the translation

The ultimate goal is to save the midi files we are using to the SanDisk mp3 player so I can have a mobile device in my hand to go to the next song instead of turning my back to the audience at the end of every sequence. As I said earlier, right now we are using a component Sony Minidisc Player - very inconvenient in a live situation as we both dislike feeling like karaoke dj's. This is why half of our night is done acoustically. Another reason I have to go through media player is if I save them to the sandisk through any other means they come up as title unknown, artist unknown - we'd be playing russian roullette with each set.

Thank you for the responses - I know when I was initially trying this I changed some settings in all three programs (Cakewalk, Media Player and WinAmp) and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I did.

I tried your suggestion but when I go to tools/mixdown audio neither option (export/bounce track) is available. So...back to the drawing board. I wish I had found the forum before I started changing everything. Live and Learn.

Scarlett Moon Music
    rbowser
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/04 18:21:16 (permalink)
    Hello again--A few minutes ago I sent you another direct email, but am here also to say this process has become 100 times more complex than it needs to be.

I want you to start over with importing the MIDI files, playing them on whatever synths you're using so that you have normal .wav audio files. Then mix them to a 2-track master. When you have that, then the MP3 export will be available.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/04 18:32:24 (permalink)
    ahhh... i understand now.

you have MIDI tracks and they will only play in Media Player because they are not actually audio. MIDI tracks are just "sheet music" for a synth to play. you need to insert a soft synth in cakewalk for the MIDI tracks to play, the output of that will be audio ( wav ). then you can select your whole project and export as a wav or mp3 or whatever. the reason they work in media player is because they are using the windows MIDI soft synth that is built into windows. there are infinitely better sounding soft synths you can use for that.

if the MP3 option is grayed out, you may need to activate the mp3 encoder or use an external one. use the forum search function for "mp3 export" or "mp3 encoder" as there are already a ton of threads on this topic.

just make sure that when it comes down to export your audio, that you have your whole project selected. usually i just hit CNTRL-A and all of the tracks should light up ( or turn black depending on your screen settings ) to indicate they are selected. THEN you can export into a mixed WAV file. i recommend that you export as a WAV and then use a separate MP3 encoder to change to MP3 if you need it.
    post edited by Clydewinder - 2006/10/04 18:49:40

The Poodle Chews It.

rbowser
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/04 18:44:03 (permalink)
    OH MAN! Clyde---You got it. I have been thinking Scarlett had her MIDI files as audio because of using synths. You're right.

BUT--the rest, I'm afraid is wrong. Scarlett is using Pro Audio 9. That's the last sequencer Cakewalk made before going Sonar--and PA9 cannot use VST. Not even with the adaptor. Trust me, I know that For Sure. I'm a PA9 user and upgraded, finally, to a Sonar program because of that lack.

The MP3 situation is different with PA9 also--It has a great built in MP3 burner. It's the main reason I keep my PA9 on my computer still.

Scarlett, there are other ways rather than using soft-synths, which unfortunately aren't available for PA9. Do you have any hardware synths, or some available to you? You'll have to have some kind of synth for playing and recording those MIDI files--NOT the standard MIDI synth on your computer's sound card.

THis will produce the .wav files you need for mixing, exporting etc.

THANK YOU CLyde for picking up on something I totally over-looked and made assumptions about.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    scarlettmoon
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/04 19:22:24 (permalink)
    Thank you Clyde however it is not the mp3 that is grayed out but the export/bouce track option.

Ok... The lightbulb just went off on two things. The last time I mixed something down and exported it was an original song that my husband recorded directly to cakewalk through the interface in our tower as a midi file using his Line 6 Variax Acoustic. It did allow me to mix to mp3 and export so I could email.

And thank you for the VST thing. We have sonic forge and I could not for the life of me figure out why I could not import the instruments. I did however find the other instruments embedded in PA9 - Edirol, Korg, etc. and imported them however I am still on a learning curve with patches, banks etc. so the sounds are as convoluted as my continuing problem.

Honestly, for now I think I'm going to do my thing the way I have been only because to reformat all of the songs we do etc. - I think I'd have to resort to something drastic (ok almost wrote dramatic but that too!!!). That means recording to cd directly from Cakewalk (which converts the files) and then ripping them to the library, renaming them and saving them to the mp3 player. It's a pain but it worked before - hopefully it still will.

I did realize that the soft synth thing was not going to work after I researched it in the manual. I have an old keyboard with midi capabilities as well as a Roland sound canvas - is that what you meant in your answer?

Thanks again - Sharon

Scarlett Moon Music
    rbowser
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/04 19:32:25 (permalink)
    footnote--I sent more info to Scarlett in an email. She Can use the computer's sound card for a sound source in PA9 and bounce these MIDI tracks from within the sequencer that way---but as I told her, I know we all shudder to think what that could end up sounding like. Better than this thing of using the media player though!

Scarlett has a keyboard--I've encouraged her to drive it with the MIDI files from PA9, the keyboard's outs going into audio tracks to do a recording that way. PA9 has the built in MP3 burner--I hope she does that. Just an evening or so of work and they'd have much better tracks.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    scarlettmoon
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/04 19:46:55 (permalink)
    If I can hear the files isn't the program already recognizing my card? If so I still can't figure out why the export/bounce to options are greyed out except that....ok I feel like Abbott and Costello....................... 3rrrd base!

Wow!!! This is exhausting!!!! And my husband wonders why I'm stuck in this cave of an office 24/7.

Ok and does this mean my back ground music is going to **** now? I may give up on this mp3 player thing altogether and use the small mini disc player we bought - I'll try to find a lavalier light to clip on it. That way I know the sounds are from cakewalk and my soundcard and not media player.

Wow!!! This is exhausting!!!! And my husband wonders why I'm stuck in this cave of an office 24/7. I think I said that already.

Sharon :)

Scarlett Moon Music
    rbowser
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/04 19:55:40 (permalink)
    hehe--the drama continues. Scarlett and I are also communicating through email--I just now told her--GREat--she has a faboo sound card, so forget the disparaging remarks. It's also already set up in PA9. Great. She's trying to go straight to exporting without bouncing first to audio tracks. I just talked her through what to do in an email.

This is like a soap opera, ain't it folks?

Stay tuned to see how it all turns out!

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    scarlettmoon
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/04 20:00:25 (permalink)
    Ok...did what I think is right...highlight the tracks (did this both playing and not) went to tools/mixdown audio - neither export nor bounce tracks were available as options.

What am I doing wrong..highlight within the time line? I highlighted all the tracks I want to either bounce or export, I even tried all the other options in tools - change audio etc. to see if that worked - of course with a file I feel I can lose. Bounce is not bouncing. :(

Scarlett Moon Music
    Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/04 23:30:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: scarlettmoon

Ok...did what I think is right...highlight the tracks

It's been a long time since I've used PA9 but when you say "highlight the tracks" do you mean:

a) I clicked on the clips in the track view.

or

b) I clicked on the actual track numbers on the left-hand side of the Track View.

scarlettmoon
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/05 05:34:50 (permalink)
    Both of those things highlights the tracks through the end of the song as well as clicking the upper left corner aboe track one as far as I've seen.

Also rbowser had me go through port assignment for my soundcard - it is all pointed in the right direction but still has not helped open those grey areas so...

It continues...

Thank you to everyone who's helped so far...I do have an immediate solution for our gig this weekend...forget the mp3 player and utilize the md player instead so I can record right out of cakewalk...and continue to work on the problem.

Scarlett Moon Music
    rbowser
    RE: Mixdown audio in Pro 9 Cakewalk 2006/10/05 11:30:59 (permalink)
    UPDATE!

I hung in there last night, having an email conference with Scarlett, trying to lick this problem she reported here. But we were running around in circles, because I was simply too rusty on the details about using Pro Audio 9.

I'm posting this here for the sake of other Pro Audio users who may find this in a topic search.

It's been over a year since I last recorded in PA9--how soon we forget. I already knew the program is pre-VST, and so unable to use even the Cakewalk VSTS adaptor. That's the main reason I finally upgraded to Sonar software.

Back when I Was using that program, only rarely had I recorded any tracks using my old computer's sound card. In an emergency when I needed one or two more sounds available, I'd use it.

Scarlett is basically just trying to get some audio tracks out of her imported MIDI tracks, using her sound cards synth since she says it sounds pretty good.

I kept trying to have her Bounce the tracks--WRONG.---That's what I mean about "how soon we forget."---I kept thinking of all the bouncing I'm accustomed to doing now in Sonar--But in recording a sound card synth in PA9, one has to simply solo the MIDI tracks and record IN REAL TIME on to a new audio track. DUH ME--I was totally stuck in the wrong hole as I tried to help Scarlett last night.

After recording some audio tracks from those MIDI tracks, her next step is to simply export them as MP3 files. PA9 has a great MP3 burner built in to it, and that part is super simple. She'll have what she needs in no time.

End of the Scarlett Soap Opera. Now, for a commercial break.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1