• Total Posts : 14
2006/10/17 01:33:23 (permalink)

Rapture Polyphonic Portimento?

Is this possible? If not, why?

3 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture Polyphonic Portimento? 2006/10/17 09:09:31 (permalink)
    Yes, you can do polyphonic portamento, but not from the front panel. You have to tinker a little with Rapture 'under the hood'. Here's poly/porta as applied to a pulse wavetable. Copy and paste the text file below. Substitute whatever sound source that you want in place of the "pulse", and save it as something like Polyphonic Portamento.sfz. To make life easier, save it in the same subfolder as your new sound source.

There's some interesting results to be had by limiting overall polyphony in the Element, but note that a setting of zero polyphony overrides the .sfz settings. Here's the source thread for this information, slightly adapted from René's original posted file. That reply was intended for Dimension (Pro), but the process works the same in either synth.

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    // Polyphonic Portamento Base SFZ File
    //-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<region>
    sample=013 - pulse mk.wav oscillator=on

// Replace 013 - pulse mk.wav above with the sound of your choice.
    // Remove oscillator=on for use with larger one-shot Multisamples.
    // Selecting mono/legato mode (Polyphony=0) in the GUI overrides the polyphonic portamento.

eg16_sustain=1
    eg16_level0=0 eg16_time0=0
    eg16_level1=1 eg16_time1_oncc1=10 eg16_shape1=1
    eg16_glide_speed=.1
    eg16_pitch=1200

// CC#1 (mod wheel) controls the portamento rate.

Edit: Try it with Ring Mod. Especially as the second Element in a Ring Modulate Previous Elements pair.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/10/17 10:04:28
    saxmidiman
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Rapture Polyphonic Portimento? 2006/10/17 23:49:02 (permalink)
    Thanks B. Got it after playing with things a little. At first did not know where to put it. Now I do.
    Also, changed the controller number to something else to assign to a knob. The coolest thing about this is that now I understand how to do things with the .sfz's.
    One question though, I am used to "playing the knob" controlling the portamento in "real time" on hardware synths. This does not work in rapture. Any explanations?
    Peace,
    Les
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture Polyphonic Portimento? 2006/10/18 10:06:11 (permalink)
    Glad you got it worked out, Les. I'm trying to strike a balance between too much info and not enough. I'm sure that not many people would want to give up the mod wheel for poly portamento, but it's a control that most everyone would have access to for starters. I should've mentioned that the .sfz normally goes into the Multisamples folder.
    I am used to "playing the knob" controlling the portamento in "real time" on hardware synths. This does not work in rapture.
    I think that I know what you mean here. Play the note, then change the portamento knob as a variable time "pitchbender" of sorts, right? I suppose that would be because Rapture triggers the portamento at Note On. Whatever rate is detected at Note On remains in force until the next Note On.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: You may find using the MIDI Matrix as coming closer to that behavior. Set yourself up a slot like this:
    CC 1 (Mod wheel) -> Pitch 1 -> (+/-) 1200 -> 20.0
    The Source can be any controller, and the Destination needs to point to the correct Element. The "portamento time" (uni-directional) is a combination of Depth distance in cents, and the amount of Smoothing curve applied. You can vary the response of a a setup like this in "real time" with external control.

For a more extreme variation on this, set the Multi on with some extra oscillators, and the Detune widget to zero. In the Matrix, use a line like this:
    CC 1 (Mod wheel) -> Detune 1 -> (up to +/-) 4800 -> 10.0
    With this configuration, you can control some outrageous upward and downward "portamento" with a real-time control, and shift them +/- four octaves [!!!]. This is something cool that you're not going to get from the main GUI alone. You may prefer to set the Quality from Std to Hi in the Element for extreme pitchbending gymnastics. :End of Edit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll notice that it also seems to work off Note number in a way. If you play a held chord, then release and re-trigger one of the central notes, it doesn't re-trigger a glide until you add an adjacent note first. Sort of a mix of what you'd see in hardware between normal & legato mode, with key poly. It also strikes me that any distance between notes takes the identical amount of time to complete a portamento glide.

Descriptive terms for porta functions have always been counterintuitive to me, as any given synth may assume mono/poly, key mono/key poly, fixed, variable, and scaled approaches to mean different things. (As in: fixed/variable ... absolute time or note span?) FWIW, I'm working on some variations using .sfz and multiple switches/controls assigned to the same message, including a semitone-based glissando mode. Also, a few front-panel and Matrix workarounds for quasi-portamento. If I come up with some workable solutions, I'll be sure to post them here.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/10/18 11:51:46
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1