Dimension Pro at higher sample rates (hmmm...)

Author
jvanva
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 239
2006/10/18 18:55:06 (permalink)

Dimension Pro at higher sample rates (hmmm...)

Hi all,

Here's what I'm using:

Dimension Pro from within Project 5 (using Elevator Radio and Taboo Style demo songs)

HP DV1000 Laptop
E-Mu 1616 Audio Interface with latest drivers. (Latency set at 50ms)

As an exercise in learning more about my sound card I started experimenting with higher sample rates (88.2Khz and 96KHz). I tested some projects using Sonar (TTS-1 primarily) and Reason which performed flawlessly. When I got around to testing with Project 5 I ran into some interesting phenomena.

At 44.1KHz sample rate everything is fine.

At 88.2Khz Elevator Radio was playing fine until the synth solo using the Exposed Saw patch. The Exposed Saw patch tetered on the edge of sounding fine and being very distorted (like fuzz box distortion), sometimes falling over the edge. At 96Khz the Exposed Saw zippered and caused dropouts at various points during the solo. I tried changing patches for the synth solo and some exhibited similar behavior and some played fine.

I tried Taboo Style at 88.2Khz. During the fast part with the trading 8's synth solos, both of the soloing synth tracks were in and out of distortion.

Interestingly though, all of the non-synth parts showed no distortion in either project

Did I do something wrong? Was I using Dimension Pro outside of its specified range? Or did I stumble onto a bug?

jvanva

My reputation precedes me - otherwise I'd be late for all my appointments.

5 Replies Related Threads

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dimension Pro at higher sample rates (hmmm...) 2006/10/18 19:25:52 (permalink)
    Do you get the same distortioin when rendering to audio? If not, you might be running out of CPU power. I'm surprised that TabooStyle runs at 88.2 at all, it's an extremely demanding project.

-René
    jvanva
    RE: Dimension Pro at higher sample rates (hmmm...) 2006/10/18 22:13:12 (permalink)
    Hi René,

I did have to freeze quite a few tracks to play Taboo Style, but only for the beginning of the tune. Once the drums kick in the CPU usage isn't too bad.

FWIW, with Elevator Radio, I soloed the synth solo and still had the distortion at rather low CPU usage with the Exposed Saw.

I didn't try rendering yet, but I will try that next and report the result.

jvanva

jvanva
    RE: Dimension Pro at higher sample rates (hmmm...) 2006/10/19 15:44:04 (permalink)
    Ok,

I tried rendering the Radio Elevator synth solo at 88.2KHz and 96KHz to WAV. The distortion and dropouts are still present in the rendered WAV file.

Anyway, I traced it to the pitch bending that occurs during the solo. If I remove the pitch bending events from the clip, the distortion is gone. I also created a midi clip with a sustained note over a number of measures and drew in some pitch bend events and distortion occurs where the pitch bends occur.

jvanva

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension Pro at higher sample rates (hmmm...) 2006/10/19 16:21:10 (permalink)
    I traced it to the pitch bending that occurs during the solo.
    I didn't want to offer my $.02 until I saw those magic words. This has come up before; I've experienced it myself. I have no real solutions, but I did post what I had found out through experimentation [here].
    jvanva
    RE: Dimension Pro at higher sample rates (hmmm...) 2006/10/19 18:04:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for that reference B Rock. I had not seen that thread before. So this is known behavior.

Anyway it's good to know that I can stop the head scratching now . Hopefully a fix will appear for this someday.

It's not a problem for me at present since I still work mainly at 44.1K. Someday, though, I do intend to work at higher sample rates and it would be nice if I could rely on Dimension Pro to work at those rates as well without any limitations.

jvanva

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1