whats your system idle ram usage at?

Author
kyle008
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2006/10/22 01:43:23 (permalink)

whats your system idle ram usage at?

Im just curious, since reading other threads many of you mention your comp's being used almost stricktly as a DAW. Whats a good system idle ram usage for such a setup? Mines runs at 159 at its lowest with nothing open.

Also, if someone could post a log of all the applications they have running with no prog's open that would be great. Im just curious what should be running on a stripped down (xp updated though) DAW computer.

3 Replies Related Threads

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: whats your system idle ram usage at? 2006/10/24 20:31:48 (permalink)
    right now, subtracting firefox and a scrabble game server, i'm running at 101mb. i could drop my nvidia driver service and get back another 3mb and of course task manager takes up 2mb.

you are wondering about applications open with no programs, or processes? if you don't have any applications open then you shouldn't have any applications open... =) as far as processes, here's what's on my list (minus what i mentioned above):

csrss.exe
    ctfmon.exe
    explorer.exe
    lsass.exe
    services.exe
    smss.exe
    svchost.exe (x5)
    System
    System Idle Process
    wdfmgr.exe
    winlogon.exe

ram usage will go up and down so don't consider what you observed to be hard and fast.

- jack the ex-cynic
    kyle008
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: whats your system idle ram usage at? 2006/10/24 20:42:22 (permalink)
    yeah, i meant processes not applications. Thanks for your post jack, it seems real apparent that I need a fresh install. My process list is flooded with hp junk and I've already deleted as much as I can confirm of what they do.

It case you happen to check this post again, is a 4800 ide hard drive (dont know seek time) adaquate enough for single track recording via an external audio interface? Good enough to last me until tax return time?
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: whats your system idle ram usage at? 2006/10/24 21:42:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kyle008

yeah, i meant processes not applications. Thanks for your post jack, it seems real apparent that I need a fresh install. My process list is flooded with hp junk and I've already deleted as much as I can confirm of what they do.

It case you happen to check this post again, is a 4800 ide hard drive (dont know seek time) adaquate enough for single track recording via an external audio interface? Good enough to last me until tax return time?

if 4800 is the spindle speed then probably. depends on how many tracks you play though - i'd seriously consider a 5400 if you've got a laptop and you do projects with 20+ tracks. watch the disk i/o meter and if it ever gets near 50% for more than a second every once in awhile i'd say it's time to upgrade.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1