Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches

Author
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
2006/10/23 02:58:15 (permalink)

Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches

I was thinking it would be nice if all 3 phases of patch groups for Rapture and DPro could be combined into one file system, so that the browser would reflect just one master set of patches in each category such as "pads", "leads", "keys", etc... The way I have it now, I have the orginal categories, plus an "Expansion Pack" file, which itself has the same categories as sub menus. So you wind up having to look in more than one place for a certain type of sound.

I guess the user could do this via re-filing all of the patches that way, but it would be nice if Cake might offer that as a download. In the meantime I'll experiment with the re-filing.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!

21 Replies Related Threads

beethoven17
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/23 10:15:54 (permalink)
    I think there's a limit to what we can expect Cakewalk to do! Especially as categorising sounds is such a personal thing. I've kept a backup of the 'factory' program layout and gradually started moving sounds around into folders which are more useful to the way I work.

Something I'd certainly find useful in Dim Pro, though, is a search function! Not infrequently I have to use the Windows search option to track down a sound whose name I only partly remember!

andrew
    Sonar 8.5 PE,  Saffire LE, Garritan Steinway & Orchestra, EZDummer, Rapture, Truepiano, no voice, little talent
    ccmacdon
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/23 15:25:43 (permalink)
    I disagree... if CW were to simply slip the new sounds into the existing patch categories, it would be very difficult (impossible) to audition all the new sounds that have been included with the new expansion packs.. I prefer the way it has been done where the new expansion pack(s) listed at the end of the patch list.

The patches can be rearranged manually if necessary and I think there is another thread discussing this, but it sounds like a bit of work.. and not worth it in my opinion.

By the way CW, I love the expansion packs... Dimension Pro is my primary "goto" VST these days.. well done!!
    Craig
    Nick P
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/23 20:05:47 (permalink)
    Interesting points of view. I guess I was thinking that if someone bought Rapture today, they would receive or be entitled to all sounds from the original set, Expansion Pack 1, and Expansion Pack 2. If they wanted to look for a bass sound, it seems more efficient to search under a single bass category, rather than bass, Expansion Pack 1 bass, Expansion Pack 2 bass.

But like you guys said, it's not that big of a deal to re-arrange these myself, so that's my plan.

It is important to be able to distinguish the newly acquired sounds from the sounds already present, but once done, I think all the sounds should be grafted in to a single group.

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/23 20:12:36 (permalink)
    Moving the patches from the XP subfolders into the 'mainstream' ones could take 2 minutes maximum. I could do it and make 'complete' sets available for download, but what if the user has tweaks on the factory set? Now we'd need to compare patches for changes. And what if the user renamed a program?

I would think that it's easier done at home by drag-and-drop in Windows Explorer. 2 minutes max I promise.

-René
    jayson
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/23 20:24:24 (permalink)
    I'd love to see something like NI KoreSound patch browser in Cakewalk's plugins. It looks like a really nice way to sorting and classifying patches.

Cheers,

jayson
    Nick P
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/24 02:08:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: René

Moving the patches from the XP subfolders into the 'mainstream' ones could take 2 minutes maximum. I could do it and make 'complete' sets available for download, but what if the user has tweaks on the factory set? Now we'd need to compare patches for changes. And what if the user renamed a program?

I would think that it's easier done at home by drag-and-drop in Windows Explorer. 2 minutes max I promise.

-René

Thanks, Rene. Will do. Good idea!

ronniebee
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 632
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/24 03:23:15 (permalink)
    I agree that finding patches is sometimes hard, and I'm tempted to reorg mine. Since I have a backup in the box of all samples, and have backed up my x packs, it should be no problem.

One thing I have found helpful is: Everytime I find a nice sound I like, I give it a pre-set name, such as str-name-of-string. Since the pre-sets are sorted Alpha, they drop into whatever prefix catagory I set. a First letter find, and a rename on the preset file would be wonderful.

You know, Type "g" for Gitters

Ronnie Bee - X3 Producer, 64b 2.6 Q Core PC, Win7, 8mb. 11TB ATA HD Space, Focusrite Pro40 DTS SurSnd, Voice Prism Plus, Dim-Pro & Rapt 64bit. Yamaha Motif XF. RonnieBee'sGigabyteBand - Enchanting Moments Video Studio
    http://www.soundclick.com/pro/?BandID=231503
    http://www.cdbaby.com/all/ronniebee
    Nick P
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/24 09:59:34 (permalink)
    Well, now that we're on the subject, and being one who loves to organize compusively, you could create your own favorites folder and throw your favorite patches in there. I already created a folder called "Nick's First Tries" which are my first attempts at programming.

What's cool about Rene's synths (and what he alluded to earlier) is that the browser is based on a typical Windows file hierarchy, so it's a snap to reorganize the programs to your own preferences. Then a quick F5 while the browser's open, and everythings in its place!

inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/24 15:34:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Nick P

Well, now that we're on the subject, and being one who loves to organize compusively, you could create your own favorites folder and throw your favorite patches in there. I already created a folder called "Nick's First Tries" which are my first attempts at programming.

What's cool about Rene's synths (and what he alluded to earlier) is that the browser is based on a typical Windows file hierarchy, so it's a snap to reorganize the programs to your own preferences. Then a quick F5 while the browser's open, and everythings in its place!

Excellent.
    I didn't know that, and hadn't gotten around to trying (apathy... can't deny it).

I have quite a few things I'd like to move around.

As a curiosity:
    Does moving the patches around cause any known problems during updates?

- zevo
    René
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/26 09:37:52 (permalink)
    It doesn't. Programs are considered 'user data', so updates will keep them in place.

-René
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/26 15:21:54 (permalink)
    It doesn't. Programs are considered 'user data', so updates will keep them in place.
    -René

Good to hear.
    I actually started moving the programs around to match my searching style, and I must say it's particularly easy, and works like a charm.

I now have everything categorized the way I want, and finding patches (particularly my favorites, discovered when just roaming the sounds) is quick.

Thanks again for the hard work.

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2006/10/26 15:37:29
    madratter
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/26 15:40:52 (permalink)
    I got my Komplete 4 update yesterday and had time to fool with Absynth 4. What they have done is database all the patches so that you can select from different categories (piano, accoustic, cinematic) and it will narrow down the choices to a list of patches with those attributes. It works very well. I love Dimension Pro and would really really REALLY like to see something like that implemented. You also can do things like rate the patches, etc. Dimension Pros system is better than most but the database in Absynth 4 is the cats meow and is the best way of doing this that I have seen implemented so far.

I know most people probably don't want someone like Rene spending time on something like that which isn't sound related. But you could put a database programmer on it who knows nothing about sound stuff and not waste Rene's time.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/26 15:58:29 (permalink)
    Once again, you can organize your patches however you want.

Put in a slot for grunts, another for squeels and a third for pops and move whichever programs you want into it.

I have left the standard org intact, but made a program folder for each synth called 3rd party for B-rocks, Franks, etc. I have another called Alan's for my presets.

After not much thought but some org problems I moved all non-Cake samples and sfz files withinCake's c: folder under 3rd party samples or somesuch label.. Everything for DimP (mostly) and Rapture goes there so either synth can use the same info. I copy it to my 2nd hard drive for backup.

It seems to work, tho no doubt I will find flaws and others will kindly point them out.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    madratter
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/26 17:08:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: AT

Once again, you can organize your patches however you want.

Put in a slot for grunts, another for squeels and a third for pops and move whichever programs you want into it.

You absolutely can. Not disputing that. But what you can't do without a lot of work is find the combination of patches that have both squeels and pops let along more complicated combos. And if you should organize them all multiple ways then you have a ton of duplicate patches. And then if you change one you need to search everywhere else to find where it might be. Try what Absynth 4 is doing. I like it much better.

Have you tried what Absynth 4 or FM8 are offering?

I'm not here to diss Dim Pro and Rapture. I truly like Dim Pro and am very glad I bought it. And compared to some of the old bank based schemes (like in FM7 and Absynth 3) it is much better in terms of organization. But Absynth 4 has leap frogged it in this respect.

It is a work flow thing. Imagine you with a bunch of band mates working on a song. They decide they want something piano and guitar like that is somewhat ethereal. In Absynth 4 you select those things and it may or may not have a patch to suit. But you only have to look at a very few. In Dim Pro your going to end up spending a whole lot more time looking for that patch unless you happened to have guessed correctly and organized your stuff just right ahead of time.

And this database feature they have is very quick and easy to use.
    René
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/26 20:03:19 (permalink)
    That's correct. A few just-released instruments have an edge on patch management... somehow. These new features don't consist of 'just some database code' though: *loads* of metadata have to be manually written in every patch to allow those database facilities. And then, what is 'mellow' or 'evolving' for me... just give them a longer ride and you'll see.

For many users, enhancements of that kind are very welcome. For others (like myself, who admittely have no problems with going thru 2349238492 patches one by one), are certainly not. We the others wish the innovation and improvements would've been somewhere else, which would've ended in our music

FWIW we did have several incarnations of metatags when we did DP and RP browsers, but noone saw the light. Perhaps one day.

-René
    post edited by René - 2006/10/26 20:19:30
    dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/26 23:09:46 (permalink)
    I think Rhino was one of the pioneers of the "patch database" design.

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/26 23:40:25 (permalink)
    Yea, there are all kinds of ways to organize things, esp. patches. And having "etheral" as a data search might be nice. Of course, René makes a point for others doing the tagging, and I'd hate to have to tag everything myself.

What about a simple name search - or is that what absyth and Kore do? I mean, if I name a patch "wet rez bass patch square wave 16 " (which might be an actual name I'd use) it would be nice to search the name like a data base. Find wet rez patches and puff - however many appear in the browser. I would hate to have someone else decide what is an "etheral pad" as opposed to devilish, but I can't see myself going through 500 patches inputting information. I usually start with some preset and screw it up to my liking and rename it.

Would that be too hard, René?

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Nick P
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/27 01:47:32 (permalink)

That's correct. A few just-released instruments have an edge on patch management... somehow. These new features don't consist of 'just some database code' though: *loads* of metadata have to be manually written in every patch to allow those database facilities. And then, what is 'mellow' or 'evolving' for me... just give them a longer ride and you'll see.

For many users, enhancements of that kind are very welcome. For others (like myself, who admittely have no problems with going thru 2349238492 patches one by one), are certainly not. We the others wish the innovation and improvements would've been somewhere else, which would've ended in our music

FWIW we did have several incarnations of metatags when we did DP and RP browsers, but noone saw the light. Perhaps one day.

-René

Personally, coming from the old days of 3 digit displays such as on a Prophet V, the way you can organize and re-organize patches in Rapture and Dimension Pro and then have the browser refresh to reflect that is nothing short of amazing. Works great for me!

madratter
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/27 09:38:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: AT

Yea, there are all kinds of ways to organize things, esp. patches. And having "etheral" as a data search might be nice. Of course, René makes a point for others doing the tagging, and I'd hate to have to tag everything myself.

What about a simple name search - or is that what absyth and Kore do? I mean, if I name a patch "wet rez bass patch square wave 16 " (which might be an actual name I'd use) it would be nice to search the name like a data base. Find wet rez patches and puff - however many appear in the browser. I would hate to have someone else decide what is an "etheral pad" as opposed to devilish, but I can't see myself going through 500 patches inputting information. I usually start with some preset and screw it up to my liking and rename it.

Name search would be good. That way when I want Mamooth , almost instant gratification.

The way Absynth 4 does it is with actual tags to the patch, not in the name. They do have a search function however that works on the name. And it searchs as you type in. So as you start to type in "clock" the number of patches shown narrows down until you end up with just 3. Again, very nice.

As for how you do the attribute search, they have 5 columns (Instrument, Source, Timber, Articulation, Genre). Each column has a bunch of different choices (Piano, Organ, Synth, Guitar, etc. under Instrument). You can click one or more choices within the column and it narrows things down (actually the instrument column you can only pick 1).

http://www.native-instruments.com/uploads/pics/A4-Browser-Search.jpg

Anyway, sounds like Rene doesn't want to add this sort of thing so it is mute. But personally I would love to see it.
    post edited by madratter - 2006/10/27 10:35:43
    René
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/27 11:22:20 (permalink)

Certainly not. In the Mac side, we've been considering Spotlight integration for a while. In the PC side, we're watching the Vista equivalent closely. In either case, patch search is a very common FR.

Anyway, sounds like Rene doesn't want to add this sort of thing so it is mute. But personally I would love to see it.

Does it? I don't recall expressing anything about what I'd like for *our* instruments regarding patch management.
    I only mentioned my way-less-than-gold experience with the instruments you brougth as example, including KORE in regards to "instant patch management gratification".

Users opinions are essential, and total-manpower budget for updates is always going to be limited. Therefore, say we have two hundred development hours to apply to Dimension Pro or Rapture, we'd like to be sure that a better patch-management scheme is what users want most.

If it is, I'm happy with it. If it isn't, I'm not

-René
    madratter
    RE: Organizing all Rapture and DPro Patches 2006/10/27 11:52:57 (permalink)
    Rene:

Good to hear we may get some kind of name search function. That alone would indeed be a help.

Other possible things that are much easier than meta-tagging everything:

1. Allow right clicking and adding a patch to a favorites folder. I already have setup a favorites folder of my own that I save to. But hopefully the difference would be that it would point to the original patch, not be a copy. That way if you modify it, it gets modified both in the favorites list and in the original layout.

2. Even better, let us rank patches and then sort on the rankings.

The nice thing about dimension pro is its versatility and great sound. The number of presets available and the expansion packs are also much appreciated. But it does mean often auditioning innumberable patches trying to find what I want. I'll grant you that is a happy problem to have.

I do like the current patch management system quite a bit. In my opinion it is a step up from most of the competition. So as I said earlier on, I'm not disrespecting dimension pro/rapture; just suggesting improvements I think would make them even better.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1