Studio Configuration???

Author
sethbrand_12
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2006/10/24 21:40:44 (permalink)

Studio Configuration???

Hey guys!

I am thinking about trading in my pro tools mpowered and buying sonar 6 producer edition. I was wondering how I could configure my studio to be able to record and then mix on an external board using sonar? What would I need to buy and how would I need to set it all up to be able to mix on an external board to where it will show up in sonar? I basically want a control surface for sonar with as many faders for mixing as possible. What board is good for this? Any info would be great! Thanks!

Seth

11 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Studio Configuration??? 2006/10/24 22:46:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sethbrand_12

Hey guys!

I am thinking about trading in my pro tools mpowered and buying sonar 6 producer edition. I was wondering how I could configure my studio to be able to record and then mix on an external board using sonar? What would I need to buy and how would I need to set it all up to be able to mix on an external board to where it will show up in sonar? I basically want a control surface for sonar with as many faders for mixing as possible. What board is good for this? Any info would be great! Thanks!

Seth

Well, first a "board" that you can record from is different then a control surface. There are a few small devices that do both but you need to understand how things work. Most control surfaces don't have any audio connections, they are just a big fancy (expensive) mouse. They don't do anything you can't do with the mouse other then make a mess of your envelopes with a ton of nodes. Unless you just must have one for some reason spend the big money on your audio interface and preamps (or mixer).

First step is to determine how many inputs you need at one time. For example if you record bands with a real drum set miced up with lots of mics, plus guitar and bass amps you need a bunch of inputs, maybe even as many as 16. If you need to set up more then one headphone mix to go to several headphone amps you might also need an audio interface with more then one set of outputs.

There are lots of interfaces to choose from with at least 8 analog inputs and some have ADAT so you can add anther 8 with a 8 channel preamp that has an ADAT out. You can also get mixers with a firewire connection like the Mackie Onyx to get a lot of inputs. MOTU even makes an audio interface with 24 in and 24 out !! if you need that many.

The cool thing about Sonar is that you don't have to buy one brand you can use any interface you want and pick the quality and number of inputs you need. I use a Lynx Two card for maximum quality because I only need a few inputs.

How many inputs do you think you will record at once on the largest session you would have ?
    sethbrand_12
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Studio Configuration??? 2006/10/25 01:50:34 (permalink)
    Hey Frank thanx for the quick reply!

I currently have pro tools mpowered and an m-audio firewire 1814 interface. i record full bands and need at least 8 mic preamps. I have a 16 channel peavey mixer that i run the mics into then from there to my interface and into pro toos. I have always mixed with a mouse, and want to mix with a mixer and get my hands on it. I know that i can do that with the m-audio project mix interface that is out, i just wanted to see if i had any other options as far as getting my hands on some knobs when mixing. But the project mix only has about 8 faders, and if my song has 24 tracks, then how can i mix all of them. im sure there is a button or switch on the project mix interface to be able to toggle through different tracks? I just know that in commercial studios they are mixing with a board and not always a mouse, and i want to know how to hook up my studio so i can do that. i am an audio student in college, but haven't gotten that far yet. any more info would be greatly appreciated? Thanks again!!!

Seth
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Studio Configuration??? 2006/10/25 10:46:08 (permalink)
    I figured I would chime in as I own one of these expensive "mice" (Mackie Control) It was worth the money in my opinion. No, it is not a substitution for good mics or audio interfaces, but it can make your workflow much better. It is only 8 channels, so you have to toggle over to access the other tracks. I assume the Mackie works with the M-Powered stuff. Having used the Mackie with both Sonar and Pro Tools, it works better with Pro tools. I think Behringer makes a controller as well, but I don't know if it works with Sonar.
    Since you are in the early stages of learning your craft, I would suggest sticking with the basics for now.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Studio Configuration??? 2006/10/25 11:12:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sethbrand_12

Hey Frank thanx for the quick reply!

I currently have pro tools mpowered and an m-audio firewire 1814 interface. i record full bands and need at least 8 mic preamps. I have a 16 channel peavey mixer that i run the mics into then from there to my interface and into pro toos. I have always mixed with a mouse, and want to mix with a mixer and get my hands on it. I know that i can do that with the m-audio project mix interface that is out, i just wanted to see if i had any other options as far as getting my hands on some knobs when mixing. But the project mix only has about 8 faders, and if my song has 24 tracks, then how can i mix all of them. im sure there is a button or switch on the project mix interface to be able to toggle through different tracks? I just know that in commercial studios they are mixing with a board and not always a mouse, and i want to know how to hook up my studio so i can do that. i am an audio student in college, but haven't gotten that far yet. any more info would be greatly appreciated? Thanks again!!!

Seth

I would not assume what commercial studios do, or that it's the best way to do things. Many commercial studios are full of "old guys" that have many reasons doing things the way they do. I think a lot of it have to do with "looking" like they can do something no one else can do and has nothing to do with making a good recording or mix. Many studios keep their old mixers just for looks and don't even use them for anything other then headphone mixes but it appears to be the centerpiece of the studio. Some of the old expensive ones have decent mic preamps in them and can be good for that.

As you might guess I'm not a fan of control surfaces, the only one I use is the Frontier Design Tranzport, and I like to think of it as a remote control, I don't use it during mixing only during tracking.

In a modern studio there is not a one to one relationship between hardware (controls, I/O ect) and tracks in a project. For example you can do unlimited tracks with only one input if you are overdubing. Same way with controls, you could have one set of controls and use that for any channels buy selecting the channel.

If you want a control surface I would keep it separated from the audio interface, just get a control surface that is midi or USB with no audio connections. That way if you need to replace (or upgrade) one you don't have to throw out the other. You can also pick better quality converters that way and unlike control surfaces those do affect the quality of the recording. There are not many big control surfaces on the market and all are overpriced. Mackie and Tascam are about it for the big ones. Even those may not be supported forever, so they my end up being useless in the future. You will spend many hours trying to figure out what they can and can't do and fixing problems... I'm trying to tell you it's not worth it.

When you move a knob on a channel that is "armed for automation" in your software all it does is cause the software to make a bunch of nodes on an envelope and move them, that's it. Unlike using the mouse in Track View you are flying blind in most cases so there is a VERY good chance you will need to back up and try it again. This is a level of frustration an engineer does not need in the studio. When you make the adjustment with the mouse in Track View you can quickly get it perfect the first time and be done with it. Better yet you can see the wavform so you know exactly where to make the nodes and just the number it takes to get the job done, so any future adjustments are easy. With a control surface you end up with a huge number of nodes that make adjustments almost impossible.

The things I spend the big hardware money on are the front and back end of the system. A good selection of good micrphones, the best preamps I can afford, the best sound card (or converters) I can afford, the best monitoring system I can afford. Those are the things that make a difference in the sound quality of the tracks and your ability to hear what you are doing at mix time.

Spend the money you would spend on a control surface to buy two of the largest and fastest LCD monitors you can find, that's your board.

OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: Studio Configuration??? 2006/10/25 11:23:59 (permalink)
    I have owned a Tascam FW-1884 and it was very nice, but after using it for a while it just over-complicates the whole process of recording audio with a DAW. With automation and envelopes, there is nothing you can't do with a mouse and keyboard, and it is easier that way, and faster.

If you just have to have the feel of faders, buy yourself a Mackie Onyx mixer with a firewire card, and use that as your interface. But in my opinion, control surfaces are a very expensive waste of time, and deskspace.

I do want to get a Tranzport though. Mainly just so I can use it while I'm sitting at my V-drums.
    post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2006/10/25 11:45:46

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    themidiroom
    RE: Studio Configuration??? 2006/10/25 11:29:34 (permalink)
    To each his own I suppose. You have to decide what works best for your situation and what is cost effective.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: Studio Configuration??? 2006/10/25 12:45:33 (permalink)
    I agree with Frank.

I used to have a Cakewalk/Peavey Studio Mix controller. But I found I could get things done quicker (and with less hassle) using the mouse and keyboard. So, I wound up selling it on eBay.

I recently saw a demo of the new ACT feature in SONAR6 and it looks very good if you're adamant about using a controller. So that's definitely something to consider.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

SteveD
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2831
    RE: Studio Configuration??? 2006/10/27 01:20:13 (permalink)
    Mackie Control & 2 Extenders <pic>

Necessary? No.

But I hate working without 'em.
    post edited by SteveD - 2006/10/27 01:39:57

SteveD
    DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
    themidiroom
    RE: Studio Configuration??? 2006/10/27 08:51:11 (permalink)
    Wow! Two extenders? You're way better than me.
    post edited by themidiroom - 2006/10/27 09:07:11

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    SteveD
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2831
    RE: Studio Configuration??? 2006/10/27 09:45:59 (permalink)
    Whoa... hope that's not the way I'm comin' across midiroom. Not my intention at all.

Just sayin' I like 'em enough to spend money on 'em.

SteveD
    DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
    themidiroom
    RE: Studio Configuration??? 2006/10/27 09:54:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveD

Whoa... hope that's not the way I'm comin' across midiroom. Not my intention at all.

Just sayin' I like 'em enough to spend money on 'em.

I love my Mackie control. I am considering at least one extender. What I'd really like is a Control 24 for my Pro Tools rig, but that's not likely to happen.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1