Help me make this sound using Rapture

Author
awilki01
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 817
2006/10/25 20:17:50 (permalink)

Help me make this sound using Rapture

Can someone give me some guidance on how to make this sound using Rapture?

Here is the sample - the higher end arp sound (there is a higher pitch sound that I'm not concerned with at the moment....if you need further clarification on the sound I'm trying to recreate, please let me know):

example1.mp3

Even a good starting point would be helpful. I'm not sure how to even begin or if its even possible with Rapture. To me, it sounds like an oscillating HP filter is going on that is tempo sync'd to only allow certain frequencies through at a time.....

Thanks in advance,
Adam

10 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Help me make this sound using Rapture 2006/10/25 20:52:07 (permalink)
    It sounds to me like a muted electric guitar string sound. Slightly distorted with a very tight envelope. I bet you got Dpro and if you do you could browse the guitar sounds. Then ampeg out all but the attack transient with a slight touch of room verb for a tail or set the ampeg to give it ever so lightly.

The filter sounds as if it's controled with the mod wheel not lfo.
    post edited by lawapa - 2006/10/25 21:12:40
    awilki01
    RE: Help me make this sound using Rapture 2006/10/25 21:00:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lawapa

It sounds to me like a muted electric guitar string sound. Slightly distorted with a very tight envelope. I bet you got Dpro and if you do you could browse the guitar sounds. Then ampeg out all but the attack transient with a slight touch of room verb for a tail or set the ampeg to give it ever so lightly.

The filter sounds as if it's controled with the mod wheel not lfo.

I don't have Dim Pro. There has to be a way to do this in Rapture. Thanks for the feedback!
    Frank@ProSounds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Help me make this sound using Rapture 2006/10/25 22:04:32 (permalink)
    Nah, sounds like a simple saw wave or two....with a tight low pass filter...maybe with some light velocity tracking on the filter....pretty tight envelope....I would use a typical ADSR type envelope construction within Rapture's envelope editor, and give it a slightly raised slope for the decay portion. Add a small bit of unison too. I don't have much time today, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow if no one beats me to it.

Peace
    post edited by Frank@ProSounds - 2006/10/25 22:20:15
    awilki01
    RE: Help me make this sound using Rapture 2006/10/25 23:13:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Frank@ProSounds

Nah, sounds like a simple saw wave or two....with a tight low pass filter...maybe with some light velocity tracking on the filter....pretty tight envelope....I would use a typical ADSR type envelope construction within Rapture's envelope editor, and give it a slightly raised slope for the decay portion. Add a small bit of unison too. I don't have much time today, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow if no one beats me to it.

Peace

I would greatly appreciate it Your comment regarding the ADSR envelope construction within Rapture's envelope editor has be a bit baffled. I know what ADSR is, but applying that to Rapture has me a bit confused. Help me understand what features within Rapture control those parameters.
    Frank@ProSounds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Help me make this sound using Rapture 2006/10/25 23:45:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: awilki01

ORIGINAL: Frank@ProSounds

Peace

I would greatly appreciate it Your comment regarding the ADSR envelope construction within Rapture's envelope editor has be a bit baffled. I know what ADSR is, but applying that to Rapture has me a bit confused. Help me understand what features within Rapture control those parameters.

Sorry about that bud. I'm talking about the area in which you draw an envelope via adding Nodes by right clicking. Keep the first at the default position of 000 for distance and 000 for level....right click, adding a new Node, and move that to a position of 000 for distance and 100 for level (this will be the Attack Node), then create another Node, and set it at a distance of around 100 (this is an extreme approximation, I don't have Rapture up in front of me at the moment, so I'm not sure how quick this decay will end up being) and a level of 000 (This node is your Decay point)...finally, creating two more Nodes and setting them to very small distances away from the decay point will give you a Sustain and a Release point (You want to put this release point right on top of the sustain point so the sound doesn't have a release). This is really just a way to construct a typical ADSR envelope within Rapture. The Slope I was referring to for the decay point is controlled by the little circle preceding the decay point Node. Click on that and drag it up a bit to give a 'rounder' curve to the decay.

I'll fire up Rapture tomorrow though and pace it side by side with the mp3 you posted to see if I can mimic the sound. Think I've already made a few presets for Rapture that have the basic architecture for this sound....just a matter of tweaking the oscillators and filter settings. Time for bed now.
    awilki01
    RE: Help me make this sound using Rapture 2006/10/26 08:52:12 (permalink)
    Ah, I see now. Thanks!

I would love to see how you make this sound. It will be a learning experience for me.....
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Help me make this sound using Rapture 2006/10/26 09:36:45 (permalink)
    Here's a starting point:

http://www.rgcstuff.com/Rapture/sounds/RGC_Dropz.prog

You use velocity to move the filter cutoff. You need to sequence the arp, and then adjust the tempo so the delay matches. Also, it's out of tune, to match your example, a snob trick in stuff for vinyl

You can change the waveform for different flavors. It's one of those sounds where any wave you select is 'right', just a different variation.
    Hope it helps.

-René
    Shayne White
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: Help me make this sound using Rapture 2006/10/26 16:31:07 (permalink)
    The above suggestions are good. The sound you're talking about sounds like perhaps a combination of a sawtooth and 75% pulse wave. To mix the two it's probably best to use SFZ. The filter sounds fairly dark so it's probably a 4-pole or 6-pole filter. Use a fair amount of resonance but not too much. The decay portion of your filter envelope should be pretty short.

There's something you should know about Rapture envelopes. The attack portion of envelopes on analog synths seem to take a fraction of a milesecond to reach full level, whereas Rapture seems to be sample acurate -- resulting in a slightly irritating click at the beginning of each note sometimes. To fix this, when you've made your filter ADSR envelope as Frank describes above, hover the mouse cursor over the full level attack node. Hold down "Ctrl" (or is it Shift for slow-mode? I can't remember!) and press the right arrow key on your keyboard ONCE. This will make the node have a distance of 0.1. But now it won't sound as punchy, so the very first node (which has a distance and level of 0.0) should be raised up to a level of 25% to 50%. This will allow your sound to be snappy while avoiding an irritating clicking sound. I've done this sometimes, and it's an improvement.

This is actually a rather simple sound, so it shouldn't take long to reproduce!

Shayne
    awilki01
    RE: Help me make this sound using Rapture 2006/10/26 18:34:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: René

Here's a starting point:

http://www.rgcstuff.com/Rapture/sounds/RGC_Dropz.prog

You use velocity to move the filter cutoff. You need to sequence the arp, and then adjust the tempo so the delay matches. Also, it's out of tune, to match your example, a snob trick in stuff for vinyl

You can change the waveform for different flavors. It's one of those sounds where any wave you select is 'right', just a different variation.
    Hope it helps.

-René

Thanks, René! I was wondering about the tune I believe I hear a LFO going on in the example I posted. I think there is a bit more going on there. I was hoping I would be able to press a single key to get the same sound. I know the note changes would be sequenced (or played) as an arp. However, the sound itself is oscillating a bit too. Maybe its just the ping delay with a filter I'm hearing. I'll play with it a bit....thanks again!!!

Shayne, thanks for the tip. I have also found that you can prevent this by doing the same thing with the AMP EG. You basically do the same thing by creating a node beginning at the very minimum level and a second node at maximum with it slightly moved to the right.

Adam
    post edited by awilki01 - 2006/10/26 18:54:40
    awilki01
    RE: Help me make this sound using Rapture 2006/10/28 10:42:18 (permalink)
    I have played with it, and I just can't get that sound (probably because I'm just an amateur). I still think it might be a sequence playing instead of individual notes being hit.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1