new macbook pro...

Author
scottiedo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
2006/10/26 11:19:54 (permalink)

new macbook pro...

i just upgraded to a macbook pro and am using parallel software to run windows and cakewalk sonar for my mobile rig (mostly to play a loop track or something like that) i want to start recording but the only option is just a singe 1/8" in. the thing does have a ExpressCard/34 slot. any recommendations so i can get some inputs and outputs from that. maybe some 1/4" or xlrs or rca. i know i could use the firewire... but i want to see the pros and cons of both. thanks

2 Replies Related Threads

Big Boss Man
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: new macbook pro... 2006/10/26 15:35:13 (permalink)
    I think the 34 slot is relatively new architecture. I don't even know of any audio interfaces for it. The new MacBook Pros have FireWire 400 and 800 ports. There are a lot of options with firewire. Is there a reason why you would not want to use firewire? Even if you find a 34 slot option, there will be a better firewire option.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: new macbook pro... 2006/10/26 16:56:27 (permalink)
    Yeah, as Big Boss Man said, right now the real-world pros and cons are basically that firewire supports a whole lot of stable, low-latency, high-quality, portable, inexpensive audio interfaces and 34 does not.

I am sure there are theoretical advantages to 34 slot, but given that firewire can deliver 16+ channels of high sample-rate, high bit-depth, low-latency audio, and that firewire is stable, inexpensive, widely suported by a variety of different computers and interfaces, and does it all without bogging down the CPU, what more are you looking for in terms of "pros"? And what is there in terms of real-world "cons"?

I've got nothing against Expresscard interfaces. In fact, I've never even seen one or heard of one other than the Apogee Symphony, which I'm sure is great. It seems pretty likely that in a few years, there will be several high-quality 34 slot audio interfaces. Maybe the best audio interface made in 2009 will be a slot 34 type. Maybe it will be firewire. Maybe it will be USB 2.0. Maybe it will be some kind of RAID connection, or some yet-to-be-invented protocol. Maybe it will be wireless. But does it really matter that much how it connects to the computer?

My $.02, anyway.

Cheers.
    post edited by yep - 2006/10/26 17:12:20
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1