Dimension Pro errors on new PC

Author
Moz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
2006/10/27 09:02:18 (permalink)

Dimension Pro errors on new PC

I have SONAR 5 Producer Edition and Dimension Pro 1.0. In early September I saved all of my SONAR files to DVD as I was moving halfway across the world (but that's another story!) so would be buying a new PC. However, on the new PC, Dimension Pro can't find any of my instruments. The error is something like: "Cannot locate program data." None of the programs load in DP, and no sounds play on the tracks that use DP. I can change the instruments, load new programs etc to get each track to play, but I have to locate all of the instrument combinations by trial and error as they are not displayed anywhere, so this is a huge pain.

There are a few possible causes that I've thought of, too many to test without driving myself crazy, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar problems due to one or more of these issues...

1. SONAR was an upgrade to Home Studio 2004XL. On my old PC, I installed SONAR and Dimension Pro on top of Home Studio. On my new PC, I didn't install Home Studio. I installed SONAR as a fresh install and Dimension Pro afterwards.
2. I downloaded the latest version of DP on my old PC and upgraded to it from 1.0. Can't remember if I did this before or after I saved all my DP files, but it was probably before. I haven't put the latest version of DP on my new PC yet.
3. I installed the 8GB of Dimension Pro samples in D:\Studio\Dimension Pro whereas all the Cakewalk program files are in C:\Program Files\... etc. This was to conserve disk space on my system disk. I did this on both PCs.

When backing up my SONAR files, I copied all of the CWP files to DVD. To back up the Dimension Pro files, I went into DP and saved each program for each SONAR file as a separate .prog file. Some of these were multitimbral, some were not; some used built-in programs, some I made myself; some files had 5 or 6 instances of DP. As you'd expect, no two tracks are the same.

I'm thinking that upgrading DP might help, I certainly hope so.

My old PC was on XP Pro and the new one is running XP Home.

Sorry about the missing bits of info here and there, I'm currently away from home so don't have access to my new PC at the moment, but will be back to check things out tomorrow. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

3 Replies Related Threads

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dimension Pro errors on new PC 2006/10/27 11:40:47 (permalink)
    Did you reinstall Dimension Pro in the new PC? You'll need to do it to complete the authorization/registration procedure.

In case you have all the Multisample files in the network or other hard disk, it's faster to just install Dimension Pro program files, copy the multisamples to the hard disk and then point Dimension Pro to the new \Multisamples folder via the registry key. But you'll still need an authorized DP in the new PC.

-René
    Moz
    RE: Dimension Pro errors on new PC 2006/10/27 19:32:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.

I reinstalled Dimension Pro after installing SONAR, and I have registered both products.

I will reply later with some more detailed info.
    Moz
    RE: Dimension Pro errors on new PC 2006/10/28 02:21:51 (permalink)
    The error message is:

Error uncompressing program data - Program load failed.

The error appears once for each instance of DP in my track.

I installed the DP 1.2 Maintenance Release, the RTAS patch and the XP-1 Expansion Pack (which I haven't used yet, so it wasn't just related to non-existent files) and everything is working fine now! So it looks like installed 1.2 is a required step to fix this problem.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1