Stupid Pitch Tricks

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2006/10/27 11:29:22 (permalink)

Stupid Pitch Tricks

These apply to Dimension (Pro), Rapture, or most any other synth with access to a MIDI Matrix or exposed automation. In the first two, you're already hard-wired between a physical Pitch Wheel and the pitch destination, with separate ranges of up to 24 semitones up & down. Pretty versatile. But it could be the only "return-to-center" control available to you, and you might need that on occasion for something else.

For example, fading overall volume in two directions from a distinct level. "Standard" pitchbend routing is also linear: 1 to 1 ratio between what goes in and what comes out. Here's a few avenues to explore for some unique results. Element 1 is the target for demonstration purposes, but isolating to any Element gives parallel results. Use individually, or in combination.

----------------------------------------------------------------

10). Glide To Target Pitch
Setup: Bend Dn/Up 0 0 [Multisample Editor]
Technique: Pitch Bend -> Pitch 1 -> 200 -> (~1.0 to ~10.0) [MIDI Matrix]
Results: Variable amounts of Smooth 'delays' the bend's pitch over a curve, up or down two semitones.

9). Bend Between Semitone Pitches
Technique: Pitch Bend -> Pitch 1 -> ~50 to ~250 -> (variable) [MIDI Matrix]
Results: Hit those elusive 'blue notes" between pitches every time. Use Shift+mouse for the Depth values.

8). Bump The "Whammy Bar"
Setup: Bend Dn/Up 2 2 (default) [Multisample Editor]
Technique: Pitch Bend -> Pitch 1 -> -200 -> (~0.4 to ~7.0) [MIDI Matrix]
Results: Tapping the PB wheel bends down/up, then returns to pitch. Match the Multisample setting with a negative Destination amount. Smooth determines the speed of return. Use as an effect, or for controllable manual vibrato.

7). Extreme Bi-directional "Pitchbend" Rapture only
Setup: | Bend Dn/Up 0 0 | Multi On | Detune 0 | [Multisample Editor]
Technique: Pitch Bend -> Detune 1 -> (up to) +/- 4800 or 4 octaves -> (variable) [MIDI Matrix]
Results: Simultaneous up/down bends taking multi-oscillators in two different directions. Smooth determines the "bend" speed and return time. Also great to serve with Ring Mod.

6). Nailing Intervals Part I
Technique: Pitch Bend -> Pitch 1 -> 500 -> (~0.0 to ~2.5) [MIDI Matrix]
CC 1 (Mod wheel) -> Pitch 1 -> 200 -> (~0.0 to ~2.5) [MIDI Matrix]
Results: Ideal for joysticks, X/Y pads, or adjacent pitch/mod wheels. Land on seconds, fourths, fifths, and sixths quickly and accurately.

5). Nailing Intervals: Part II
Setup: add to settings in Part I
Technique: Channel Aftertouch -> Pitch 1 -> 100 -> (~0.0 to ~2.5) [MIDI Matrix]
Results: Added keyboard pressure augments the settings above by one semitone. Good for trills/wide vibrato, sevenths and major/minor shifts.

4). Dive Bomb (Supplement to other stupid techniques.)
Setup: Dealer's choice. Polyphony 0 works well for trills. [Multisample Editor]
| Status Shot | Waveform Saw Down or Up [6 or 7] | Freq 0.25 | Depth 0 | [Pitch LFO 1]
Technique: CC 2 -> Pitch LFO Depth 1 -> 400 -> 0.0 [MIDI Matrix]
Results: Slider or knob brings in upward or downward auto-bend, from 2 semtitones above, to two semitones below home pitch.

3). Timed Auto-Pitchbends
Setup: Dealer's Choice [Multisample Editor]
Similar settings to Dive Bomb. Add Depth of 50-100, Delay of 1.00-2.00 seconds, and a Fade of 0,50 to 1.50 seconds. [Pitch LFO 1]
Technique: none [MIDI Matrix]
Results: Hold a note long enough, and the pitchbend fades in.

2). Velocity Pitchbends
Setup: Bend Dn/Up 0 0 | Copy E1 to E2 | E1 Lo/Hi Vel 0 109 | ... | E2 Lo/Hi Vel 110 127 [Multisample Editor]
Similar settings to Dive Bomb, with Depth of 50-100 added. [Pitch LFO 2]
Technique: none [MIDI Matrix]
Results: Hardest hit notes bring in an up/down pitchbend automatically from E2.

And the Number 1 Stupid Pitch Trick is ....

1). Stepped Bends Rapture only
| Status On | Freq 0.50 | Depth 1200 | Steps (amount and drawn values) variable | [Pitch StepGen Depth 1]
Technique: Pitch Bend -> Pitch StepGen Depth 1 -> 1200 -> (variable) [MIDI Matrix]
CC 127 -> Pitch StepGen Depth 1 -> -1200 -> (variable) [MIDI Matrix]
Results: No pitchbend at rest. Forward stepped "pitchbend" to home in the positive direction. Reverse upward Steps with a negative direction. Smooth to taste.

OK, I've got more. They're even stupider, but the *rules* say only ten at a time.
"Remember, this is not a competition, it is only an exhibition — please, no wagering."

Edited for minor corrections.
post edited by b rock - 2006/10/27 13:56:28

2 Replies Related Threads

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Stupid Pitch Tricks 2006/10/27 11:42:22 (permalink)
    <rehearsal mode> "you want that with fries?"

You leaking all that secret info. Soon me and others I know will be flipping burgers.

Thanks b one more.

-René
    jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: Stupid Pitch Tricks 2006/10/28 09:36:03 (permalink)
    You leaking all that secret info. Soon me and others I know will be flipping burgers
    ,,,,like "tofu" burgers perhaps,,,,,,,,,it's like,,, too late,,,,,,,,, rene,,,,, "B" has become the ,,,,,sound,,,, he 's been rapturized ,,,,dimensionized,,, "he is ,,,,,the,,,,,,,,,,,,, algorithm,,,,,,,B",,,,,,, is the ,,,,,,,midi message,,,,,, caught up in the matrix,,,,,,,,, ya know,,,,,,

thanks "B" for all your ,,,,well ,,,rather hardwork,,,and sharing the vibe,,,,,, ya know,,,,,,you've been 'promoted",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    a last minute thought,,,, i've been experimenting with ,,sfz, real time on the,,,,, fly text,,,,,, editing,,,,,,,,, is there a plug-in or something that could do this,,,, perhaps,,,,, i can edit ,,,,but need to re-initialize,,,,,, with note pad ,,,in 'split screen mode,,,,,,
    post edited by jardim do mar - 2006/10/28 10:08:37

marcella
    And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1