Dimension Pro & Rapture ?

Author
Reckert
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2006/10/27 15:28:44 (permalink)

Dimension Pro & Rapture ?

1. Does anyone know what the difference is between Dimension Pro & Rapture?

2. I'm a guitarist with very limited keyboard finesse and I would like to play basic backing chords & melodies with my midi controller thru SONAR....
Most importantly my midi-controller needs better sounds than what a PC and my sound card offers, which program would be better?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or answers!

10 Replies Related Threads

Snouter
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Dimension Pro & Rapture ? 2006/10/27 16:12:37 (permalink)
    Good question. I am a Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3 user and have become interested in utilizing the higher tech stuff like Sonar and Project.

Here is a "psychelelic trance" stream I recorded off the net and then I just did some guitar improv over it. I have done numerous cover songs and am really interested in this as a style of the future. In other words, a techno/trance backing track plus live guitar or bass or drummer depending on who is available, but most likely solo. So I am curious what Cakewalk packages (landscape type sounds and instruments and beats) are needed to do a backing track similar to the one in the following mp3.

http://www.compobeachbum.com/lionel.mp3
    post edited by Snouter - 2006/10/27 16:29:09
    madratter
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Dimension Pro & Rapture ? 2006/10/27 17:08:18 (permalink)
    First of all, there is a demo for rapture. I would highly suggest downloading it and seeing for yourself what is there.

Dimension Pro is basically a sampler that is also a very capable synth. But if your emphasis is on realistic piano patches, flutes, etc. this is the way to go.

Rapture is a very very capable synth that can also do sampling. But the factory content emphasizes the synth end of things, not orchestral scoring, etc. It can do things like step generators in the envelopes that Dimension Pro cannot.

Snouter, listening to that mp3, I would suggest rapture is probably the better choice in your case. But do check out the demo.

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Dimension Pro & Rapture ? 2006/10/27 17:22:17 (permalink)
    There are a lot of post on these, do a search.

As mad rat sez, Dimpro is a sampler. It does acoustic stuff, tho the Dimension category is full of backwards strings and other wacky/scary sounds.

Rapture is more of a synth - so if you want more older moogy sounds, modern trance and electronica this is more up your alley.

Both use the same synth engine (Rapture is not a virtual analog modler but uses samples) and same basic structure, so if you use a lot of soft synthesis they work very well together. You can approximate the same sounds with each of them, but the ease of use, presets and sample sets differentiate them.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Reckert
    RE: Dimension Pro & Rapture ? 2006/10/27 18:32:43 (permalink)
    @ Snouter: yeah I enjoy Progressive Rock (ie: Symphony X, Dream Theater, Evergrey, Pagan's Mind, Neal Morse, Anubis Gate, etc. etc..) and 99% of them have keyboards in the band, as I do as well. Your mp3 is basically what I want Dimension Pro or Rapture for.. so when I'm writing at home I can play my own keyboard background and improv over it with Guitar to create melodies and/or songs to bring to rehersals.

@madratter: I've downloaded Rapture & will give it a whirl, as far as sampling, I basically want to use presets initially and not really interested in sampling/ creating new presets (at least not yet) so I can quickly pick a sound, lay down some keyboard rythyms, kinda like "Snouter's" mp3 and play guitar with it.

I would like realistic acoustical sounds but also some really good synth sounds, for some guitar/keyboard solos and stuff, but without too much tweaking and fiddling with the program (user friendly preferably) so that I can get straight to playing/writing.

so which one would you recommend to me?
    (btw I Really like "A Pleasant Land") that's basically where I want to end up with using SONAR, Smart Loops-Drum Kit & Keyboard sounds from ??

@AT : after searching these forums earlier today I could not really find my answer, so for some nice sounds, ease of use, for a guitarist to put down basic (nice sounding) keyboard rythyms so I can start jamming more and less tweaking without having to go buy a keyboard with it's own built-in sounds?
    what would you recommend?

Thanks Again everyone for the your responses thus far!
    Snouter
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Dimension Pro & Rapture ? 2006/10/27 20:08:29 (permalink)
    Thanks y'all. I will download the demo of Rapture. I also have to figure out if as a GTP3 user I have any discounts related to Sonar and the various bundles Cakewalk is offering.
    post edited by Snouter - 2006/10/27 20:24:52
    madratter
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Dimension Pro & Rapture ? 2006/10/27 21:02:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Reckert

@madratter: I've downloaded Rapture & will give it a whirl, as far as sampling, I basically want to use presets initially and not really interested in sampling/ creating new presets (at least not yet) so I can quickly pick a sound, lay down some keyboard rythyms, kinda like "Snouter's" mp3 and play guitar with it.

I would like realistic acoustical sounds but also some really good synth sounds, for some guitar/keyboard solos and stuff, but without too much tweaking and fiddling with the program (user friendly preferably) so that I can get straight to playing/writing.

so which one would you recommend to me?
    (btw I Really like "A Pleasant Land") that's basically where I want to end up with using SONAR, Smart Loops-Drum Kit & Keyboard sounds from ??

Both Rapture and Dimension Pro have a boatload of presets. I own Dim Pro so I know its content reasonably well. I have only tried the Rapture Demo so I have a feel for what it is capable of but I don't know the range of its presets.

Dim Pro has a bunch of synth like sounds in it. What it does not have that Rapture does have is the step generator envelopes. Rapture also has 6 elements instead of 4 for Dim Pro (basically oscillators). I would strongly suggest you play with the step generators in the rapture demo and see if you can live without them. What Dim Pro is definitely going to have in its presets is more realistic strings, piano, woodwinds, etc.

It is a tough call. I'm sure either one would be quite usable for what you want.
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: Dimension Pro & Rapture ? 2006/10/28 07:56:27 (permalink)
    I would recomend dimension pro. from the sound of your post..this would be the best choice, as it comes with both real sounding instruments, and a good collection of synth sounds. (along with the free xp packs downloads for more sounds to play with)

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Dimension Pro & Rapture ? 2006/10/29 16:57:41 (permalink)
    REckert,

yea, I second Dimension. If you need acoustic/natural and SOS (Sample and Synthesis) like a keyboard workstation would provide Dimension would be the way to go. You'll find it very easy to plug in various sounds to make beds for your other instruments.

Rapture is more synthetic for more synth based music. IF you are looking to do R&R or pop etc. et all Dimension will allow you to plug and play easier.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Reckert
    RE: Dimension Pro & Rapture ? 2006/11/01 09:18:36 (permalink)
    Thanks :10: & AT I ordered Dimension Pro and it should arrive before the end of the week, I did download the Rapture demo and mess with that, but I think I will be more happy with DP as you peoples have recommended!

btw :10: , I really enjoyed your music! (and your artwork!) I love that style of music with a layer of heavy guitars, my 7-string comes to mind, hmmm....!

Thanks again for everyone's insight, and I'll be sure to post a song using DP :)
    whitefalcon
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    RE: Dimension Pro & Rapture ? 2006/11/01 15:26:15 (permalink)
    I think based on more general sounds need and excellent included Strings you will be happy with your choice to go with DP.
    Congratulations on your purchase!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1