Move from PC to Laptop

Author
kryon
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
2006/10/30 03:08:37 (permalink)

Move from PC to Laptop

I am thinking of moving from my PC to a Laptop. I would like to be more portable.

My Current sys:

I am currently using a Dimension 3000
Pent 4 2.8GHz
1 Gig RAM
200 GB HD 7200
XP pro

I will admit that I am not sure how my current system and the one I am looking at from Dell ( specs below ) compare in terms of power. Will the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2GHz/667MHz/4MB) be much more power that what I use now? Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Kryon

I was looking at this Dell :

XPS M1710 Metallic Black

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2GHz/667MHz/4MB)
Genuine Windows® XP Professional
No Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Selected
17 inch UltraSharpâ„¢ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLifeâ„¢
FREE Upgrade to 2GB, 677MHz 2 DIMM from 1GB - $250 Value
100GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS
Integrated Audio
Accessories
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)

Protection
1 Yr Return to Depot Service with 1 Yr Tech Support
XPS Notebook Backpack
Also Includes
Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card and Modem

5 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Move from PC to Laptop 2006/10/30 08:51:05 (permalink)
    The new system specs look quite good, except for the audio "card". What do you plan to use for your recording interface? How many simultaneous inputs are you planning on using? Which type of interface will you use? (PCMCIA, USB or Firewire) Does your laptop have Firewire or PCMCIA?

PCMCIA is the best interface for laptops, Firewire is 2nd best, but there's are possible problems with it. laptop firewire ports don't come with power on a 6-pin connector - even if they have 6 pins, there is no power on the power pins. typically they only have 4 pin connectors. this is a problem because that means you have to use an external power supply for your interface and that could possibly cause ground loop problems. USB is the worst interface for sound recording and while they will work for most applications - if you plan on recording your band with 16 simultaneous inputs, you MIGHT have problems with USB. You might not, but I wouldn't count on USB for heavy loads, myself.

just my 2cents.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: Move from PC to Laptop 2006/10/30 14:32:53 (permalink)

I almost just bought one almost identical to that one. But I decided to go with a cheaper Hewlitt-Packard. The Dell is very nice, I just couldn't justify spending that much. My HP is plenty powerful enough. Mine has a Centrino Duo 1.66Ghz, and I was amazed at how fast it is. It outperforms my old desktop, which had a 3.4Ghz P4 with 4Gb of fast RAM. Those Centrino Duo proc's are very nice.

But as Beagle said, of course you will need an additional audio interface. I'm using a MOTU 896HD. Works great. I would recommend firewire, as there are many more options in firewire than in PCMCIA.
    post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2006/10/30 14:50:00

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    kryon
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Move from PC to Laptop 2006/10/30 14:56:58 (permalink)
    Thank you Beagle...all very good questions that I had not considered...and new info for me as well.

I had been using a Echo Audio Mia PCI in my desktop untill just recemtly I bought a Black Box from M Audio. I had really only bought it for the effects and amps and thought I would only use it as an input via the SPDIF on the back but just for fun I installed it as an audio interface connecting only with the USB cable. It really is working great. Although it is only USB 1 (which I was concerned about) it is performing beautifully. I only record one sound source at a time so I guess that accounts for it. Solo songwriter. The PCI Mia had an additional amout of extra noise when listening via headphones and this Black Box is dead clean sounding. So to sum up I would like to contunue using the USB Black Box with a new Laptop.

Thank you OffAnAirplane for the info as well
    " It outperforms my old desktop, which had a 3.4Ghz P4 with 4Gb of fast RAM."
    This gives me a comparison to go from. That is just fantastic!

Regards,
    Kryon

Reegs
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Move from PC to Laptop 2006/10/30 15:01:32 (permalink)
    From the looks of the new lines, it appears that the PCMCIA slot is being phased out. Neither Dell nor HP ships new notebooks with the cardbus typeI/II slot. The all have expresscard slots now.
    OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: Move from PC to Laptop 2006/10/30 18:34:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Reegs

From the looks of the new lines, it appears that the PCMCIA slot is being phased out. Neither Dell nor HP ships new notebooks with the cardbus typeI/II slot. The all have expresscard slots now.

lol I didn't even notice that until you said it, but you're right. Not that it really matters to me. The only PCMCIA card I've got is a firewire adapter, and this laptop has a firewire port, so I don't need that anyway.

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1