EQ/Panning Techniques for Pads, Textures, etc

Author
NoTalentA$$Clown
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
2006/11/03 14:11:54 (permalink)

EQ/Panning Techniques for Pads, Textures, etc

Just wondering how people out there handle EQ and Panning for really lush pads and textures, like some of the stuff in Spectrasonics Atmosphere when trying to keep it from competing with lead vocals? Do you keep it panned center and just eq out space for the vocals(if you do this, without side-chaining available in SONAR, do you just split the tracks up where there are no vocals, and NOT eq those tracks, so the textures sound full when the vocals are not present?), or do you try panning it wide left and right? I've tried both individually and combinations of both and can't quite get the results I'm looking for.

Any suggestions from experience with getting the vocals and atmosphere-type sounds to sit well in the mix together would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dan

4 Replies Related Threads

everyeleven
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: EQ/Panning Techniques for Pads, Textures, etc 2006/11/06 20:24:21 (permalink)
    Typically pads are going to be in stereo panned hard left and right with minimal EQ and based on the frequency content.

Level wise, you'll want to stay at or below -20 dBFS for synth pads. As far as vocals go they should always sit exactly at dead center and of course in mono.

A pretty cool trick for extremely lush pads is to apply a 10-12 millisecond delay to one side.
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: EQ/Panning Techniques for Pads, Textures, etc 2006/11/06 22:24:11 (permalink)
    ...or simply reduce the frequency of the pad where the vocals are.

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: EQ/Panning Techniques for Pads, Textures, etc 2006/11/07 09:57:23 (permalink)
    I use the techniques as suggested above. The delay thing really works well if for instance you have a pad that wasn't tracked in stereo. You can also use a chorus for extra color. I find a little chorus with a slow rate can work well. Even if the pads occupy the same frequency space as the vocal, the panning will alloy an easy distinction between them.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    basstracker7769
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: EQ/Panning Techniques for Pads, Textures, etc 2006/11/21 16:43:48 (permalink)
    Yes i cut certain frequencies and pan away for the pads to open up that hole for the vocals
    Most pads are like black holes they suck the frequencies out of the mix and take over or should I say mask the frequencies??
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1