Some Rapture Patches...

Author
ebayer
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86
2006/11/08 04:53:10 (permalink)

Some Rapture Patches...

Hey, thought I'd just share... I have put some Rapture patches on my site. I've been experimenting with getting effects similar to the Korg M1 Universe patch. I wasn't going for an exact match, but just to capture some of the magic of that patch. Most of the Pads section is my attempts. The most refined one is "Universal Memories". I also have a very very fat bass patch I've designed.

http://www.ericvonbayer.us/music/rapture/

Let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions on making these patches better.

-Eric von Bayer

PS - Please note some of the Pads use some of the Expansion Pack 1 content, so you'll need that installed.
post edited by ebayer - 2006/11/08 12:20:32

9 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Some Rapture Patches... 2006/11/08 08:07:26 (permalink)
    Let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions on making these patches better.
    Good job, Eric. There's some nice evolving development here, with percussive attacks and sustaining elements. At first listen, I'm leaning towards the "Old Stars" and "Universal Memories" patches. I love the sound of those BigTone samples, and how you bent the saw into "outer space". You're not afraid to layer several saw Elements to achieve an effect; in this case, stacked octaves.

One very small point, if you don't mind. The looping segments in some of the Amp EGs are redundant. If you're looping back in a segment to a single node, and the levels are identical, you can get the same results from just using the sustain point. In other places, an "extra" node is put to great use: you cause the overall envelope shape to divert exactly where you want it to. The multi-attack filter EGs are very effective as well.

Nice phat bass patch, too. Old school elements here: the "pitch glitch" and quick sweep filter attack on low-harmonics oscillators. And that keeps everything relatively centered, even with detuning. Good selection of usable stuff here, Eric. Keep up the good work.
    Lickermat
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Some Rapture Patches... 2006/11/08 09:42:07 (permalink)
    Sorry to be an idiot but where to download these ?
    b rock
    RE: Some Rapture Patches... 2006/11/08 10:08:22 (permalink)
    I went to ebayer's profile, found the web site [here], and clicked on the 'mu' icon (Music and Sound). The Rapture patches are under Sound Banks and Patches, about 2/3rds of the way down.
    Lickermat
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Some Rapture Patches... 2006/11/08 11:10:20 (permalink)
    Many thanks !
    ebayer
    RE: Some Rapture Patches... 2006/11/08 12:05:11 (permalink)
    Sorry to be an idiot but where to download these ?

I added the link to my original post. This will definately teach me not to post right before going to bed.
    ebayer
    RE: Some Rapture Patches... 2006/11/08 12:28:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock
    There's some nice evolving development One very small point, if you don't mind. The looping segments in some of the Amp EGs are redundant. If you're looping back in a segment to a single node, and the levels are identical, you can get the same results from just using the sustain point. In other places, an "extra" node is put to great use: you cause the overall envelope shape to divert exactly where you want it to. The multi-attack filter EGs are very effective as well.

If you're referring to the 3 separate peaks in the cutoff, that was on purpose. It let me flavor the individual percussive hits by pitch. If this isn't what you meant, please explain which places you mean, I may have done something accidentally as I was fumbling for keys as I forgot what they were.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I really like the spectral richness of saw type waveforms. They give you a lot to work with filter wise without sounding too harsh. I remember growing up hearing all these neat synth sounds and later finding out most that I liked were built from saws. So often I work with saws for the body of the sound and use squares to add overtones. I'm also enamored with filters and what happens when you feed in sounds near their resonance point.

The Bass I got the idea from some stuff in VNV Nation's song called Chrome. It had a more complex layering to get the bass, but there was something in it that gave me the idea for Massage Bass 1. I liked how the lower and upper harmonics oscillated in and out. Though you really need good definition in your bass speakers to hear it. A lot of things muddy it out.
    b rock
    RE: Some Rapture Patches... 2006/11/08 13:15:25 (permalink)
    If you're referring to the 3 separate peaks in the cutoff, that was on purpose.
    I realize that, Eric. That's what I meant by the effective use of "multi-attack filter EGs". You struck me as a meticulous person, so I wanted to point out what I saw in the Amp EGs. Specifically, I see the same type of setup in E1 & E2 of Babbling Stars (both 1 & 2), as well as E2 of Universal Memories and Old Stars. I'll use this last one as a specific example.

"Solo" E2 with the Mixer switches in Old Stars, and go to the Amp EG. There's four total nodes (including the default node). #1/3 is at 230.6 ms. in the timeline, and serves as the "loopback" node. #2/3 is at 498.7 ms., and forms the sustain point. Yet both are at a full level of 1.000. So you reach the sustain point, and loop to #1/3 and back again. You'll get the same results by hovering over #1/3, pressing "L" to disable the loop, and relying on just the sustain point.

But, if you leave it as programmed, hold the Ctrl key (as to not disturb the other nodes), and add a new node midway between the other two, then the loop becomes more useful. While still holding Ctrl, drag this new node down to a level of 0.000. Now when you hold a note value, this loop gives a tremolo effect; defined by the levels and timeline positions of all three nodes, and their segment shapes.

Does that make sense? As I said above, this is a fine point, and it doesn't affect the overall sound as it stands. I just thought that you might be interested in this programming nuance and its possibilities for use in later patch constructions. Good patches, man. Sawtooths give you a lot to work with.
    ebayer
    RE: Some Rapture Patches... 2006/11/08 13:25:41 (permalink)
    LOL. Okay I see what you mean. And the reason I'm laughing is that all the elements you are pointing out, I took from other patches that I liked the sound of. Then I sculpted them a bit. Yeah, not something I would have done if I was building it ground up in the case of the E2 elements that loop. In the midst of tweaking I didn't reduce these to simplest forms. That said in E1 of Old Stars, wouldn't that be different to removing the node previous to the sustain point because it will guarantee a minimum held time versus only peaking and then dropping immediately with staccato notes?
    b rock
    RE: Some Rapture Patches... 2006/11/08 13:39:00 (permalink)
    in E1 of Old Stars, wouldn't that be different to removing the node previous to the sustain point because it will guarantee a minimum held time versus only peaking and then dropping immediately with staccato notes?
    Agreed. That serves to "flatten" the overall curve formed by Node# 0/3 - #2/3 and their segments. The same could be said for removing the nodes in those other Elements that I mentioned, instead of just disabling the loop.

I see now that you just got caught in the cleanup process. Believe me, it happens to me all the time. You think that you've covered everything, ship it out, and fresh eyes reveal that you got your nodes crossed somewhere along the way.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1