Sonar "Performer" edition vs. "Cakewalk Live"

Author
Roger Bowers
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2003/11/20 06:52:46 (permalink)

Sonar "Performer" edition vs. "Cakewalk Live"

Dear MIDI "Performers",

Several years ago, Cakewalk used to make this cool DOS application called "Cakewalk Live" designed exclusively for the live performing MIDI musician.

I used it extensively for live performances in Northern California, not only for the occasional MIDI music performance streams, but also for reseting, configuration, controlling and automating outboard equipment via MIDI.

I remember it had some unique features:

* It was a very small, text-based non-graphic application, so the program application would launch and play almost immediately, which is very important for "recovery" in a busy, distracting, live situation

* It featured unlimited playlists of seemingly unlimited length that were easly configured by creating song/set lists within text files.

* Liberally configurable options for stop/start/pause, measure count-ins

* Fast and live-sensible key/cursor navigation, not requiring mouse, but optionally allowed mouse/pointer control too if I remember correcly.

* "Next-song" preload - it would cue up the the next song into memory while the current song was playing - no wait time required between songs, unless you wanted a time delay, which was configurable.

* Visual beat count-in cues, although they were not large enough to see clearly in a busy live setting. Today's GUI interface could provide larger cues as well as other interesting features, ie, lyrics, metronome pendulum, bet coungs, other visual cues.

* The option to load the program along with a playlist set from a single batch file, allowing me to actually boot the computer and automatically loading everything to play the first live set. If you wanted to, you could actually just turn on the computer, and it could boot up, and batch file load and play a song, quickly.

* The program protected you from choosing a function that might comprimise the performance - it only had a few keys activated, which was most appropriate for it's intended purpose. Cakewalk and Sonar, while featuring playlists, have too many other features that, when in a live situation, could actually hinder, overload, or tempt unintended actions during a live performance. Cakewalk Live was stripped of extra features and contols, and only a few keys were available. (Confidence performing", perhaps?)

Over time, it seems that Cakewalk eventually replaced this stand-alone application by adding playlist features into the Cakewalk products, at least until I got my Sonar. I think that playlist features should be put back into Sonar, because there is a use for these features in the studio. But while these same playlist features could be used for live performances, I think it would be better to also have the option of an additional moderatly priced dedicated Windows application that is specifically designed for live execution of MIDI, MP3, WMA, and WAV files (audio waveform playback for during the breaks between gig sets). It would be similar to the old Cakewalk Live, but use all the new technology - Windows GUI, WDM, mp3, large visual metronomes and fonts, Lyrics, etc.

If one were a product manager of such a product, one might call it "Sonar Performer", and one could dream up a whole lot of use cases and features that would improve live session management and control, but it seems that there might not be enough interest out there for a dedicated app like this. But maybe there is some legitimate interest, and even a market (are you with me Greg H?) for this type of software ...

So, to toss another log onto the fiery pit of this awsome Sonar forum, here are some questions for some of you:

1. Does anybody else in this forum remember the DOS version of Cakewalk Live?

2. Does anybody still use the DOS version of Cakewalk Live, live, or any later versions of Cakewalk live?

3. Do any of you miss the playlist features of earlier versions of Cakewalk?

4. Does anybody wish that Cakewalk would bring back Cakewalk Live as a dedicated 32 bit Windows app?

5. What unique applied use cases would some of you have for such a product?

6. What features of Cakewalk Live for DOS do you remember that you liked?

7. What new features would be "essential" or "nice to have" for a live MIDI sequencing/performing application?

8. Do you use sequencing for live MIDI control of outboard gear?

9. Do any of you use MIDI sequencing to control stage lighting, curtain pulls, mixers, stage effects, tweaking delays and reverbs, patching/routing, transports, DMX or MMC control, etc.

10. What features would you need/want for a "Sonar Performer", edition, if I may dare may call it that? (Sorry MOTU)

11. Is Cakewalk Live dead? Or alive?

-- Roger
< Message edited by Roger Bowers -- 11/20/2003 1:37:20 PM >

7 Replies Related Threads

LixiSoft
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Sonar "Performer" edition vs. "Cakewalk Live" 2003/11/20 11:55:45 (permalink)
    1. Does anybody else in this forum remember the DOS version of Cakewalk Live?

2. Does anybody still use the DOS version of Cakewalk Live, live, or any later versions of Cakewalk live?

Remember it ? I still use it 3 to 5 nights a week <g>.

3. Do any of you miss the playlist features of earlier versions of Cakewalk?

Never used anything live but "Cake Live for DOS" and still do.

4. Does anybody wish that Cakewalk would bring back Cakewalk Live as a dedicated 32 bit Windows app?

No, I don't want to run Windoze on my gigs, futzing with a mouse, etc....also my laptop is very old, but still a workhorse, I don't want to change any of my programing and setups.

6. What features of Cakewalk Live for DOS do you remember that you liked?

Simple, FAST, QUICK, Dummy Proof, Set Lists, update and change song lists on the fly.

8. Do you use sequencing for live MIDI control of outboard gear?

Yes

9. Do any of you use MIDI sequencing to control stage lighting, curtain pulls, mixers, stage effects, tweaking delays and reverbs, patching/routing, transports, DMX or MMC control, etc.

Yes, I have a Key Midiator 3 port interface on my laptop. With "Cake Live" for DOS I control:
    A) Roland Sound Canvas to give me my "backing band trax"
    B) Patch, program changes to a mixer, Lexicon verb, Akai sampler, Pod guitar EFX, Roland master keyboard controller, Digitech Vocalist for harmony parts and vox EFX.
    C) I also run a small midi 8 channel light control system synced to the song.

When I begin playback of any song all my patches are loaded, mixer channels muted or unmuted as needed, all EFX set up for that song, and all lighting cues automated. I have been working this way since the early 90's as a single or duo act. This could not be done with out "Cake Live" for DOS, I thought I was the only one left that remembered or used this fantastic software for live shows. When I gig I open up my 12 space rack, plugin my speakers in, place my Roland keyboard on the stand, setup 4 to 8 lights, plug in my mic and guitar and play. Takes all of 20 minutes to setup.

11. Is Cakewalk Live dead? Or alive?

"Cakewake Live" is still kicking for me, and will for years to come <g>. It's the heart of my live gigs.

LixiSoft
    LixiSoft
    RE: Sonar "Performer" edition vs. "Cakewalk Live" 2003/11/20 12:06:17 (permalink)
    If one were a product manager of such a product, one might call it "Sonar Performer", and one could dream up a whole lot of use cases and features that would improve live session management and control, but it seems that there might not be enough interest out there for a dedicated app like this.

LOL....would you happen to be that product manager, seeing the "ear" avitar and Boston location <g>. "CakeLive" for DOS is a fantastic product and has helped generate a lot of income for me. I have been a Cake user since V2 for DOS and have used every version of "Live" produced. The version I use now, if I remember, came bundled with V5 for DOS. It would be hard to improve on the stability (it has NEVER crashed.. EVER) and ease of use of this product....for MIDI only of course.

LixiSoft
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Sonar "Performer" edition vs. "Cakewalk Live" 2003/11/20 12:29:29 (permalink)
    What kind of mixer are you using?

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    LixiSoft
    RE: Sonar "Performer" edition vs. "Cakewalk Live" 2003/11/20 12:59:02 (permalink)
    What kind of mixer are you using?

Tascam MM-1, very old 20 channel rackmount mixer designed for keyboards, it has 99 snapshot memory locations, you can recall and change via midi.

LixiSoft
    jimscheuer
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Sonar "Performer" edition vs. "Cakewalk Live" 2003/11/22 00:18:45 (permalink)
    I am one of the many who have used Cakewalk and Sonar live on stage for years, right up through Sonar 2.2. The Play List feature has worked great for me. So did previous versions of this feature. I was disgusted to purchase Sonar 3 only to find that Cakewalk had, UNANNOUNCED, discontinued this feature while falsely advertising file compatibility with previous versions of Sonar. I believe the Play List should continue to be an integral part of Sonar, NOT an extra program that I have to buy.

All I need is a quick way to move from song to song on stage to avoid "dead" time. The most important aspect of the Play List, to me, was the option to wait for a key press before starting the next tune. Next most important aspect was the ability to jump around the list quickly without having to access the Windows "file, load, etc." operation. It was simple to click on the tune you wanted next and go.

I also found the play list valuable for previewing song order before commiting the order to CD, and for quickly making a rough mix tape of a client's session while we were tearing down equipment - do a quick list with a 3 second delay between tunes, pop in a tape, hit record and run the list, and do other work while it records! Efficient!!!!

While I can still use Sonar 2.2 on stage, I want to be able to use the most current version of Sonar in order to access the new features. I need a program I can use both live and in the studio, and in the studio I need to be state-of-the-art in order to attract customers. Unless Cakewalk does something about this, I need to look into other companies' programs to find something that will better meet my needs.

Jim Scheuer
    jimscheuer
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Sonar "Performer" edition vs. "Cakewalk Live" 2003/12/31 00:36:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Alex Westner [Cakewalk]

Sorry 'bout this! The Play List will be back in a patch release, coming soon.

Hey, the word "soon" is now defined! Just two months from this reply, and only about three months from when I returned my Sonar 3 because they were thinking about restoring the Play List "soon" but couldn't tell me when "soon" would be.

(Note the tone of sarcasm in my voice....)

Of course, we haven't seen it yet, and they just pushed the release back another week.....

Jim
    kingo2010
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Sonar "Performer" edition vs. "Cakewalk Live" 2010/07/26 20:57:42 (permalink)
    just joined this forum...been using cakelive since day one...can hardly find any 'newer' computers that will run it and recognize a dos interface. Any ideas??....i can't believe someone or cakewalk hasn't come up with a replacement for THIS great little program...adding songs on the fly ...simple...songlist setup...simple...bulletproof is the word...i'm just running out of computers to run it....HELP....thanks, brian
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1