Question about delay

Author
Vertigo50
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 360
2006/11/28 16:28:15 (permalink)

Question about delay

If you want to skip my angry rant, just skip to my next post.

I just wasted about two hours on a tight deadline with this ridiculous bug.

I sent about 4 background tracks to a Stereo Bus with the Sonitus Delay inserted. The effect was great. But I wanted the Delay to gradually increase and then drop out suddenly. So I created a volume envelope on the bus, and had it slowly ramp up, and then drop down quickly. It sounded great.....ONCE. Then, that bus just decided not to make any sound anymore. I tried deleting it and recreating it, copying it, cloning it, etc.

Nothing would get this to work. Suffice to say, that there is just no way to automate the volume on a bus that has the Sonitus Delay inserted. It kills it every time. This is especially bad since the only way to make the Sonitus Delay STOP is the volume control. It just keeps on going and going, even if you stop Sonar and start it again, it will pick up where it left off in the delay. Good programming.

Anyone else?
post edited by Vertigo50 - 2006/11/30 02:31:56

9 Replies Related Threads

Vertigo50
    RE: Automation Volume on Bus causes delay to stop 2006/11/30 02:03:49 (permalink)
    Okay, upon reading this, I realize that it was mostly a rant, and not very productive. I was pretty upset at the time. But let me try to save this post by asking this question, to find a different solution to the problem.

Here's what I was trying to accomplish:

I have 4 tracks of background vocals. I wanted a tap delay on them, but I wanted all the tracks to gradually get louder and louder, while at the same time, I wanted the amount of delay to get louder and louder. Just more delay, as in the mix, not necessarily longer delay or anything.

How would you accomplish this?
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Automation Volume on Bus causes delay to stop 2006/11/30 02:23:13 (permalink)
    If you have enough CPU, try inserting the delay on each track instead of the bus. Maybee there is just a bug with the bus,
    if there is even a bug..

CJ

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Vertigo50
    RE: Automation Volume on Bus causes delay to stop 2006/11/30 02:29:49 (permalink)
    I agree, it may not be a bug, and it may have been me doing something stupid. But I'm not a big fan of editing out posts, even if I wish I could take something back, so I'll leave it there.

CJ, would you have done it the same way I did?
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Automation Volume on Bus causes delay to stop 2006/11/30 02:34:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Vertigo50

I agree, it may not be a bug, and it may have been me doing something stupid. But I'm not a big fan of editing out posts, even if I wish I could take something back, so I'll leave it there.

CJ, would you have done it the same way I did?

Hey, Ive said alot of things that that i should not have said...It was prob. something u needed to get off your chest because you were frustrated....nextime just bang on the drums or rip some guitar.......alright enough of Dr. Phil..

CJ
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2006/11/30 02:53:08

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Vertigo50
    RE: Automation Volume on Bus causes delay to stop 2006/11/30 02:36:07 (permalink)
    How's that workin' for ya? ;)

Actually when I asked if you would have done it the same way, I was referring to the delay issue, and not my ranting. ;)
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Automation Volume on Bus causes delay to stop 2006/11/30 02:37:21 (permalink)
    Im laughing my A%$ OFF

Audio Blog
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Automation Volume on Bus causes delay to stop 2006/11/30 02:38:57 (permalink)
    Im at work right now and alittle pre occupied.... But to your question, i would have done it prob. the same way

CJ

Audio Blog
    TheFingers
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: Automation Volume on Bus causes delay to stop 2006/11/30 03:14:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Vertigo50

Okay, upon reading this, I realize that it was mostly a rant, and not very productive. I was pretty upset at the time. But let me try to save this post by asking this question, to find a different solution to the problem.

Here's what I was trying to accomplish:

I have 4 tracks of background vocals. I wanted a tap delay on them, but I wanted all the tracks to gradually get louder and louder, while at the same time, I wanted the amount of delay to get louder and louder. Just more delay, as in the mix, not necessarily longer delay or anything.

How would you accomplish this?

IMO, a good way to do this is to send all four tracks to a buss with the delay in the effects bin, Set the delay wet/dry control to leave enough room to increase the wet/dry mix to where it needs to be at the finale. Then automate the wet/dry mix control of the delay to increase along with the volume of the buss.

1973 "A" neck.

I'd rather be playing Bass:
    three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: Automation Volume on Bus causes delay to stop 2006/11/30 03:19:28 (permalink)
    use a different delay?

have a good one
    3Eo
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1