Rapture Element is full SFZ format player?

Author
tarsier
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3029
2006/11/29 10:55:57 (permalink)

Rapture Element is full SFZ format player?

I just wanted to clarify: Is a single Rapture element capable of playing back any sort of SFZ format file/patch no matter how complicated? (aside from system resources, that is) So I could theoretically create a multisample, multi velocity-layer patch with various loop points and midi controllers per sample, and responding to multiple midi channels and key zones, and on and on in SFZ format, then load that into a single Rapture element and it would work?

4 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture Element is full SFZ format player? 2006/11/29 12:19:49 (permalink)
    Yes. X 6.
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Rapture Element is full SFZ format player? 2006/11/29 21:40:04 (permalink)
    Whoa Now the secrets out. Well, not a big secret. Each patch could be implimented as an sfz as complex as you'd be willing to write it.
    mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Rapture Element is full SFZ format player? 2006/11/29 22:46:07 (permalink)
    Which is why I'm hoping I get that Cakewalk Synths book for the holidays ... lots of sfz secrets in there.
    Simon_Cann
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Rapture Element is full SFZ format player? 2006/11/30 07:14:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tarsier

Is a single Rapture element capable of playing back any sort of SFZ format file/patch no matter how complicated? (aside from system resources, that is) So I could theoretically create a multisample, multi velocity-layer patch with various loop points and midi controllers per sample, and responding to multiple midi channels and key zones, and on and on in SFZ format, then load that into a single Rapture element and it would work?

As others have said, yes, each Element in Rapture is capable of operating as a fully functioning sfz format synthesizer (indeed, this is what it is doing in the background behind the interface), so you can do all the stuff you are envisaging doing.

There is, however, a slight wrinkle here.

When an sfz definition file is loaded into Rapture (or DropZone, Dimension, and Dimension Pro) the interface controls will override the sfz settings, even if the controls are deactivated.

So, for example, if you have set a filter in an sfz definition file, and then you load that file into Rapture, you would need to turn the cut-off knob to zero (and in the case of Rapture, select one of the DSP order algorithms). If you don’t turn the cut-off knob to zero, then it will override the filter cut-off settings in the sfz file, and you won’t hear the filter working as intended.

This is, of course (thanks for the mention mumpcake), all set out in the book: follow this link for details.

Simon
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1