VST directory structure for z3ta+ ?

Author
mintakaX
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
2006/11/29 14:57:04 (permalink)

VST directory structure for z3ta+ ?

When I installed the VST version of z3ta+ in Sonar 6PE, I copied the *.dll to the VST plugins directory and also the z3ta+ folder into this same directory. Everything works fine. I have recently installed the Virus mod for z3ta+ in the same manner. The Virus mod came with installation instructions that referred to a different directory structure than what I had, so I just followed my current structure. The Virus mod works fine, but I must manually load the Virus default bank for each instance and I dont think I am getting the Virus skin. When I arrange the directory structure to match the install instructions, Sonar complains about missing bitmaps,etc. as soon as its launched. Any info on how to sort this out will be much appreciated

Dan

17 Replies Related Threads

mintakaX
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/11/30 22:32:07 (permalink)
    Was this just a dumb question or does no one know the answer ? Should I ask this in a different forum (like the dumb questions one ) ?
    Dan
    mintakaX
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/04 14:28:05 (permalink)
    I guess I'll just talk to myself in this thread . But for what its worth after reading info HERE I realized that I did not have a correct install of the Virus mod after all. I bit the bullet and re-installed the unmodded z3ta+ this time with the directory structure that matched the Virus install instructions. Now I have the correct install for the Virus mod and it looks and sounds very different than before.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/04 20:38:09 (permalink)
    I guess I'll just talk to myself in this thread
    No, buddy: it's just difficult to track down all of the places where you posted this and reassemble the pertinent information. In the Project5 thread, it appeared that you got the right advice and links to the proper installation. I didn't bother answering here, because it appeared that you had it working in Sonar. No sense in piling on and confusing the issue.

But now I see at the KVR rgc:audio forum, that you don't have the Virus Mod working in Project5. (Stop me at any point here if I missed something.)

First of all, search your hard drive for any residual folders or files left over from the failed Virus installation attempts. I'm especially thinking of a duplicate Virus_z3ta+.dll that may be getting rescanned by the VST Adapter. If you look 'clean', go through the Adapter process, and Reset All ... to clear up any stubborn leftovers. Your Folder Defaults appeared to be correct (I remember seeing the details somewhere ...). So, check 'Re-scan existing plug-ins', and go through the process again. I do believe that this is going to get you hooked up with Virus_z3ta+ under Project5.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/12/04 20:56:33
    mintakaX
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/04 21:18:45 (permalink)
    Hey b rock--- Thanks as usual for the reply, may good fortune follow you and your loved ones for all time !
    I wish I could report success, but no Virus in P5. I did as you said. The interesting thing is if I do a Reset all and then follow it with another run where I check Rescan existing plugins, then I have no vst plugins in P5, the vst option doesn't even come up. If I do the vstconfig a third time and uncheck all boxes it does find the unmodded z3ta+, but no Virus. Since the Virus mod appears in Sonar, I take it that Sonar does not depend on vstconfig like P5 does ?

Thanks again,
    Dan
    b rock
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/04 22:49:27 (permalink)
    Sonar does not depend on vstconfig like P5 does ?
    Not in terms of an outside application (Sonar6). It's been internalized. I can't give you the details of how it works, but I can tell you that it's separate from the external VST Adapter that Project5 (or earlier Sonar) requires. So something is blocking the external Adapter from reading your Virus_zeta+.dll. Either it can't find it (the correct paths aren't added), there's a bad .dll (you'd probably get an indication of that in the scanning process), or multiple instances of the .dll are throwing it for a loop.

I just tried various ways of 'breaking' my installation by doing some of that. For sure, Project5 didn't find it. You don't have to run the whole process immediately after pressing Reset All. It just 'cleans house', and allows you to start over from scratch again. You can Reset All and Re-scan Existing Plug-ins in one operation. I'm running out of options for you, but have you tried Reset All, then checking 'Re-scan failed plug-ins' ONLY (all in one pass)?

If that doesn't work, you may have to take some screenshots of your expanded tree installation, as it appears laid out in Windows Explorer. Open up all of the z3ta+ subfolders on the left, have the Virus_z3ta+ folder highlighted (and the contents visible in the right pane), and press Alt+Print Screen on your Qwerty keyboard. You can paste that screenshot into any image/graphics program. Maybe someone can hunt down what's going wrong in the installation, or (more likely), why the Adapter isn't finding it.

Also, make sure that you do a search of your hard drive for Virus_z3ta+.dll, and that you only end up with one copy at one location.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/12/04 23:07:38
    mintakaX
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/05 01:47:51 (permalink)
    Thanks b rock-- I tried all the things you suggested. If I run vstconfig and do a Reset all and a re-scan existing plugins (all in one pass), all of my vsts dissapear from P5. Same thing if I check re-scan failed plugins. To get the vsts (for example z3ta+) back into P5, I need to run the vstconfig with no boxes checked and then I get a window showing all that were added (no virus of course). I've also done a search through all my hard drives and only found one instance of Virus_z3ta+.dll.

I have a jpeg of the screen shot but I'm not sure how to post it here. I can put it on a web site tommorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I'm going to give up on it pretty soon and just live without it in P5 for now.

Dan
    mintakaX
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/05 13:27:00 (permalink)
    The following link contains a screen shot of my Vstplugins directory structure. If anything is wrong, please let me know.
    You may have to zoom in on it once.

Screenshot

Thanks,
    Dan
    oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/05 13:47:48 (permalink)
    Looks like mine. I'm thinking registry issues, at this point.

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    b rock
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/05 14:09:17 (permalink)
    Looks like mine.
    Mine, too; disregarding what I've added. It also appears to match the path that you've posted from the VST Adapter (under Program Files). Looks like you've done everything right, Dan. Even the .dll file size is correct. And yet it works in S6, but not the P5's Adapter. I don't get it.
    fr4ncesco
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/05 14:47:00 (permalink)
    hi mintakaX, I confirm that the directory structure is correct

another idea:
    at the end of the scan from the Adapter (in the window called "Cakewalk VST Configuration Wizard: Plugin Configuration"), do you see the Virus_z3ta+ listed?
    If so, click on properties: is "Configure as synth" checked?
    mintakaX
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/05 20:36:32 (permalink)
    Hi fr4ncesco--- No, its not listed there, the regular z3ta+ is, but not the virus . By the way. The Virus mod is awesome !

Thanks for checking. I might give a call to tech support just to see if they have any ideas. The darn vstconfig goes through so fast I cant even tell where its looking.

b rock and oroboros-- I really appreciate your help. I'd rather not have the virus in P5 (since it works in Sonar 6) then mess with the registry !

Dan
    fr4ncesco
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/06 03:48:54 (permalink)
    ok, another - temporary - idea: in the inititial window, have you tried to "force" the scan adding not only the general folder
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins
    but also
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins\Virus_z3ta+
    mintakaX
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/06 12:24:15 (permalink)
    Thanks fr4ncesco-- Yes I did this early on. What I havent done just because I was afraid I might do some damage was to run the vstconfig with
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins\Virus_z3ta+ as the only directory. Now that I'm more familiar with things I should probably do this, I dont think it will do any harm because I can always go back and do it for the general folder. Right ? I should probably do a reset all with only the Virus folder in the scan. Unless someone says, "DONT DO THIS", I'll probably try it tonight when I get home.

thanks,
    Dan
    oroboros
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/06 16:11:37 (permalink)
    That shouldn't be a problem. Probably won't help, either, but try it, nothing to lose. You'll probably need to do a re-scan, afterwards, to get all of your other stuff back, but for now reset everything, do a scan of just the virus folder (making sure you click 'rescan all plug-ins' or whatever it's actually called), and see if it finds it. I'd probably delete/rename your 'CWVST.dll' file(s), too. Probably won't, but who knows.

I'm thinking your earlier virus mod in the same folder as the normal z3ta created a registry entry that's now confusing the VST adapter. I'm thinking they might both have the same CLSID (a unique identifier), and that the VST adapter is just picking one over the other. But that's just a guess, and other than diving into the registry, I don't know how to fix that problem, if that's what it is.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    mintakaX
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/07 17:56:19 (permalink)
    Thanks oroboros--- I have kind of given up for now, but only temporarly. I'll get back to it later. I have had some software that supplied a registry cleaner tool. That would probably fix it if it existed for the z3ta+. I may bug you some day for instructions of how to edit the registry...I have actually done it before, it just scare me. I've been a unix programmer for 20 years (fortran and C) so I'm not a total idiot when it comes to computers. Anyways thanks for yours and everyone else's help on this !

Dan
    oroboros
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/08 00:02:26 (permalink)
    Well then, shoot, shouldn't be a problem for you.

One thing you could do is, if you have a version of Sonar previous to 6, without the latest integrated VST thing, is to run it and see if it sees the virus mod. As it would use the same VST wrapper system as P5 currently does, what one doesn't see, the other shouldn't either. Then we know it's a registry issue.

As a non-destructive way to see what's going on in the registry, run the VST adapter, find on the list the z3ta that is being found, highlight it, hit 'Properties', then 'Details', and copy down the CLSID number (maybe Unique ID, too). Then open up the registry, go to 'Edit', 'Find...', type in the CLSID number (or Unique ID), see what pops up, then keep hitting F3 (Find Next) and see if anything else pops up. If so, and it says virus_z3ta as opposed to simply z3ta, then there's your issue. They both have the same CLSID (or Unique ID), which they shouldn't.

If you want to go the destructive route, first backup your registry - Regedit, highlight 'My Computer', 'File', 'Export', call it something, place it somewhere, check 'Export range: All', 'Save' - note it will be a huge file, as you're saving the entire registry). When finished with that, then do a search in the registry for 'virus_z3ta' or 'Virus_z3ta' or whatever you've ever called it, find all instances, if you see a CLSID or Unique ID number attached to that folder hive, copy it down, and do a serch for that number, too. When you've cross-checked all values found within 'virus_z3ta' hives, and feel certain they have to do with 'virus_z3ta' alone, delete those hives (folders) or keys (single lines) and and only those.

Then re-run the VST adapter, with your virus mod in its new, proper location, see if P5 finds it.

And if that doesn't work then try voodoo cause I don't know what else to tell you.

If anything goes screwy - Regedit, 'File', 'Import', import your previously saved .reg file. Everything should be back to normal. Of course, at your own risk and all. I take no responsibility, blah blah blah.

I have an issue on my computer where different versions (2.0 + 2.5) of one of my instruments as FX has the same CLSID. Shouldn't happen, but did. So only one of them shows up. I never use the instrument as an FX, so I haven't fixed the problem, but I know what the problem is.

The Other P5 Forum
    mintakaX
    RE: VST directory structure for z3ta+ ? 2006/12/08 10:33:49 (permalink)
    Thanks oroboros--- Now you've really sparked my curiosity and I'm going to check it out....thank you for your detailed instructions. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Best,
    Dan
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1