Opinions please: Tascam GVI

Author
tonester
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 823
2006/11/30 07:30:03 (permalink)

Opinions please: Tascam GVI

Hi all:

Being that it's Holiday time, and the wish lists are being prepared, I was curious if any of you have checked out this latest sampler from Tascam, the GVI. HERE is a link.

It's $399, unless you're upgrading from a Giga product.

Judging by the description, it seems worth it. Not sure of any 3rd party support. I'm looking towards a possible replacement for Y Sampler.

What do you folks think?

thanks,
Tony
www.myspace.com/livesayrox

19 Replies Related Threads

OldGeezer
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/11/30 12:49:04 (permalink)
    Most modern libraries are being produced for either GigaStudio or Kontakt (often both). And the only alternative to Giga3 (or GVI) you should be looking at is Kontakt2.

When I was shopping for a sampler, I was very much interested in GVI as the full-blown GigaStudio was reputed to be a resource pig and a separate computer was recommended to run it. GVI hadn't been released though, so I bought Kontakt 2. It is the best investment I've ever made in DAW software. Could be GVI would have been too but I'll never know.

I can't say one is better than the other, though I have seen posts stating that K2's scripting abilities make it superior (that could just be fanboy/fangirl talk though). I think as long as you go either Giga or Kontakt, you'll be all set, as they are both vying to become the sampler standard.

I can tell you from experience that Kontakt is perfectly stable in Sonar 4 as a DXI and VST (it also does standalone...which sounds like it is NI's alternative to all Giga's software in one box, though I could be wrong), and am amazed at how easy it is on the system resources. I wouldn't trade it for anything else, but I suspect that no matter which you buy, you'll have more power to play/alter/create sample-based instruments than you know what to do with (unless the GVI has a trimmed-down Giga editing featureset...better check it out before you make up your mind).

Whoa...I just did a quick search in here and in another thread, Vintagevibe wrote the following:
    "I could never get GigStudio 3 to work reliably. It lost the drivers every time the wind changed. I then got GVI and it works every time. It doesn't have the editor but I use the one that came with GigaStudio 3. Other than that it doesn't use the GSIF drivers so it won't have as quick a response as the rewire version but I care more about have it work every time I need it. You can get it for $125 as a registered GigaStudion owner. Also it uses a dongle which is IMO is better because it makes it portable."

"doesn't have the editor" and "it uses a dongle" would instantly sway me towards Kontakt2, but that's just me. I don't know what Kontakt2 costs vs GVI where you are, but if they're close, I'd go with K2.

I'd say either way, Giga3 or Kontakt2, you're gonna be impressed with the possibilities these new samplers present to you...but without the editor (that's just going by what I read in here), the choice would be pretty easy for me...I've already altered instruments in the libraries I've bought (moving keyswitches etc...). I hope someone else pipes up now that the thread's been bumped because I'm genuinely curious to know what experienced Giga users have to say so I don't inadvertently give out bad advice the next time someone asks. I'm pretty sure Giga3 and Kontakt2 are similar in power, and different in execution. But if you go K2, you can create your own instruments from scratch if you want to....though with a big learning curve. It has standalone, Vst and Dxi all in one package, and some really nice Vienna Syphonic orchestral instruments, and a couple of really nice grand pianos thrown in (among many others).
    Steve Mac
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 730
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/11/30 20:27:32 (permalink)
    GVI hadn't been released though, so I bought Kontakt 2. It is the best investment I've ever made in DAW software.

Hey Geez:

Do you know if the key-switching feature built into some Giga-libraries works with Kontakt 2? I got Kompakt with ACID 6, and cannot get it to recognize the key switches (in case the term is unfamiliar, the Dean GigaBass library, for example, has designated certain midi keys which instantly changed the sound from a bridge bass pickup to a net pickup; great feature).

Anyway, any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve McNamara ~~ SignatureTunes Studios~~SoundClick

Vertigo50
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 360
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/11/30 20:54:47 (permalink)
    If you've never used either Gigastudio or Kontakt, I recommend Kontakt. It has a much better future than Giga.

I've been a long-time Giga user, but now I'm mainly using Kontakt. I'm considering GVI simply because I have some Giga libraries that I can't convert to Kontakt format without losing some of the functionality. And I want to have a plugin that can run inside the host rather than rewired in. If it weren't for that, I would use Kontakt exclusively.

BUT, as someone who has used both extensively, Kontakt is so much better. If I were starting out today and choosing one or the other knowing what I know now, I would go with Kontakt in a heartbeat.
    Infinite5ths
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3631
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/11/30 21:44:15 (permalink)
    If you decide to buy GVI, FIRST BUY Gigastudio 3 Ensemble -- available direct from the Tascam website for $129. The upgrad to GVI is $125 (or something like that). It will cost you about as much as buying GVI outright...but....

You get the full Giga Editor with Giga 3 Ensemble. If you're serious about Gigastudio, then you'll definitely want the full editor.

GVI only includes the lite editor.
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2006/11/30 23:51:36

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
    OldGeezer
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/11/30 23:20:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Steve Mac

GVI hadn't been released though, so I bought Kontakt 2. It is the best investment I've ever made in DAW software.

Hey Geez:

Do you know if the key-switching feature built into some Giga-libraries works with Kontakt 2? I got Kompakt with ACID 6, and cannot get it to recognize the key switches (in case the term is unfamiliar, the Dean GigaBass library, for example, has designated certain midi keys which instantly changed the sound from a bridge bass pickup to a net pickup; great feature).

Anyway, any thoughts?

Thanks,

Hi Steve. I honestly don't know as I've never used Giga, but they're probably not compatible in any way, so you'd likely have to use the Giga samples and build your own K2 keyswitched instruments, which may be a daunting task -it's relatively easy to cut groups from K2 instruments and paste them into custom K2 instruments and assign your own keyswitches, but Giga library samples may be organized according to a different paradigm...maybe not, I can't say for sure. Maybe someone who uses both could tell you for sure.

Edit: Woops, sorry, I just realized you're using Kompakt and not Kontakt. It may not be possible to assign keyswitches as I believe Kompakt has minimal editing capabilities. Maybe it can do it, but I wouldn't bet on it. Kompakt is still a helluva nice player to get as a freebie though eh?
    post edited by OldGeezer - 2006/12/01 00:24:52
    Vertigo50
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/11/30 23:29:15 (permalink)
    I believe the keyswitches work, although it may end up making them all seperate instruments. I haven't converted any samples in quite a while.

The main thing that doesn't work is the modwheel crossfade controls, which really sucks. I have a lot of samples that use it.

BUT, Kontakt can do the same thing, and better, in my opinion, as it gives you more control. But it just doesn't convert it over correctly.
    JonD
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/12/05 03:52:36 (permalink)
    Check this link out:

http://www.scitscat.com/catalog/tascam-gigastudio-ensemble-p-597.html

(It's Gigastudio Ensemble for $49 - Call to make sure they're still in stock). These folks are totally legit, and have many happy customers saying so at the various audio forums.

I bought this item - the full, retail box - a couple of months ago, registered it at Tascam and now qualify for a $125 upgrade to GVI. Admittedly, I was on the verge of buying kontakt2, but heck, I can't bring myself to not take advantage of this deal.

At this price, you can pretty much justify a write-off if it doesn't give you what you want, then go for Kontakt2 later!

**EDIT: Well, shoot! I guess I wasn't reading closely enough, as I was just reminded that GVI uses a dongle. I might have to consider the FX-MAX Giga Adapter instead.

JD

post edited by JonD - 2006/12/05 04:36:55
    tonester
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/12/05 08:07:52 (permalink)
    Wow: That looks to good to be true!

My only experience with Giga so far, is the cut down version that came with my Tascam FW-1082. It was totlayy buggy crap that crashed Sonar 5 constantly (via rewire). I gave up on it, but I did keep the Giga Piano, which works in VSampler just fine.

I think I will investigfate this $49 deal more thouroughly, but I'm sor of leaning towards Kontakt 2, especially after reading all your comments.

Thanks,

Tony
    Poco
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 746
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/12/05 10:09:41 (permalink)
    I use both Giga Ensemble ($49.00 from ScitScat) and GVI (~$120.00 from Tascam). I must say that after the kernal level hassle (kernal mode = fast, but troublesome unless you use a dedicated machine) of GS3, GVI is a real dream. With Rewire (GS3), you still have to load two separate applications, and project settings are not contained within Sonar for the ReWire product. I especially like the way that GVI allows you to route outputs to virtual audio channels, stack instruments on one midi channel, and run multiple instances of the the VI itself. I have used GS since it was Giga Sampler, but I am really sold on GVI. It is very intuitive and well thought-out. The only thing it lacks is the full instrument editor, and unless you are creating your own sample libs, you won't miss it. The dongle is not as bad as it sounds. It enabled me to load GVI on a friends machine to determine if it would work for him or not. If he wants to use it, all he has to do is buy the product, and plug the dongle in. In that respect, it is easier than GS3s product activation (which is famous for getting corrupted on BSOD).

Poco

God People - God Music
    Where there is no peace, it is not peaceful.
    tonester
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/12/05 11:19:23 (permalink)
    Thanks, that's good to know...........

Well, I just ordered the Giga Ensemble for $49.00 from ScitScat. How bad could it be? I mean, I've paid for the VSampler upgrade, and I'm not really happy with it at all, so maybe this will be what I'm looking for.

Hopefully, it won't crash Sonar 6 PE. I may just take the upgrade to GVI as well, once the Ensemble arrives.

Happy Holidays all,

Tony
    sambasevam
    • Total Posts : 383
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/12/05 12:33:26 (permalink)
    Can someone write a complete full review on Tascam GS3 ensemble?

How is the included library? How fast a CPU does it require? How fast is the loading times? How can you convert akai libs to giga, etc? Basically what you can do with giga that you cant do with kontakt.

"For a person to be successful, there has to be in him, a tingling sense of sorrow in the deepest part of his heart and move him emotionally...."
    Vertigo50
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/12/13 19:36:08 (permalink)
    I won't write a complete review, but I'll point you to NorthernSounds Giga Forum, where you'll find out more than you ever wanted to know about it.

HERE

By the way, one of the big things you'll be missing with GVI is the editor, as someone said. But, there's a bigger issue to that.

With Giga, even if you have the editor, it's a separate program. If you want to edit an instrument, you load up a separate editor, make your changes, then you have to either overwrite the original, or create a new copy.

With Kontakt, you load it inside Sonar, and the editor is inside the Kontakt plugin, even inside Sonar. Not only that, but you can make edits and they will be saved when you re-open it in Sonar, without affecting the original instrument. OR, you can save it to the instrument if you want to. You have so much flexibility.

Add to that the scripting, as someone mentioned, and it's a no-brainer. The scripting is a BIG deal. It's not just a fanboy thing. I have a script that lets me turn any sample into a crossfadeable sample. For example, I take a trumpet sample. Normally, it's got 4 velocity layers to it, but the only way to go from one to the other is to change the velocity of each note. With this script, I can use the mod wheel or any other controller to control the velocity, and SWEEP from one velocity to the other. So I can do a slow crescendo from the softest sample to the loudest, and it not only gets louder, but it changes layers, so the sound gets brighter and brassier, just like a real trumpet would. It's literally fading to the sample of the real player playing soft, to the sample of the real player playing loud. So it's not just a fake volume crescendo.

I know what you're saying. Giga can do that. Sure, IF it's programmed into the sample. You have to go through a lengthy editing process to make this happen with either sampler. But with this script, I just load up the script on ANY instrument, tweak a few settings, and I'm rolling.

So as I said, the scripting is a HUGE benefit. It's not something that has been fully utilized by users yet, but I predict you're going to start seeing some really cool scripts coming out in the future. And most of them will probably be free.
    Vertigo50
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/12/13 19:43:59 (permalink)
    I would also mention one more thing. Gary Garritan, the guy who created Garritan Strings a few years ago (one of the greatest sampled instruments ever made) has stopped creating his libraries for Gigastudio, and is now creating for Kontakt. Gary Garritan is an innovator, and he's always looking for the most power he can get for his libraries.

I think it speaks volumes that he made this switch. This is one of the reasons I switched over.
    Duojet
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1413
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/12/13 19:50:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Vertigo50

I would also mention one more thing. Gary Garritan, the guy who created Garritan Strings a few years ago (one of the greatest sampled instruments ever made) has stopped creating his libraries for Gigastudio, and is now creating for Kontakt. Gary Garritan is an innovator, and he's always looking for the most power he can get for his libraries.

I think it speaks volumes that he made this switch. This is one of the reasons I switched over.

how is kontakt 2.2, is it buggy in sonar6? i hear so many mixed reviews, from very positive to absolute horror stories.

Intel Core2Duo e8400
    Abit IP35-E
    4GB Ram
    Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit
    EMU 1820m

DFHS2, BFD2, Battery3, Amplitube2, GuitarRig3, Kontakt4, Ampeg SVX, Line6 PodXT
    Infinite5ths
    • Total Posts : 3631
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/12/13 21:25:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Vertigo50

Yes...and I've had more trouble with the Kontakt player that is bundled with GPO than I have with any other plugin or ReWire app except Gigastudio. I've got it to a point where it's pretty stable now -- as long as I avoid my list of "don't you dare"s. GPO is fabulous, and the performance concept is brilliant. The only thing I dislike about it is Kontakt. (Yes...I've installed the updates/patches available for this version of the Kontakt Player.)

The free GPO update to the Kontakt 2 engine is supposed to arrive in a month or so. Maybe I will change my mind about Kontakt after that is released.....but I don't have any great expectations.
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2006/12/13 21:47:09

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
    mcgooze
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 255
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/12/13 21:31:49 (permalink)
    I've used Gigastudio for about 5 years now, but never upgraded past 2.5, because the computer it's on is a Win 98 machine. I had problems trying to get it to run on the same machine as Sonar ('cause that computer had dual processors which Giga 2.5 didn't like). Anyway, I got tired of waiting for GVI, & went with Kontakt. Kontakt is light years more intuitive in terms of editing than 2.5 was (sorry- don't know Giga 3.0). I'm still learning Kontakt, but basic synth editing & moving samples around within an instrument is really easy in Kontakt, & wasn't in Gigastudio (IMO).

I may however still get GVI, because I've had difficulty getting my library to convert. I have Chicken Systems Translator, and of course Kontakt can convert just about any format, but few of my libraries have converted flawlessly. After Christmas I should be able to determine whether there are things I can do to make the translations work, or whether I just need to get GVI.

greg

Greg McGuirk Music & Audio
    www.gmma.biz

JonD
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/12/14 03:32:25 (permalink)
    Everybody's situation is different. Mine directed me toward GVI.

I was able to get GVI for less than half the cost of kontakt2. +1

I'm a songwriting hobbyist and where as scripting may be the ultimate level of control if your playing all the instruments on the CD you're planning to release, it's way overkill for me. GVI ain't bad in this regard. +1

I have about a dozen Giga CDs that I was formerly playing with sfz+ and VSampler, so GVI is a step up for me. +1

I too believe Gary Garritan is a true innovator. I save a ton of money and grief by not trying to stay on the edge of innovation. +1

I'm thankful we live in an age where there is both kontakt2 and GVI to choose from. +1

JD
    whinnerah
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/12/14 05:32:08 (permalink)
    Vertigo50, where did you get the crossfade script from? It sounds very useful.
    bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    RE: Opinions please: Tascam GVI 2006/12/14 12:36:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: whinnerah

Vertigo50, where did you get the crossfade script from? It sounds very useful.

And which brass library are you using it with?

Vertigo50, if you would, would you please explain a little more about what scripts are, how they're used, and how I as a user would implement one?

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1