OT: Trading Sonar

Author
tonymead
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
2006/11/30 08:28:03 (permalink)

OT: Trading Sonar

Hi there.

I'm looking to switch hosts (either back to cubase or protools m-powered) as Sonar is just getting a bit too unwieldy for my purpose..so my question is can I trade it (I know I can't sell it) - and how would this affect any licence transfer.

Kind Regards

Tony Mead

15 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: OT: Trading Sonar 2006/11/30 08:34:42 (permalink)
    Once registered, your license in nontransferable, so you have nothing to donate, trade or sell.
    post edited by scook - 2006/11/30 08:53:12
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: OT: Trading Sonar 2006/11/30 08:37:36 (permalink)
    The EULA that you agreed to when you installed Sonar specifically stated that you are not allowed to sell or give it away. Sonar will not transfer the license and will not activate it for anyone other than you. Sorry.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    stratcat
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    RE: OT: Trading Sonar 2006/11/30 08:59:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

The EULA that you agreed to when you installed Sonar specifically stated that you are not allowed to sell or give it away. Sonar will not transfer the license and will not activate it for anyone other than you. Sorry.

I am a registered user of Sonar 4. I've thought about upgrading, but are you saying that Cakewalk has now implemented an activation process to install their software? Man, if that's true it might affect my decision... It probably wont keep me from eventually going ahead with an upgrade, but I hate that stuff.

Stratcat
    Sonar PE 6.2.1
    P4 2.8c
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: OT: Trading Sonar 2006/11/30 09:27:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: stratcat

I am a registered user of Sonar 4. I've thought about upgrading, but are you saying that Cakewalk has now implemented an activation process to install their software? Man, if that's true it might affect my decision... It probably wont keep me from eventually going ahead with an upgrade, but I hate that stuff.

It has been so long since I installed 4 I do not remeber if the process is any different. With 5 and 6, CW emails an activation code that must be entered in addition to the SN during the install process. It does not seem to be that big a deal.
    Beagle
    RE: OT: Trading Sonar 2006/11/30 09:40:16 (permalink)
    scook's right. starting with 5 (and with Home Studio 4 and MC3), you have a question/response activation. You enter the SN and the activation code is sent to you in an email, or I think you can retrieve it online now, but I'm not sure of that. the software works for 30 days prior to activation, so you've got time to work out any problems. most don't have problems, but some have problems with spam filters blocking the activation emails.

corrupted
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2739
    RE: OT: Trading Sonar 2006/11/30 09:40:37 (permalink)
    The activation they have implemented is VERY simple and non-intrusive. As long as you have an email address you're all set. It's a tiny way of trying to discourage piracy without causing headaches... and I would bet that you won't have any issues. I think they deserve to be able to serialize and register copies, and the fact that they make is very painless is great.

EDIT, the "challenge/response" method Beagle is referring to is a "one-time email registration", as opposed to the constant challenge/response some other softwares require.
    post edited by corrupted - 2006/11/30 09:59:51
    tonymead
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: OT: Trading Sonar 2006/11/30 10:09:35 (permalink)
    The activation they have implemented is VERY simple and non-intrusive.

Yes it is. they just email you the activation code, it's very painless process. I only activated my copy about a week ago - wish I'd made the decision earlier now - never mind.

Thanks for the replies everyone

Tony.
    post edited by tonymead - 2006/11/30 10:26:53
    Beagle
    RE: OT: Trading Sonar 2006/11/30 10:26:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: corrupted

EDIT, the "challenge/response" method Beagle is referring to is a "one-time email registration", as opposed to the constant challenge/response some other softwares require.

Correct! Thanks for clarifying!

stratcat
    RE: OT: Trading Sonar 2006/11/30 11:26:33 (permalink)
    So......let me ask a question I hesitate to ask...

Would this prevent me from having it loaded on my primary music desktop pc AND my laptop at the same time? I know some licenses are very specific about only one pc, but practically, if I had the need to do some remote recording, I would hate to think I would have to uninstall, reinstall, reinitialize the license, etc everytime to accomplish this..??? With my Sonar 4, this is not an issue and since I would NOT have the need or desire to use it on more than one pc at a time, this seems legit. Is it not?

Stratcat
    Sonar PE 6.2.1
    P4 2.8c
    corrupted
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2739
    RE: OT: Trading Sonar 2006/11/30 11:36:47 (permalink)
    You can do that. I don't think it's against the rules, personally, but I haven't verified that.

I do know that you CAN physically do it because you don't have to ask for a new registration code on each installation. It's not like windows XP.
    JohnrC
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: OT: Trading Sonar 2006/11/30 11:50:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: stratcat

So......let me ask a question I hesitate to ask...

Would this prevent me from having it loaded on my primary music desktop pc AND my laptop at the same time?

Not prevented, this is fine. Basically any number of installations as long as they're not being used at the same time. HTH.
    stratcat
    RE: OT: Trading Sonar 2006/11/30 11:55:30 (permalink)
    Cool!

Stratcat
    Sonar PE 6.2.1
    P4 2.8c
    Silver Dragon Sound
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: OT: Trading Sonar 2006/11/30 12:36:56 (permalink)
    This whole issue has me and I imagine a wholeboat load of people unwilling to upgrade. Sadly when I do feel I need to upgrade, I will look at everything and go with whatever has the best overall package. Upgrading system strike one against Sonar.
    Beagle
    RE: OT: Trading Sonar 2006/11/30 14:56:13 (permalink)
    Yes, you can load on more than one machine at a time as long as it's not being used at the same time exactly as Johnrc says.

This whole issue has me and I imagine a wholeboat load of people unwilling to upgrade. Sadly when I do feel I need to upgrade, I will look at everything and go with whatever has the best overall package. Upgrading system strike one against Sonar.

Silver Dragon Sound - yes, this is one reason to contemplate during purchase. Cubase allows transfer of the license for a fee, but they also require a dongle for you to be able to use it. So look at all of the different options as well and decide what is most important to you.

I believe that Sonar's EULA has always been "no transfer allowed", it's at least been that way for SEVERAL versions. The activation is the only thing that's really new and that's to help prevent people from transferring the license against the EULA.

gwmatt
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 100
    Correction: Registration, NOT Activation 2006/11/30 16:00:18 (permalink)
    Product "Activation" (as implemented by companies like Microsoft) requires that the software be able to contact the companies' web site in order to be "activated". It then watches any changes made to your computer (such as adding a new hard drive or video card) and after a certain number of changes has been reached the software requires re-activation. In other words, if you like to tweak your computer a lot, your software can turn into a useless doorstop.

Sonar 5 and 6 *DO NOT* do this.

The installation DVD comes with a product Serial Number, which must be entered when the product is installed. The first time you run it, it prompts for a REGISTRATION CODE, which is provided by Cakewalk (either over the web or by phone) when you register. You can use the software for up to 30 days without entering the registration code.

Once you've got the registration code, you can enter it into Sonar and it will stay registered regardless of any changes you make to your computer. Likewise, if you ditch your computer in favor of a new one there's nothing preventing you from installing the same version of Sonar on your new computer. You simply use the same registration code as before - there's no need to request a new one.

In no case does Sonar make contact with Cakewalk's web site. Once you have your registration code, it is yours to use as you see fit - within the terms of the license agreement of course.

This type of registration requirement is quite typical of many high end products. It is not obtrusive. It doesn't require a dongle or a network connection. And once the product is registered to you, it stays registered to you.

All in all, I like the way Sonar does things. It prevents (or at least discourages) piracy without alienating or inconveniencing its customers. This is one of the reasons I chose Sonar in the first place.
    post edited by gwmatt - 2006/11/30 16:23:13
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1