OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff?

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2007/02/11 23:14:09 (permalink)
This is a silly conversation. Does it really matter?

All I know is that when I was a kid, whenever my birthday or Christmas rolled around, I received the latest Beatles album as a gift and we had at least 2 record players in our household.

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

pantherhawk27263
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 258
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2007/02/12 19:58:02 (permalink)
Getting back to the original point of this thread, I finally got the "Love" cd in January (I'm not allowed to buy things in the fall because Christmas is coming up, and my birthday is a month later, so I have to wait for some things) and I have to say it probably the single most impressive recording I've ever heard. It makes todays recordings sound flat and lifeless, and truly is like hearing The Beatles for the first time again. I was expecting to be disappointed by it, but couldn't stop saying "F***ing brilliant!" and "F***ing genius!" as I listened to it the first time. With the exception of my 17 year old son, everyone I've let listen to it has gone out and bought it, even people who weren't Beatles fans. It is a magnificent piece of work.

"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the BEST!"
Frank Zappa - "Packard Goose" from "Joe's Garage"
markmann
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2007/02/12 21:56:07 (permalink)
It makes todays recordings sound flat and lifeless, and truly is like hearing The Beatles for the first time again.

yes pantherhawk,
That's what I was talking about when I first posted. They're doing something that makes the sound way better than most any modern thing I've heard. I had the same response: Holy **** what the heck are they doing. I wouldn't be suprised if it was the one inch 4 track thing (I think that's what they used a lot of the time). Also, I think George and Giles Martin "unoverdubbed" as much as possible by getting the earliest possible generations of all performances in a tune and then lining them up in ProTools.

Sonar 6.2, Athlon 4400x2, 4 UAD cards, Benchmark D/A, MOTU Traveler, Apogee Mini-me clock, Kontackt, MMV, ColorTone, HydraTone, Amplitube 2, Digital Performer, G5
KenB123
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1229
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2007/05/09 10:08:52 (permalink)
I have been totally impressed with the "Love" recording both from the recorded sound aspect (as the original poster of this thread commented on) and from the entertainment aspect. Before purchase, I had some concerns about the 'mix rearrangement' aspects but it has proven to be a real treat to listen to. I also listen listen to the DVD-Audio Surround version as I have a audio system that supports that. It does make a big difference!

I just returned from Vegas and took the opportunity to see the actual Cirque du Soleil show. What a treat that turned out to be! The Cirque performance complemented the Beatles music really well, and it worked out being a totally entertaining performance. There is a lot of visual surprises in the show, and the surround sound was excellent. The performance is actually in the round with the audience surrounding the stage 360-degrees. Everyone gets a surround sound experience in the circular theater. A really nice audio engineered project.

There is a speaker in the back of seat in front of you. I am not sure of this, but I thought there may even be speakers in the headset of each seat also. If there are, they are not 'in your face' audio signals but possibly subtle surround tones and such. (Maybe someone else could confirm).

Bottom line, I (and my wife and relatives) really enjoyed this show. George and Giles Martin really pulled off an exceptional audio production, and the Cirque did a terrific theater adaption. Note that I grew up with the Beatle's music, so I may have a slight slant here. My only hesitency for seeing the show is that it is rather pricey. For me it was worth it and would consider seeing it again someday.

Going in, I already new that at least a big part of the show would be entertaining for me (the musical aspect). If you don't care for Beatles music.....???? Well, all I can say is, a co-worker of mine saw the show also and is not a Beatles fan, but he still thought the show was great.
post edited by KenB123 - 2007/05/09 10:10:42
markmann
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2007/05/09 16:21:51 (permalink)
There is a speaker in the back of seat in front of you. I am not sure of this, but I thought there may even be speakers in the headset of each seat also. If there are, they are not 'in your face' audio signals but possibly subtle surround tones and such. (Maybe someone else could confirm).

KenB, thanks for the interesting review of the show. I'm hoping they do a video DVD of it as they have done of some other Cirque shows. Also, since they digitized all the Beatles multitracks they could do "straight" remixes of much of the discography in a way that is faithful to the originals. I would certainly buy these discs if they were manufactured. AND I'd keep my originals.

Sonar 6.2, Athlon 4400x2, 4 UAD cards, Benchmark D/A, MOTU Traveler, Apogee Mini-me clock, Kontackt, MMV, ColorTone, HydraTone, Amplitube 2, Digital Performer, G5
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1