?? - Connecting Mic to Cakewalk...

Author
exoskeleton
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/11/30 17:16:57 (permalink)

?? - Connecting Mic to Cakewalk...

I am new to cakewalk, so this may be a basic question...but here goes.

I'm using HomeStudio 2004 running on a laptop. I am connnecting my guitar to the laptop via the USB interface in my PodXt. So....guitar into PodXT...USB to laptop. Recording guitar tracks is great...no latency issues...no problems.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to connect my vocals, and I've managed to confuse myself....maybe someone can help.

Currently, my vocal setup as follows:

Mic into TC Helicon Live Vocal Processor via standard Mic Cable. TC Helicon to PA via stereo connectors into one of the channels.

So....what do I need to do to get the vocals into Cakewalk??

I've tried connecting the PA to the laptop using the "MAIN OUT" stereo connectors from the PA to the MIC input on the laptop. I then slected the sound card as the Input in the vocal track in Cakewalk...but the end result was not good. I could get vocals in...but it was terribly latent and distorted. Being new to Cakewalk, I am not sure how to adjust the audio qualities for an individual track, and am concerned I will screw up the good thing I have going now on the guitar via Pod.

I do have an audio out on the PA that the PA manual indicates as the out to use for external recording devices. I just picked up the correct connectors from Radio Shack, and plan on experimenting with going out through those directly into the laptop via the Mic Jack....however, I'm thinking I'll have the same problem.

Do I need a direct box? A mixer?

My thinking was that the PA should act as a mixer (since it is one) and I should be able to get my vocals in to Cakewalk somehow without having to drop another $200-$300 for a DB.

But....the truth is...I know diddly about Cakewalk...

So.....can anyone drop some knowlege on me here?

thx.

3 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: ?? - Connecting Mic to Cakewalk... 2006/11/30 18:15:13 (permalink)
    connecting the PA to the laptop using the "MAIN OUT" stereo connectors from the PA to the MIC input on the laptop

That's about as wrong as you could possibly be.

You should connect the LINE OUT of the PA to the LINE IN on the soundcard.

You really shouldn't use the MIC IN on the laptop.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    macflooze
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    RE: ?? - Connecting Mic to Cakewalk... 2006/11/30 18:44:20 (permalink)
    TC line out to line in on Pod XT (if it has one) should appear to Cake about the same as yr guitar

Pmac
    ToneZone

Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe - Dmitry Orlov
    flowmaster
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: ?? - Connecting Mic to Cakewalk... 2006/11/30 23:14:45 (permalink)
    the mic should go directly into the interface, no? there should be a direct connection for it

FL Studio XXL
    Sonar Home Studio 4 XL
    Dell Notebook 1501
    Roland GrooveBox 303
    Yamaha Synthesizer
    Eurorack Mixer
    Technic 3' Speakers
    Technic Receiver
    Gemini Turntables/ Mixer
    Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
    MXL 990 Mic
    M-audio interface