words of wisdom please

Author
lionessgrrl
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2006/11/30 17:24:30 (permalink)

words of wisdom please

my husband bought me music creator 3 for my 26th birthday in august. as of now i am still too ****ed to do a single thing with it. i sing pretty and play guitar. i have written some songs and just want to record them and add some percussion and such. i have no idea what any of the terminology is and therefore the "for- beginners" instructions may as well be written in greek.
is there a book that can tell me the absolute basics and lead me through this project. i am as begginer as possible. which will be clearly illustrated in my next question.
my laptop does not have a built in mic. i have a mic and my guitar is accoustic/electric. is there a special adapter i can buy to plug these things directly into my computer!
thanks in advance!

7 Replies Related Threads

pantherhawk27263
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: words of wisdom please 2006/11/30 20:13:35 (permalink)
    Congrats for stepping into the world of digital recording. Recording has it's own unique terminology, most of which is still carried over from the days of analog. A good start would be a beginners book on recording, like the "Recording For Dummies" book. Even people who have been involved with recording for a long time can learn things from these books (I am NOT one of those people who have been involved with recording for a long time). Also use this forum. You won't find a friendlier bunch of people who will help you. Don't expect to be an expert in recording in a few hours or days, or even weeks. Be patient and ask questions, no matter how stupid you think the question is.

You should be able to plug a mic or electric guitar straight into your laptop. I had to get some adaptors from Radio Shack to allow my 1/4" plugs to be plugged into the 1/8" inputs on my computer.

One thing that will help people here help you is to tell us what kind of computer you have, and what kind of soundcard it has. Every computer is different, so that will help a lot. Don't feel bad if you don't know what soundcard you have, a lot of new users don't. We'll even tell you how to do that. Also search this forum for "advice for newbies" threads. They will help you a lot as well.

"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the BEST!"
    Frank Zappa - "Packard Goose" from "Joe's Garage"
    sjfoote
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: words of wisdom please 2006/11/30 20:14:28 (permalink)
    Lionessgirl,

It can be difficult if you have no experience with computer recording, but this forum is a great place to get help. If you really are completely lost after having watched and done the tutorials, then you should go ahead and get a help book.

MC3 is closely related to SONAR 4 and there are a number of useful books to walk you thru every step of recording. I purchased my SONAR 4 book from the discount bin at MicroCenter because with SONAR 6 now available, the older SONAR 4 stuff is on sale at most places. Try your local book store or check on-line at Amazon - there are plenty of deals available.

Good luck with your recording and we encourage you to check back here often for useful info and good people!

no better, just older
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: words of wisdom please 2006/11/30 20:33:51 (permalink)
    That's a nice gift. I like August birthdays(mine's the 22nd, Virgo enough to think about it, and leo enough to be stubborn about it.) The soundcards on most laptops are not really great, and if you can afford it, you can get external devices like the Line6 Toneport that will allow you to connect a mic or guitar with pretty decent sound. Realistically, you are looking at around $200 for an ok mic and an interface(combination soundcard and adapter).
    Check in here with any questions you have, this is a good bunch.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    lionessgrrl
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: words of wisdom please 2006/11/30 20:36:03 (permalink)
    thanks for the tips! i have a dell inspiron 2200. i have no idea what kind of soundcard i have. i couldn't find the advice for newbies post, but i have found a few others to check out and i think i am going to get that book. hopefully i will figure this stuff out!
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: words of wisdom please 2006/11/30 20:47:13 (permalink)
    I'm not calling you a dummy....but I would also suggest "Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies". I read it when I first started home recording and I even keep it as a reference. It's an excellent book - well written and easy to understand.

What kind of mic do you have?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: words of wisdom please 2006/12/01 17:26:44 (permalink)
    On this forum, click the Cakewalk logo above, and when you get there, click support and look for the "Desktop Music Handbook". It may help you.
    Also, since you are initially going to be working with audio, ignore the messages saying you haven't chosen any MIDI inputs/outputs.
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: words of wisdom please 2006/12/03 02:14:59 (permalink)
    Save your money with a laptop and when you can afford it get an E-MU 1616M it will be all you need for a lon g long time, in the mean time to get a decent start off go to a guitar venter or Online music store and buy a cheap mixer like a behringer 802 and we can help you get things rolling.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1