Recording MIDI with MOTU Fastlane USB...

Author
BobLefty61
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2006/11/30 20:07:33 (permalink)

Recording MIDI with MOTU Fastlane USB...

One thing is for certain...I'm a better musician than a technician!

OK...I've got my laptop with my new sound card (Echo Indigo io)...have been recording audio for the past week with mostly fine results.

Today, I bought a MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface....it's time, for me, to start learning about MIDI.

I have a MIDI cable, which I connected from the "MIDI Out" port on my Yamaha PSR740 keyboard into the MOTU device. The MOTU is hooked up to the USB port.

Newbie question: Do I also need a cable to go from the "MIDI Out" on the Motu to the input of the sound card? If so, it would be a MIDI connect on one end, and a 1/8 jack on the other, right? I thought, probably incorrectly, that the MIDI data traveled through the USB port to get into the computer...

Thanks...Bob.

3 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Recording MIDI with MOTU Fastlane USB... 2006/11/30 20:34:33 (permalink)
    No, you cannot send MIDI to the sound card. You can hook up the AUDIO or HEADPHONE OUTPUT from the keyboard to the soundcard, but MIDI is DATA ONLY, NOT sound.

Make sure you work thru the tutorials and you will understand MIDI a lot better.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Recording MIDI with MOTU Fastlane USB... 2006/11/30 21:38:40 (permalink)
    You can send MIDI to the soundcard internally (not using external cables) by using softsynths. Home Studio comes with the Edirol Virtual Sound Canvas and Dreamstation and there are others you can get on the web. Take the tutorial on Using Softsynths or load Tutorial1.cwp and follow these instructions:

1) View-Synth Rack
    2) Click the Insert DXi button (looks like an asterisk)
    3) Click on Edirol VSC - Check First Synth Output and Synth Property Page checkboxes
    4) Edit Select All (to select all tracks)
    5) Track-Property-Output
    6) Select Edirol VSC from the MIDI Outputs pulldown (that makes the Edirol VSC the output for all MIDI tracks)
    7) Hit play

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    BobLefty61
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Recording MIDI with MOTU Fastlane USB... 2006/11/30 22:20:03 (permalink)
    Thanks so much guys...I'm making progress here! Used the Edirol VSC and finally could "hear" the MIDI data...

Believe me, I've been trying to read as much as possible and learn this stuff...but you folks here have a way of simplifying things, and it's very helpful.

Thanks again...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1