Beefing up session drummer

Author
Gareth
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 645
2006/12/01 06:14:23 (permalink)

Beefing up session drummer

Whilst I've been happy using Session Drummer, and thankful that HS2004 was able to import it from my previously installed Pro9 programme, I'm finding the rigidity of its sound a bit frustrating.
What I'm trying to say is that sometimes I'd like to beef up the impact individual drums have in any given mix.

After converting the midi SD track to audio I've experimented with applying audio fx but as this is a global application ie snare, kick, hi-hat are all affected, it's not a very satisfying process. For instance adding a touch of reverb to brighten the snare brings on the Phil Spector sound!

From what I understand of SD 2 it's possible to isolate each component of the kit and tweak them individually. I guess this isn't possible with the original SD.

Anyone out there found a solution to this? All suggestions very welcome
Thanks, Gareth

Check out: htpp://www.cognac-countryhouse.com

Acer(Vista), Sempron 3600 2Ghz, 3go RAM, 250Go HD, Tascam122L. Fender 'Rhinestone' Strat, Cort electro acoustic, Seagull 12string, Eko semi acoustic, Peavey bass , Behringer UMX controller

17 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/01 08:03:54 (permalink)
    You can work on each part of the individually, the process is a little different than with SD2. I believe that HS does support CAL (a scripting language developed years ago by CW) and should have a "split notes to track" CAL script in your installation somewhere. Sorry I cannot be more precise, I do not have HS2004. Running that script on the MIDI track will do the job for you. Once you get the MIDI track broken out by each instrument, it is a snap to individually process each part of the kit.

This forum has many threads discussing mixing tricks, the most recent being
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=914228
    post edited by scook - 2006/12/01 08:24:03
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/01 09:27:09 (permalink)
    I don't know if you've thought of this but:

After you've created a full drum track for your song and you've 'process/apply midi effects' so the track is now displaying the midi data, highlight the whole track in the clip pane, use edit/select/by filter, select by note for just the kick drum "note", then cut, paste into another track. Do the same thing for the snare drum. You'll end up with the snare and the kick having their own tracks.
    post edited by fep - 2006/12/01 09:49:32
    Gareth
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/02 12:41:00 (permalink)
    Thanks scook and fep for the response.

1 Still looking for CAL ' split notes to tracks'; so far no luck. But maybe it wasn't included in the HS2004 package (like lots of other bits and pieces!)

2 fep I followed your path and arrived at the 'select by filter' window and was confronted by a totally confusing matrix of tick boxes a dialogue box and a host of other mysteries! Tried the help page which didn't seem to relate to anything I was trying to get to ie your suggestion of cutting and pasting from the midi drum track.

Any suggestions (apart from a brain transplant) ?

Gareth

Acer(Vista), Sempron 3600 2Ghz, 3go RAM, 250Go HD, Tascam122L. Fender 'Rhinestone' Strat, Cort electro acoustic, Seagull 12string, Eko semi acoustic, Peavey bass , Behringer UMX controller
    fep
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/02 15:06:15 (permalink)
    Garreth, I stumbled thru the same thing as you’re going thru right now. I probably didn’t provide enough detail. And the good news is I found an easier way than using the ‘Select’ page. Don’t be daunted by my long-winded explanation, this is actually quite simple when you get the hang of it.

From your post I’m assuming you have a drum track with the midi data displayed in the clips pane.

1 – Save your project with a different name before trying this, I don’t want to be blamed on you losing any data.

2 - Have an empty midi track available for later when we do the paste. (Insert/Midi Track)

3- Identify the note that represents your kick drum note. Click on your drum track so the whole track is displayed and open the piano roll view (View/Piano Roll). I located my kick drum note by seeing the lowest note in my track that had events was C3, I clicked on the displayed keyboard on C3 and confirmed that yes that was a kick drum.

4. Select the whole kick drum part. We’ll use C3 in my example for the kick drum, use which ever note your track is using for a kick drum (it’s probably C3 of B3 if you’re using GM). Simple click C3 on the displayed keyboard in the Piano Roll view, and you should see all the events for C3 darkened to indicate they are selected (and none of the events for the other drums should be darkened).

5 – Cut the kick drum part (Edit/Cut, select ‘Events in Track’ button only), when you do this the kick drum part should disappear from your drum track.

6 – Click your empty midi track to select it and paste (Edit/Paste, make sure your starting time and destination track is displayed correctly.

Ta da, your bass drum events are now in their own track. Do the same procedure for the snare drum.

I just did this myself as a test. It took my 35 seconds to do, so once you get the hang of this it’s really quick.

Cheers,

Frank
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/02 15:34:16 (permalink)
    this is how i used to separate drum tracks after i discovered how annoying it is having all the notes on a single track. in the future of course, just use separate tracks for each audio track you plan to end up with, and work with all the drum tracks in the piano roll view (it should allow you to see multiple tracks at once). takes a bit of getting used to (putting snare hits in the percussion track, etc.) but much easier to work with later on.

i've never used session drummer but i assume that you can route all the midi tracks to a single bus where session drummer would reside.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Gareth
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/03 04:54:30 (permalink)
    Thanks again Frank and Jack.

Today will be spent travelling, doing a gig, and travelling home so I'll get down to the nitty gritty tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Have a nice Sunday!
    Gareth

gullfo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/03 08:40:27 (permalink)
    ftp://ftp.cakewalk.com/pub/CAL/

you can download the scripts from there. assuming HS can run CAL scripts...

Glenn 
    www.runnel.com

altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/03 21:05:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Gareth
    From what I understand of SD 2 it's possible to isolate each component of the kit and tweak them individually. I guess this isn't possible with the original SD.

With SD2 I believe you can also send individual pads to 1 of 4 separate stereo outputs removing the need to create separate midi tracks.

Gareth
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/04 07:02:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Ive gone thro Fep's procedure and it works perfectly. Excellent!

Fep, am I right in assuming that I now convert the snare and kick midi tracks to audio and do the tweaking, then bounce them into a final audio drum track? Or keep them as separate tracks for mixing?
    Thanks again for your time, Gareth

scook
    Forum Host
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/04 09:22:17 (permalink)

Fep, am I right in assuming that I now convert the snare and kick midi tracks to audio and do the tweaking, then bounce them into a final audio drum track? Or keep them as separate tracks for mixing?
    Thanks again for your time, Gareth

There is no need to bounce to audio unless you want to conserve CPU.

Keep the tracks separate, if you want to control the drums as a unit use a bus as a drum submix.

BTW altima_boy_2001, SD2 has eight separate stereo audio outs not four.
    fep
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/04 10:24:07 (permalink)
    Gareth, that makes me happy that this worked for you. After benefiting so much from all the knowledge passed along in this forum it feels good to be able to give something back.

Note everyone: Gareth and I have 'SD', not 'SD2'. We can only send the SD to one track which is why we have to do this cut and paste procedure to seperate the parts.

I agree with scook, after I've seperated the tracks I leave them seperate. I haven't run into CPU problems.

My procedure is to copy/write/build the drum part in one track as it's easiest for me to work that way. And then when I feel like the drum track is completed I split out the kick and snare drum to seperate tracks for mixing purposes.

Gareth
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/05 04:48:55 (permalink)
    CPU space is an issue so I guess I'll do a conversion to audio then keep the kick and snare as separate tracks for the mixing stage.

Frank, thanks once again for giving me this very useful leg up in the learning curve!

Gareth

Studio1000
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/05 08:40:01 (permalink)
    Hey fep,

Just wondering after you seperate the tracks, what you have found to be most beneficial in making the session drummer's track sound more life like? Reverb, Delay ??? Cloning? Panning?

I always find I have to at least EQ the drum track when i build a SD track.
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/05 09:05:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: scook
    Keep the tracks separate, if you want to control the drums as a unit use a bus as a drum submix.

That's what I do. Keep the kick, snare, hihat, each tom, etc on a separate audio track, and send them all to a master drum bus. Then route that bus to the master. This way, you can adjust each sound as you need, and as a whole with the master drum.

Generally you'll want to add reverb, EQ, compress, etc, but it's hard to say what will work for you. That depends on the sounds you're working with, and what you want the end result to sound like. I found that The Art Of Mixing, by David Gibson, had a lot of tips for drums.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    fep
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/05 10:02:27 (permalink)
    Studio1000,

I'm so new at this that I won't advice on eq, reverb etc. Seperate tracks are sure handy though for setting volumes for individual kit parts and selecting different sounding snares and or kick drums. I've also cloned the high-hat and then transposed the cloned track to a shaker to thicken the high hat up a bit. Another idea is after doubling is to accent the shaker (manually change the velocities on the accents) to say a clave rhythm.
    Gareth
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/06 11:46:37 (permalink)
    re. Panning drums

In 'Guerilla Home Recording' the author suggests that you imagine that you are standing in front of a standard drum kit and pan the drums accordingly ie. the kick and snare dead centre, hi-hat quite a bit to the right, crash cymbals half right the other half left and toms ranging from extreme left to extreme right.
    But its just occured to me that maybe SD has already configured them this way?

Gareth

scook
    Forum Host
    RE: Beefing up session drummer 2006/12/06 11:51:05 (permalink)

re. Panning drums

In 'Guerilla Home Recording' the author suggests that you imagine that you are standing in front of a standard drum kit and pan the drums accordingly ie. the kick and snare dead centre, hi-hat quite a bit to the right, crash cymbals half right the other half left and toms ranging from extreme left to extreme right.
    But its just occured to me that maybe SD has already configured them this way?

Gareth

It would depend on the sounds that you are driving with the MIDI info. Stereo drum samples and soundfonts might be panned correctly. Trust your ears, does it sound OK?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1