Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed!

Author
lwb
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2006/12/01 11:18:10 (permalink)

Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed!

Hi guys!

Appreciate it if you guys can give me some feedback on this song Angel.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~acichope/thanestandrew.com/Angel_www.thanestandrew.com.mp3

I'm interested more from a song structure point of view. Does the chorus work for you guys? Does the song seem to have dynamic movement? Is the structure an effective vehicle to convey the emotion of the lyrics.

Any suggestions, feedback and input will be greatly appreciated.

Point me to your song and I will give you my 2 cents worth of critical feedback.

thanks
ari

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~acichope/thanestandrew.com/Angel_www.thanestandrew.com.mp3

16 Replies Related Threads

opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/01 11:35:34 (permalink)
    Hey lwb,
    structure and dynamics wise yes this is working but i think there is some fine tuning to do on the vocal melody. (i know you were'nt asking about this but please hear me out)
    I like the way the vocal builds through the chorus but it seems to lose momentum on the last line, it just doesn't seems to conclude right, musically.
    There were other times where this happened and it was always the last line.
    This is where i think you should concentrate your efforts and i think it would really pay off.
    Good luck with this.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    lwb
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/01 11:48:02 (permalink)
    Hey Opaque!

thanks for the review... hmmm I think I know what you mean. Will get it together with the vocalist and see what we can come up with. The idea was to give it that haunting/plaintive kinda quality at the end of the chorus but it might not be coming across.

cant wait to hear your post-sonar and still NASTY tracks! like the musicianship on what I heard... keep it up!

lwb
    post edited by lwb - 2006/12/01 22:39:16
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/01 12:09:04 (permalink)
    The structure works for me. The verse has a dreamy quality, I like the chord change at the chorus, I like the modulation later in the song.

I'm hearing an add 2nd in that second (no 3rd) chord (kind of adds to the dreamy quality). Here's the one I'm thinking of:

String/Fret

1st/4th
    2/4
    3/6
    4/6
    5/4
    post edited by fep - 2006/12/01 12:27:49
    sandman5000
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 882
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/01 12:23:19 (permalink)
    I loved the soft guitars to start. When the vocal came in it sounded too dry, but great vocalist. I liked the song a lot. It has the cool soul vibe to it. The only thing is I think the vocals are too dry.
    lwb
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/01 12:58:47 (permalink)
    Thanks you guys for the feedback. Useful!

Thane (www.thanestandrew.com) is a talented, up and coming singer-songwriter in the Toronto area.

Thats a good ole Dbsus2 chord! Good ear on that one. The vocals might have been left too dry as well... going for that intimate, "he's-right-here-with-you" sound.

keep it coming! we will post the final version when its done.
    lwb

post edited by lwb - 2006/12/01 22:39:59
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/01 13:53:03 (permalink)
    Hi,

I thought the dry vocal worked well for the song, nice and intimate. I didn't hear the problem with the chorus, sounded fine to me.

Good song, well thought through, interesting production.

James

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/01 14:27:48 (permalink)
    HI, Lwb--This is sounding great. Hmm, I see the debate about if the vocal should be this dry. The intimate sound you said you were aiming for worked for me. My preference is for less reverb in general, so can't go wrong with me in that department.

I'm listening a second time as I type---The instrumental break is a bit of an energy let down. Maybe if the piano was louder, because I like what it was doing. Or a delay on it maybe?

Here's the one thing that I got both times through listening---There are places throughout the whole song when I feel the melody line notes need to be included in the guitar chords, in the backing. Sometimes there are simpler chords being played than are being sung, and it sounds like things clash a bit because of that. It's usually good to include notes in a chord which aren't usually there when the melody line includes them, even if they're "passing tones"--notes momentarily held.

Just now--I typed out a few of the lyrics as I listened:

nightmares--drowning---days seem like nights

(and during the break)--seen my angel----(something else)

--there are more. Those are moments I'm talking about when the vocal line doesn't seem supported enough.

This is sounding very engaging though. Nice.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    lwb
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/01 21:32:05 (permalink)
    Thanks James and rbowser,

Thats definitely some stuff to think about. The singer (Thane) does tend to have a very nuanced vocal delivery and we will have to go through it pretty carefully and make sure the chords reflected the vocal accurately. Though sometimes its hard to do that while retaining a stark harmonic structure which is effective in this sort of ballad....

The problem now being that I have heard it so often it all sounds right to me!

Could perhaps use a little more instrumentation and maybe a more controlled and consistent direction throughout the song. Thanks for pointing that out and we will try and work through it.

You guys are a terrific sounding board.

Thanks again!

lwb
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/01 21:58:43 (permalink)
    Wow, Ari - I really enjoyed this song. It was a wonderful, very modern ballad, and Thane did remind me to one of those shooting star singers who emerged from the scene a few years ago - I just can't think of his name though ... Rob Thomas, maybe?
    Anyways, I am impressed of the in-depth discussion about your song's structure and music theory in general; fep and Randy really seem to know their craft (motion of taking hat off and bow). So, sorry I'm of no use other than giving you a compliment to a wonderful song and a great singer!
    Thanks for sharing
    Heinz.

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/02 02:36:16 (permalink)
    Hello again, Lwb

"...The problem now being that I have heard it so often it all sounds right to me!..."

And we're here to validate that what you're hearing really Does sound "right."

Music emanates from a very personal place. It's possible to create music which nobody else can actually relate to, but if we kept coming up with pieces like that, we probably wouldn't continue writing music because the lack of feedback and an audience would be discouraging. Obviously, we want to come up with music that nourishes ourselves as well as our listeners.

So we put out aural records of our music with hopes that we've done it in such a way that an audience, however small that audience may be, will find and relate to what we're doing.

One thing we do to help get our musical messages across, is to pay some respect to established musical methods, so our listeners have a understandable context in which to hear our messages. The musician who breaks the most rules has the most difficult time in communicating with his potential audience, because he has to prove that what he's doing is worth breaking the rules for. If he doesn't establish that his unique method is effective, then his work will be consigned to the "experimental" heap--not necessarily a bad heap to be placed in, but not the niche many people really don't want to be in, when they're hoping to reach as broad an audience as possible.

Now, getting around to your specific project--I'm thinking that it's not the vocalist's unique (and wonderful, I should add) technique that needs to be changed in order to make your recording more effective--it's the musical arrangement that should be augmented. I think you already understood my earlier post, but I'm carefully going through my thoughts again to make myself as clear as possible.

What I would like to hear is the guitar chords incorporating the notes established by the singer as the melody of the song. A "G" chord becomes a more complex "G + 5 augmented +diminished +9th"--WHatever--it doesn't matter what the chord is named. The chords should just be analyzed to the point where it's established where melody notes are missing, and unsupported by the accompaniment, so adjustments can be made.---Often the melody line can be suggested by a spare accompaniment---other times it's a matter of an arrangement being under developed as compared to the melody line. There's no science involved in figuring out the difference between those two points.

I suggest you just go through the song and feel out where a more complex chord would better support what the singer is doing. Meantime, I don't think the singer and his melody line should be changed at all--That's the essence of the piece, and what you want to support as best as possible with the recording.

I really like what you're doing. --Looking back over this long-winded reply, I realize that's why I've typed so much!

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/02 02:52:40 (permalink)
    Ari,

I like the structure of the song, the background vocals are great, they really accent the piece. I like that the vocalist loosens up in a few places and really communicates. One thing that occurs to me is that some of the instrumentation is played in a straight mechanical kind of way (possibly more suited to a happy pop song) - the vocals and lyrics drip emotion, but the drums and guitar are pretty laid back and maybe even a little stiff, they don't seem to express the same sense of longing. The piano and organ seem more in sync with the vocalist feeling-wise. (actually the drums pick up the vibe around 2:20, longer cymbal tails, more feeling) Great piece, good luck with it.

Bill
    chasekh
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 874
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/02 04:23:37 (permalink)
    Hi ari,I heard the song.Overall it sounded nice to my ears.There were some abrupt chord changes.The bass was sounding good.Very expressive singing with parts.I have no enough knowledge to say anything about the lyrics.
    R.Chandrasekhar

Q9450,DX38BT mobo,17"&15"lcd sony,8gb ram 1333MHz,(512Mb),828 mk ii audio,Win 7(64) home premium.SONAR 8.5.3 Producer
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/02 08:33:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lwb

Thats a good ole Dbsus2 chord! Good ear on that one.

lwb

I think I worded my comment poorly. When I said "I'm hearing", I meant I could hear that using a Dbsus2 chord instead would work well there.

I was suggesting you try replacing the Db major with the 'dreamy' Dbsus2 chord to see what you thought. I'm definately hearing the third included in that chord (I'm actually hearing two thirds in that voicing) of your song, so I'm hearing Db major. Unless my ears are failing me.
    lwb
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/02 10:58:24 (permalink)
    I definitely agree with rbowser's well thought out and effectively articulated comments.

In my opinion, as a producer, a careful balance needs to be struck between showcasing an artist's unique sensibilites and vision and providing the audience with something fresh yet accessible.

In the light of our valuable discussion here,

-I am excited to rework some of the changes with Thane, at the very least for our live showcases, where its just vocal and guitar.
    (rbowser,fep)
    fep. The chord Dbsus2 (Db add 9) chord is there. The guitar player touches on it in the intro and during the verse. Perhaps it could stand to be brought out a little more

-I bemoan the fact that in these years of computer/multitrack recording, sometimes precious feel is lost by having each instrument record by itself... its really difficult to capture a shared vibe that this sort of a song (or any song) demands.
    (ToneCarver)

- I resolve to hang out more here!

thanks!
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/02 15:25:05 (permalink)
    Not much I can add to the very articulate replies you've received already. However: I like the way the song builds, and I like the harmonies. Everything else has been covered.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Studio1000
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: Rock-ballad: comments on song structure needed! 2006/12/04 13:08:28 (permalink)
    Background vocals were great, the only thing I heard was maybe the ending was too abrupt. I liked the Hammond B3 sound also.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1