My First Rapturious Experience With Sonar 6

Author
Snouter
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 105
2006/12/03 20:13:48 (permalink)

My First Rapturious Experience With Sonar 6

I had used Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3 for a long while, and just recently upgraded to Sonar 6 along with the amazing synth software Rapture. I am just starting to learn MIDI so I don't know how ridiculous this thread is but here goes.

I figured since this board is relatively quiet I would just post my experience this afternoon messing around with Sonar 6 and Rapture. Any advice would be appreciated.

I got an Axiom 49 midi keyboard. The install was kind of weird in that at one point it was looking for Dazzle software which is some crappy video software I had thought I completely deleted off my PC a year ago. But either way, when I plug in the USB and the MIDI cables the Axiom works when Sonar is loaded up and Soft Synths are inserted. The TTS-1 synth that has piano and other sounds seems extraordinarily quiet though. Even when I crank up the input volume on the screen, it is still not really usable because it is so quiet. Rapture on the other hand, I have to reduce the input volume because the sound is so huge which is great. I am not sure how to work the MIDI keyboard other than playing the keys themselves. I tried moving a slider (D9, 1) and it changed the sound slightly, I slide it back and the sound totally disappeared altogether. Are all those sliders and knobs really necessary?

So anyhow, this is what I did just for the record in that it may help someone and that you guys can point out where improvements can be made in the steps taken.

1. Turned on MIDI keyboard that was connected via MIDI and USB
2. Started Sonar
3. Selected Jazz Trio template
4. In Drum track inserted Soft Synth Session Drummer, picked a beat, dragged it into the track then copied and pasted the MIDI info to total 2 minutes or so.
5. In Piano track inserted Soft Synth Rapture then played a simple E-D-A Sympathy For The Devil kind of progression. I think the Rapture sounds are amazing and used Rapture's RGC Instant Electronic 2 preset after trying out about 4 or 5. Again they all sound cool, but just picked this one to get the project going.
6. In Bass track I picked a Rapture bass and recorded 4 measures of E-D-A-E, fined tuned it in piano roll, then cut and pasted for most of the duration of the song.
7. Since my guitar is tuned Eb, I transposed the MIDI stuff down a half step.
8. Inserted an audio track for guitar and improvised over the Rapture and SessionDrummer2 stuff.
9. Mixing consisted of adjusting output levels only, no time for panning tracks, effects on individual or multiple tracks or other adjustments.
10. Highlighted all the measures of the song, then all the individual tracks including the MIDI info track and the related MIDI output track.
11. Exported to an mp3.

In case anyone wants to hear the little jam session, this is it:

http://www.compobeachbum.com/music/song1.mp3

Edit: I played it back and the bass was a little off sounding, so I went back to Sonar and saw that I had lowered the bass track a half step in addition to transposing the track down a half step previously so I undid that extra half step and re-exported the mp3.
post edited by Snouter - 2006/12/03 20:57:28

7 Replies Related Threads

three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: My First Rapturious Experience With Sonar 6 2006/12/03 22:14:01 (permalink)
    In Rapture, find a knob you want to tweek, right click and select midi learn, move a knob or slider on the axiom then look at the Rapture GUI you should knob move. You can now safely tweek that parameter til' the cows come home.

then cut and pasted for most of the duration of the song.

Right clip on the clip and select groove looping, grab the edge of clip w/your cursor and drag the clip to the right. Once again, this can be done until the cows come home.

Nice Jam. Be sure to download the expansion packs for Rapture if you have not yet done so.

have a good one
    3Eo
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: My First Rapturious Experience With Sonar 6 2006/12/03 22:50:07 (permalink)
    Nice jam...that was a fun listen.

You may find that Groove clips in SONAR may prove really useful paired with Rapture. I've been reading up on Rapture on this forum since its inception but have only recently acquired it with the special with SONAR 6 just as you had. Looking forward to some real fun with this new software.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: My First Rapturious Experience With Sonar 6 2006/12/04 08:14:28 (permalink)
    Are all those sliders and knobs really necessary?

"... Elizabeth! I'm comin' ..."

Well, uh, ... [gulp!], er ... no, Snouter. Those sliders and knobs aren't really necessary, but leaving them untouched will rob you of a lot of potential. They help you to mold an instrument to your own playing style, and give you a window into expressive variations with a synth. MIDI Learn (details above) is the easy way in, but there's something to watch out for there.

Certain functions (Volume, Expression, Sustain, Sostenuto, Global Amplitude Attack/Release) are already "hard-wired" beneath the surface to specific numbers (CC#7, 11, 64, 66, and 73/72; respectively). You might as well add pitchbend and mod wheel (CC 1) to that list, although many of these can be overridden. You may have already experienced one of these by moving 'D1,9' on your Axiom.
    Since my guitar is tuned Eb, I transposed the MIDI stuff down a half step.
    SRV fan, huh? I'll have to revisit your .mp3 when I'm not supposed to be working.
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: My First Rapturious Experience With Sonar 6 2006/12/04 17:18:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

Are all those sliders and knobs really necessary?

"... Elizabeth! I'm comin' ..."

Ha ha ha.
    Snouter
    RE: My First Rapturious Experience With Sonar 6 2007/01/04 21:43:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies! I realize now the keyboard knobs can be useful.

Here is a version of Zeppelin's Immigrant Song if anyone wants to check it out. This is Rapture, Session Drummer 2, two guitar tracks, using Sonar.

http://www.compobeachbum.com/music/immigrantsong.mp3

Just a followup question. I was so amazed with the power of Sonar and the amazing sounds of Rapture I went ahead and got Project 5 and Dimension Pro (DP). I installed DP first then P5 along with its older version of Dimension. Realizing that DP superceds Dimension, I unistalled Dimension. Does the DP contain all the latest files at this point in my install? In other words, did installing the "older" Dimension after the DP install have any impact on the newer DP files? Now how do I tell P5 to look for DP instead of Dimension.

Thanks!
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: My First Rapturious Experience With Sonar 6 2007/01/04 21:50:11 (permalink)
    Dimension Pro is a superset of Dimension in terms of features and wave samples. I'm not sure if uninstalling Dimension after installing Dimension Pro causes any issues.

As far as Dimension Pro being available in Project5 it should automatically show up after it is installed. All DXi software instruments should show up automatically.
    Snouter
    RE: My First Rapturious Experience With Sonar 6 2007/01/04 22:03:47 (permalink)
    I will check P5 again and see if DP shows up. Worst case scenario I will just reinstall DP.

Edit: I reinstalled DP and now DP is showing up in the "instrument" section of P5 as expected.

This soft synth MIDI technology stuff combined with the outrageously cool sounds provided by DP and Rapture using the P5 platform and Sonar 6 is truly an amazing thing.
    post edited by Snouter - 2007/01/04 23:24:21
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1