total noob question

Author
mintakaX
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
2006/12/04 01:29:17 (permalink)

total noob question

I've struggled for a couple hours with something so basic, but I just cant figure out how to do it. I"ve read all the help files, but I'm just not seeing it. I have some groove clips that I've brought into P5 to eventually play from the Groove Matrix. The clips are not at the volumes that I want . How can I adjust the volume level of a clip after its in a matrix cell ?

Thanks,
Dan

10 Replies Related Threads

bulls hit
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 822
    RE: total noob question 2006/12/04 03:47:39 (permalink)
    To the left of the matrix you'll see the track pane. You might have it hidden - grab the dotted handle and drag to the right to reveal it. Each track has horizontal controls for volume and pan. Just left click in the appropriate area and drag right or left to increase or decrease volume. That will set the volume for all grooves in that track. If you want different volumes in grooves on the same track, you can either try to create an envelope in each groove (good luck) or just move those grooves to a new track.

Trying to use the P5 volume automation implementationis like trying to scratch your back with your big toe. Hopefully the upgrade due in a few months will fix that
    syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: total noob question 2006/12/04 04:32:54 (permalink)
    if you have the clip as the active clip (black border round the edge , if not double click it) and look at the editor view. You will see the tool icons (one with a pencil), click on that also ensure that the box next to this has Output- Volume selected. You can then draw any volume automation directly on the clip, if you hold shift you will get a straight line. You can do similar on the arrange page also , but since you are in the groove matrix I will leave that for now. This will allow you to set the level of audio independently of the track pane so that you can apply volume in all clips individually.
    mintakaX
    RE: total noob question 2006/12/04 09:00:00 (permalink)
    Thanks ! Actually I was aware of the track volumes and the envelope capabilities. Here is what is (was) confusing me. I'm taking clips from tracks and then dropping them in the Groove Matrix (GM), not necessarly in a row that corresponds to the original track position. I'm then deleting all of the tracks in the arrange pane (like in the GM tutorial). It wasnt clear to me what the "base" volume of each clip was at this point. Is it the volume of the original clip before it was imported ? I think that at this point the track volume is controlling the volume of the combination of all "playing" clips of the corresponding row of the GM ? If my understanding is correct then the only way to adjust the base volume of a clip is with the volume envelope in the editor ?
    Did any of this make sense ? Too many hours with Sonar,P5, virus z3ta+ and Battery 3 has left me sleep deprived

Thanks,
    Dan
    syrath
    RE: total noob question 2006/12/04 09:28:01 (permalink)
    If you move a clip from the arrange page onto the groove matrix, then the volume of the clip would be the oriignal volume of the clip. In the arrange page and in the groove matrix this is the same volume regardless.

This is then adjusted by any volume changes you have drawn into the clip in the editor, which would override the volume adjustment in the track pane. So if the track pane is -6 db then it would adjust the clip by -6db, if there was volume automation in the clip then that would change the track pane volume to whatever the automation in the clip says. (so if you had a straight line of automation on volume that was set at -12 db and the track pane showed -6 db, then it would drop to -12 db according to the automation in the clip.)

I do hope that was clear.
    mintakaX
    RE: total noob question 2006/12/04 11:24:35 (permalink)
    Thanks Stuart-- Yes, perfectly clear ! I was hoping that there might be a differnt way to adjust the volume of a clip in the groove matrix other than the envelope method in the editor. I made the clips in Sonar (bounce to tracks) at their maximum levels thinking I could "mix" them in P5 before I stuck them in the GM. I guess that I still can, but I would have to do it using volume envelopes. This still might be easier than re-doing them in Sonar.
    Thanks for the help !

Dan
    post edited by mintakaX - 2006/12/04 11:42:28
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: total noob question 2006/12/04 11:26:53 (permalink)
    It also helps when the "original" has a good volume level as well, before bringing it to P5.
    A.K.A. Normalised.

HTH.

Cheers,

NaughT.

mintakaX
    RE: total noob question 2006/12/04 11:58:46 (permalink)
    Yes naught.... I'm learning slowly but surely. Actually I had an epiphany and realized that if I bring the clips into tracks in P5 and mix them using the track volume controls, then I can put each track into the corresponding row of column 1 of the GM, clear out the arrange pane, then record from the GM. The resulting tracks will be the clips at the volume I want. I can then put these back into the GM where I want. Last night was my first experience with the GM and I guess a little struggling is a decent way to learn something.

Thanks,
    Dan
    syrath
    RE: total noob question 2006/12/04 12:06:15 (permalink)
    If the samples are 24 bit it isnt so important to have the clips at maximum level. In fact its a good idea not to have. The reason it was good to have a maximum signal audio file was because of the noise floor in 16 bit files, with an additional 44dB of headroom in 24 bit files it isnt so important now (to be as close to 0dB FS).

naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: total noob question 2006/12/04 12:09:47 (permalink)
    Yes that's true Syrath.

Call me old fashioned

bulls hit
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 822
    RE: total noob question 2006/12/04 19:03:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: syrath

You will see the tool icons (one with a pencil), click on that also ensure that the box next to this has Output- Volume selected. You can then draw any volume automation directly on the clip, if you hold shift you will get a straight line.

Ha yeah that stupid pencil. God I hope they get rid of that in 2.5 and put in proper envelopes. Not only is it uber clumsy, but using it to draw automation causes about 50 milliseconds off the clip to be chopped off when a new groove is triggered
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1