A Quinn-Martin production

Author
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
2006/12/04 22:37:17 (permalink)

A Quinn-Martin production

NOT!

An instrumental hymn arrangement. I might add vocals later. Give me as much feedback as you desire on this! I can take it! (I hope!).

This is a concatenation of two hymns, "Breathe on Me" and "Trust and Obey" - very similar tunes.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=599453&songID=4740330
post edited by Beagle - 2006/12/05 22:07:09

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.

15 Replies Related Threads

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/04 23:34:27 (permalink)
    Funny lead in with that thread title. Interesting piece. Of the several of yours I've heard this is the most "gospel" sounding. I like the almost medieval sounding trumpet line. And the track that sounds like a recorder to me fits that same Middle Ages image.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/05 00:35:46 (permalink)
    Beagle,

Yes .. funny (humorous) thread title. I like the instrument palette, good complementary sounds. The trumpet is quite expressive. I like how in the second half the flute takes a more lead role and the trumpet lays back a bit. I might suggest a bit of reverb or very subtle delay (or both!) to bring some ambience and space to the piece. Perhaps a very light chorus, vibrato, or tremolo to the piano too for some variablity in the sound. Great project, would sound even better with vocals.

Bill
    chasekh
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 874
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/05 01:26:05 (permalink)
    Hi Beagle,Very sweet music.The tones used are sounding beautiful.But I miss the organ!
    R.Chandrasekhar

Q9450,DX38BT mobo,17"&15"lcd sony,8gb ram 1333MHz,(512Mb),828 mk ii audio,Win 7(64) home premium.SONAR 8.5.3 Producer
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/05 04:47:37 (permalink)
    Hey Beagle,

Lovely tune, nicely done. I agree with Chasekh, organ would be great on this, The electric piano sound is pleasent but a little stiff.

A couple of 'sticky' timing bits jumped out at me, one was at 0:34, the trumpet seems just very slightly behind the piano in places.

BTW -- Didn't understand the thread title......

Overall - well done that man!

James

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Beagle
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/05 08:39:34 (permalink)
    Mark - thanks for the comments. The "recorder" you hear is actually a solo flute. 24 bit recorded sample. thanks for the listen and the feedback!

Bill Thanks for the comments. There's actually reverb on all three pieces individually. Myself, I think that the piano probably needs more, but the trumpet has a lot on it already and the way the samples were recorded, I don't have very much control over the reverb on it. I can change the wet/dry mix but that's all. The flute has a Lexicon verb on it, but I could adjust it to add some more if you think it's too dry. Thanks again for the feedback!

chase As always, I appreciate your comments and the time you spend to listen! I was hoping to modernize the piece a little by not using an organ this time. If it seems too stiff due to lack of organ (as james suggests), then I'll look into trying to loosen it up a little, but this time I kind of wanted to be without organ. Maybe it won't work, tho, I'll let you guys decide later.

James Thanks for the comments! Quinn-Martin was a hollywood producer years ago - big production. Lots of the older TV shows would have "A Quinn-Martin Production" announced at the beginning of the show. It's only funny to us geezers who are old enough to remember that far back!!!

I'll lookinto the timing thanks for the comments! I truly appreciate it!

Beagle
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/05 11:27:25 (permalink)
    Ok, I've made a few changes. I've left the old version up and here's the link to the new one;

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=599453&songID=4741857

should be smoother, and with more reverb in some areas per comments above.

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/05 12:00:45 (permalink)
    Hi, Beagle--I've listened to both versions, and the second one sounded more satisfying to me. You added a pad under the electric piano in the second one I think? Not to drive you crazy, but reverb levels sound too wet for me in the second one, while I guess the first one was a bit dry--I think I'd prefer a compromise between the two.

Speaking of reverb, you said:

"...I don't have very much control over the reverb on it. I can change the wet/dry mix but that's all..."

I don't understand what you mean, since changing the wet/dry mix is what one always does to change reverb levels.--?

At first I was concerned with how the trumpet stays so constantly in the upper octaves, like a piccolo trumpet. But my ears adjusted to it--The trumpet is sounding better in the new mix.

I understand what James is talking about, concerning timing issues. The trumpet is still out of synch in that same area, around 0:30. With the sparse arrangement of keyboard, flute and trumpet, the timing becomes even more critical, and right now, the flute and trumpet are sounding like solos which aren't working in concert with each other. They tend to enter at different points and are often ending at different times. This latter thing would be a very good thing to edit--if they would end their phrases together, it would have a much more polished sound.

When I was listening to the first version, I felt I would have preferred a natural acoustic piano, but I like what you've done with your electric piano sound in the second mix.

One more thing that occurs to me--With the piano so gentle and staying away from the bass notes, and the two lead instruments also staying in the higher registers, I think I'd want to experiment with adding a low register instrument to help anchor the piece--Perhaps a good cello.

Thanks for the post. These simple old hymns present interesting recording challenges!

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Beagle
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/05 14:49:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, randy.
    ORIGINAL: rbowser

Hi, Beagle--I've listened to both versions, and the second one sounded more satisfying to me. You added a pad under the electric piano in the second one I think? Not to drive you crazy, but reverb levels sound too wet for me in the second one, while I guess the first one was a bit dry--I think I'd prefer a compromise between the two.

Ok, I'll look into that.

Speaking of reverb, you said:

"...I don't have very much control over the reverb on it. I can change the wet/dry mix but that's all..."

I don't understand what you mean, since changing the wet/dry mix is what one always does to change reverb levels.--?

I mean that I don't have control over the reverb settings like the PREDELAY, ROOM SIZE, DECAY, DIFFUSION, DAMPING, SPREAD, ECHO, or any other parameters which one can tweak for reverb. All I can do on this one is change the wet/dry mix.

At first I was concerned with how the trumpet stays so constantly in the upper octaves, like a piccolo trumpet. But my ears adjusted to it--The trumpet is sounding better in the new mix.

I understand what James is talking about, concerning timing issues. The trumpet is still out of synch in that same area, around 0:30. With the sparse arrangement of keyboard, flute and trumpet, the timing becomes even more critical, and right now, the flute and trumpet are sounding like solos which aren't working in concert with each other. They tend to enter at different points and are often ending at different times. This latter thing would be a very good thing to edit--if they would end their phrases together, it would have a much more polished sound.

Ah, ok, I looked for timing problems where James mentioned, but I couldn't find anything wrong, but I wasn't looking at cut off, I was looking at start time. I'll look into that again.

When I was listening to the first version, I felt I would have preferred a natural acoustic piano, but I like what you've done with your electric piano sound in the second mix.

One more thing that occurs to me--With the piano so gentle and staying away from the bass notes, and the two lead instruments also staying in the higher registers, I think I'd want to experiment with adding a low register instrument to help anchor the piece--Perhaps a good cello.

Well, I DID have a Double Bass track with it, but when I got about 1/2 way thru the project, I didn't like the sound. The bass seemed to be too distracting from the feel of the song, so I took it out.

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/05 15:29:57 (permalink)
    Hello again, Beagle

Kay, I get ya on the limitations of that reverb situation. Why is that? You can't use the sound dry, and use whatever reverb you want inside Sonar--? Guess not.

Good, I think it'll be worthwhile to look at the cut off times for the two soloing instruments. But I didn't mean they were the only thing to look at. The trumpet is definitely behind at that 0:30 something spot, and other times. Looking in the Piano View at the start times for the flute and trumpet simultaneously will make it perfectly clear when they're not in synch, both at the start and end of notes.

You tried a Double Bass and didn't like it. Yes, I imagine that would've been too much. Those can be pretty dominating instruments. A cello, usually played an ocatve higher than the bass would be a better choice I think.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    mewsician2
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1078
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/05 15:49:34 (permalink)
    Listening to version 2 now... very nice.
    The reverb seems appropriate for this type of tune, I'm used to hearing these in a large venue with a lot of natural reverberation.
    Yep version 2 is more enjoyable to these ears.
    Well done.
    Regards,
    Beagle
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/05 17:00:50 (permalink)
    Thanks so much, Stephen, I appreciate the encouragement, especially from those who are seasoned musicians like yourself!

randy,
    here's a jpg of the PRV of that section. the marker at 17 shows where ~33:30 sec would be. This takes into account the part that I clipped off from the beginning of the project after export (where I have several empty measures at the beginning of the project). Using Audacity to verify by sound, this should be the same place as approximately 34 sec into the song on soundclick.

As you can see, the start times of the Flute (brown) and the Trumpet (magenta) are nearly exactly the same. When I check the properties of them, the difference between the two is only 2 ticks. That's actually closer than I like to have them. The difference is inaudible. I checked the rest of the notes in the two measures before and two measures after, just in case my calculations on the time is off. None of them are more than 10 ticks off from each other. I'm simply not finding any timing problems with start times between the flute and trumpet. I am not doubting your ears, I just simply can't find the problem.

There are times that I have deliberately offset the trumpet from the flute, but it's still on the beat, surely that can't be what you guys are having a problem with?! For example, at measure 18 (which is very close to where you're talking about), I deliberately extended the first note of the trumpet, made the 2nd note of the trumpet hit the beat at the same time as the THIRD note of the flute, making the trumpet sound like it's behind the flute in time. Could this possibly be what you mean? Why would that be wrong? This is a typical 'jazz' type trumpet solo phrase, I've heard this done in a lot of songs and even other genre besides jazz. I think it gives the solo a little flavor and dynamic expression and I'm not sure that it's considered "wrong" in music. Notice that the trumpet doesn't play note 6 of that measure and so it "catches back up" to the same timing as the flute in the next measure. See figure:

Surely this is not what you're talking about??

Drumz
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/05 19:23:04 (permalink)
    Beagle
    The second mix is better, it's more listener friendly in my opinion. I don't hear a timing problem. Their is a delay on the horn but it sounds intentional to me and actually fits this type of music. Sounds real good Beagle and will work well with a choir or congregation.

Sonar 8 PE, Windows 7 32 bit, Intel w/H55 chipset, Intel Core i5 3.2GHz,2x Seagate 500GB SATA,4GB DDR3/1333, Presonus FP10, Roland TD 20, Mapex Maple, Paistie, and a bunch of other noise making stuff.
    Beagle
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/05 19:43:10 (permalink)
    Thank you, Drumz! that's exactly what I was trying to convey! I appreciate the encouragement!

ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/05 22:53:15 (permalink)
    Beagle,

Yup, second mix is improved. I like the reverb too, although I am with Randy on this, it might be just a ~touch~ too wet. I agree with Drumz too, this would sound great with a choir.

Bill
    Beagle
    RE: A Quinn-Martin production 2006/12/06 09:01:19 (permalink)
    Thanks, Bill! If I do anything else to this I'll back off on the reverb some, but otherwise I may be done with it.

I appreciate your comments! They are always welcome! That includes everyone!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1