CD audio - a general question

Author
krizrox
Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4046
2006/12/11 10:30:37 (permalink)

CD audio - a general question

I admit to being a little confused by this. Let's say I have a mono WAV file and I burn it to a CD-R as CD audio (not a data CD). Am I to understand that my mono WAV file becomes stereo once it is burned to the CD-R (I assume this is a Red Book specification). Now let's say I want to rip that file back to my computer. It is ripped as a stereo WAV file right? Is getting it back to mono simply a matter of the ripping process or do you need to use something like... Sonar and bounce to a mono track? I guess my question is how do you maintain mono integrity?

How does this work Mr. Wizard?
post edited by krizrox - 2006/12/11 10:49:37

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com
www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.

12 Replies Related Threads

MandolinPicker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: CD audio - a general question 2006/12/11 10:41:40 (permalink)
    That is a VERY Good question. I can't wait to read a good response

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: CD audio - a general question 2006/12/11 12:33:33 (permalink)
    I've never recorded a track in mono, but here's my guess:

Your mono WAV (assuming it comes through both speakers) will burn to the CD as a stereo track, but with everything panned centre. So you'll get the same stuff through each side.
    Then, using a standard ripper setting, you'll take it off the CD as a stereo track, but with both L and R being identical.
    In which case you can split the stereo track after importing (in the Bounce Track options) to 2 mono, and delete one.
    I've never checked, but some rippers might allow you to pull the Audio track from the CD as a mono WAV.
    post edited by Slugbaby - 2006/12/11 12:51:36

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: CD audio - a general question 2006/12/11 13:34:33 (permalink)
    Yeah. I think it's a redbook spec Larry that it has to be a stereo track, so the burner will take the mono file and basically make a two track mono file out of it just by copying the mono file and placing one copy on each side of the stereo field. You should be able to just do as Slugbaby suggested, ripping the CD, and then taking eaither side of the stereo file, discarding the other, and have the same mono file you started with before burning to CD.

BTW, did you get any of our ise storm up there last week? Man it's been terrible here. Folks are just now getting back to work and there's still a few people without power. I heard so many tree branches cracking under the weight of all that ice one night that I thought we were having a thunderstorm.
    krizrox
    RE: CD audio - a general question 2006/12/11 17:12:21 (permalink)
    I appreciate your responses but everyone is thinking and guessing Does anyone know for sure? I'm sure you're probably right though. I was just hoping for a more confident response.

Yeah we got some snow. About a foot or so. Some of the burbs were without power for a while but I think that's all been resolved. I had heard the southern part of the state got hit the worst. Hope everything is back to abby normal before the holidays. In my home here, our bedroom is right above the garage. There was this big ugly ice formation coming down from the roof right in front of our bedroom window. I was afraid this huge ice formation was going to come crashing down on my car one day so I tried to whack it off with a broom handle from inside the bedroom. No luck. Too thick. Last night I heard this huge crash outside. Woke up the entire family. My daughter thought I fell out of bed :-). I looked outside and the ice globule had finally broken off and fell to the ground but on it's way down, it hit the rain gutter over the garage and bent the crap out of it. Now all the melting water is pouring down in the driveway. Could be worse. Could be raining

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: CD audio - a general question 2006/12/11 21:18:34 (permalink)
    If you want to know for sure, then test it using your own setup. Shouldn't take more than about 40 minutes or so. For me, I'd probably be more confident with those results than be reading it in a forum.

1. Take a mono audio file, burn it to CD as CDDA, rip it to a stereo file.
    2a. Use Sonar to export the stereo file as split mono (each should be identical, use phase inversion to do a null test)
    2b. use Sonar to export the stereo file into a mono format (which should sum L and R channels)
    3. Compare the new mono files to the original file using a null test

My guess is that one of these new mono files will have a higher level than the original (in particular the stereo summed results since you are a mixing a signal with an exact copy of itself).

Also, digital audio extraction (CD ripping) is not an exact process. You can never be absolutely sure that what you ripped is an exact copy of what was burned unless you have the original file used to create the CD to compare it to. The results of DAE can only be described using statistical confidence which is increased by reading, re-reading, re-reading, ... the same sector during extraction to verify that results match every time and the ability of the hardware/software to piece together data from overlapping reads. Although with today's knowledge and technology I'd say you can probably be 99.5% sure or more of the data being the same with most setups. You can google "digital audio extraction" and Principles of Digital Audio, by Pohlmann (2000) has some good info.

In terms of maintaining integrity, the only problems I can foresee are bad extraction or somehow altering audio level. Everything is staying in the digital realm and there should be no real sample-altering processing except extraction and the summing in step 2b above assuming correctly written software.
    krizrox
    RE: CD audio - a general question 2006/12/12 00:46:04 (permalink)
    I don't know - more guessing. The responses aren't convincing me but maybe I'm just being unreasonable. I guess I ass-u-med that all this was common knowledge and I was the only one in the dark. Now I'm thinking there might be a lot of misconception about this.

I'll tell ya why I brought this up. I had posted something about this in the Sonar forum but no one responded. I had a client come in with a CD audio disc that had individual tracks of audio for a project he had recorded at home on a Zoom portastudio (not sure which model). I'm not sure this guy really understood what he was doing when he made this CD but instead of bringing me WAV files he brought me a CD audio disc. I had to rip the audio from the disc in order to import it into Sonar to do the mixing and mastering. He wanted me to pitch correct the one vocal track which I tried to do with V-Vocal (had to bounce it to a mono clip in order to do anything with it in V-Vocal). V-Vocal didn't seem to like this track for some odd reason. Harmonics and all sorts of craziness ensued. I didn't know what to make of it. There was nothing in the raw dry vocal track that seemed to account for this strangeness. It sounded fine all by itself. And yet V-Vocal hated it for some odd reason. So we recorded a new vocal track here in my studio to see if it was something else causing the problem. V-Vocal didn't have a problem with the mono track I recorded so my suspicion was something to do with his track which was ripped from the CD and bounced to mono. I thought maybe something was happening at a very low level in the ripping/conversion process. I'm still not sure what to make of this.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: CD audio - a general question 2006/12/12 08:19:04 (permalink)
    Larry,

I can give you a definitive answer regarding this, but it will have to be later on in the day or sometime tonight.

Fwiw..... I have auditioned the vocal plugin in Sonar 5 and thought it was very over-rated. Hopefully, it is better in S6. I would personally stick with Melodyne or something that will not induce phasiness or phase issues.
    krizrox
    RE: CD audio - a general question 2006/12/12 09:03:03 (permalink)
    Thanks Chaz. Generally speaking, V-Vocal has worked fine for me and my meager needs. I didn't notice any difference in the functionality or sound quality of the plug-in between versions so I don't know if Cake changed anything or not (probably not, but who knows). I know people have been reporting drop-outs and stuttering with V-Vocal but I've not seen any of that. This is the first time I've encountered any problems with it. I could understand if there was some noise in the background of the track but this baby was bone dry. I didn't notice any phasing noise in the track either. Strange. The only thing I could think of was this bouncing back and forth from mono to stereo to mono. My ripping tools don't give me the option of extracting a file in mono - if there is such an application I'd like to know about it although I can't imagine why it would matter - as the others have already suggested. I originally tried just bouncing to a mono track and then I tried bouncing to a split mono track and discarding one of the two identical tracks. It didn't make a difference in either case.

In any event, the client seemed willing to record vocals here as a work-around but that doesn't solve the mystery. I was just hoping to educate myself in some small way thinking this problem might rear it's ugly head again the future.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: CD audio - a general question 2006/12/12 09:52:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: krizrox

I admit to being a little confused by this. Let's say I have a mono WAV file and I burn it to a CD-R as CD audio (not a data CD). Am I to understand that my mono WAV file becomes stereo once it is burned to the CD-R (I assume this is a Red Book specification). Now let's say I want to rip that file back to my computer. It is ripped as a stereo WAV file right? Is getting it back to mono simply a matter of the ripping process or do you need to use something like... Sonar and bounce to a mono track? I guess my question is how do you maintain mono integrity?

How does this work Mr. Wizard?

Red Book standard CD audio specifies two channels PCM @44.1/16, so a properly recorded mono CD is actually "dual mono," with two identical channels. The L and R tracks are supposed to be identical.

If the CD was properly authored (and was truly a mono source to begin with), and your ripping software is doing its job correctly, you should be ripping two identical WAV files (I presume you're ripping to WAV?) as channels L and R. If you bounce them to mono in a program like Sonar, it should be essentially identical to taking either the L or R channel and simply adjusting the level to compensate for any pan law (minus any rounding errors, dither, or other minor artifacts from the render process).

Now, when you talk about "the ripping process," vs "bouncing to a mono track," the devil is always of course in the details. I don't know what the issue was with your client's tracks, but it shouldn't have been caused by the fact of of a properly recorded CD of monaural audio being sensibly ripped and/or rendered to mono, if that makes any sense.

Of course, if there are alignment issues, or if the two L and R channels were summed to a new mono level that caused clipping, or if the CD wasn't truly mono, or if the Zoom device uses some compressed file format that was then rendered to CD as PCM with artifacts from data compression, or if the ripping software mishandled a stereo PCM to mono WAV conversion, or if some other digital gremlin was working against you, then anything goes.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
    krizrox
    RE: CD audio - a general question 2006/12/12 10:58:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep

...or if the Zoom device uses some compressed file format that was then rendered to CD as PCM with artifacts from data compression...

Thanks yep - for some reason this remark caught my attention. Perhaps I need to take a first-hand look at this Zoom unit and see what this thing does and how it handles data storage and export. I found it difficult to believe that the only way to get the source files off this machine was to burn them on to an audio CD. But I've seen all sorts of strangeness in relation to portastudios so I didn't think to question it at first. I had no issue with the other tracks off the CD - it was just the one and only vocal track that gave me trouble with V-Vocal. I'm sure there is a workaround but I was just curious how this V-Vocal problem might be happening. If I find anything conclusive I will post it here. Might be helpful to others.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: CD audio - a general question 2006/12/12 11:44:24 (permalink)
    Yep is correct the Red Book spec does not support mono files at all. The data must be 44.1 / 16bit stereo (two channel)
    cemastering
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: CD audio - a general question 2006/12/12 11:52:05 (permalink)
    Hi Larry,

should be as simple as ripping the CD - (to stereo - (actually dual mono, as yep points out)) - then importing into Sonar as mono tracks - (i.e. imports the left and right data separately) - (there's a tick box for this in the import audio dialogue box). Once imported discard either the left or the right channel - (doesn't matter which) - leaving you with the original mono source.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1