real time guitar effects

Author
howie5
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2006/12/12 16:54:35 (permalink)

real time guitar effects

would really appreciate any help with recomendations of some good effects.
Free stuff is always good
thanx

13 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: real time guitar effects 2006/12/12 17:00:31 (permalink)
    Do a search for free plugins and you will find more than u need

CJ

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: real time guitar effects 2006/12/12 17:20:34 (permalink)
    GT Player is a lot of fun for rock distortion, my favorite of the digital guitar fx.

If you want the sound of a fender twin, get a fender twin and stick a mic front of it. Don't worry over "realistic" emulations, look for good and fun to play.

try the demos and pick an effect that does your favorite sound best, not the one that does hundreds of different sounds pretty good (How many rock stars use 100 different amps?)

Don't discount the possibility of stringing together your own fx chain from distortion, compressors, reverb, delays, eq, etc. The emulation woowoo-speak is a little overblown. Digital effects are not the same as tubes, but there's no reason that digital effects can't sound very good on any instrument, and there's no reason that "guitar" effects must be different from any other effects.

Cheers.
    StuH
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: real time guitar effects 2006/12/15 07:30:51 (permalink)
    Register at kvraudio.com and there are a whack of free plugins there. If you can afford it pick up the software only edition of Guitar Rig 2.2 from Native Instruments. I've heard Amplitube 2 is quite good too. If your on a limited budget DSOund GT Player is very good.

Great Freebies
    FreeAmp2 by FrettedSynthAudio
    Classic Series plugins from Kjaerhus Audio.
    GSUite by Simulanalog

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10 Home
    12.0 GB RAM
    Intel Core i7 - 4770 @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz 
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: real time guitar effects 2006/12/15 07:38:41 (permalink)
    Here is another thread that might give you some ideas
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=498839
    Kevin Kascak
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 839
    RE: real time guitar effects 2006/12/25 15:33:34 (permalink)
    Here is another place to look.

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

Win10 Pro x64 touchscreen, Intel i9-7900X 10-Core 3.3 GHz, Corsair AIO Cooler 280MM Radiator, ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe LGA 2066Mobo, G.SKILL TridentZ 64GB (4x16GB)DDR4 ,GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB  Vid Card, IntelOptane Mem Module 32 GB M.2 80mm with C:\ HDD WD HDD, Intel SSD 600p(1.0TB, M.2 2280 80mm NVMe) Samples drive,3 WD 7200 HDD(for audio, samples,backup) Antelope Orion32 MADI to RME MADI FX,Antelope Satori & R4S, Console1, UAD-2 OCTO, iLok 2, Novation 61SL MKII,Alphatrack
    beatrack
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: real time guitar effects 2006/12/26 20:22:54 (permalink)
    The cakewalk effects included with PE work great for any modulated or delay stuff you need.

My EMU 0404 USB came bundled with a free Amplitube plugin.

Amplitube is handy for clean as well because you can dial out the distortions and just use the simulated "cabinet" sound.

I just put some of the modulated/delay/eq Cakewalk plugs in front or behind the cab in the chain and voila...a great pedal setup.

Sonar also has a cab sim as well.

post edited by beatrack - 2006/12/26 21:21:07
    Mickster
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: real time guitar effects 2007/01/04 12:00:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep

GT Player is a lot of fun for rock distortion, my favorite of the digital guitar fx.

If you want the sound of a fender twin, get a fender twin and stick a mic front of it. Don't worry over "realistic" emulations, look for good and fun to play.

try the demos and pick an effect that does your favorite sound best, not the one that does hundreds of different sounds pretty good (How many rock stars use 100 different amps?)

Don't discount the possibility of stringing together your own fx chain from distortion, compressors, reverb, delays, eq, etc. The emulation woowoo-speak is a little overblown. Digital effects are not the same as tubes, but there's no reason that digital effects can't sound very good on any instrument, and there's no reason that "guitar" effects must be different from any other effects.

Cheers.

What a relief, I was beginning to think that there was something wrong with my ears!

I travel by car on business a lot and recently decided to carry a travel guitar and M-Audio's 'JamLab' audio interface to use with my laptop. A limited version of 'GT Player' was bundled with the interface and I was so impressed with the sound that I soon upgraded to the full version. Thinking that I was probably the last to discover this great product, I searched many forums to read the opinions of others and was very surprised to find so little mention of it.

Just last night, I installed my new 'Guitar Rig 2' and was also blown away by this incredible product.

For a hardware-only digital modeling, I use and highly recommend the Digitech GNX4 BUT ONLY with the 3rd party 'SuperModels' CD because the factory presets leave a lot to be desired.

These guys that want 'the Hendrix sound', etc., really crack me up. What do you think Jimi would be using today?
    After 30+ years of guitar playing, it's modeling only, for me from now on.

Cheers!

Mickster

LiquidDAW
    Home grown P4, 2.4GHZ, 2Gig
    EMU 1820M
    Digitech GNX4
    GigaStudio
    Reaktor
    Various guitars
    ZTAR (MIDI guitar)
    Junski
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1570
    RE: real time guitar effects 2007/01/08 05:13:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mickster

What a relief, I was beginning to think that there was something wrong with my ears!

I travel by car on business a lot and recently decided to carry a travel guitar and M-Audio's 'JamLab' audio interface to use with my laptop. A limited version of 'GT Player' was bundled with the interface and I was so impressed with the sound that I soon upgraded to the full version. Thinking that I was probably the last to discover this great product, I searched many forums to read the opinions of others and was very surprised to find so little mention of it.

Cheers!

Mickster

AFAIK, these DSound products are not cracked so maybe that's the reason why you can't find much comments regarding GT Player/Bass Player/RT Player ...

Junski

StuH
    RE: real time guitar effects 2007/01/08 07:12:04 (permalink)

A limited version of 'GT Player' was bundled with the interface and I was so impressed with the sound that I soon upgraded to the full version. Thinking that I was probably the last to discover this great product, I searched many forums to read the opinions of others and was very surprised to find so little mention of it.

Was chatting with Lubor the Dsound director dude. After NAMM in January, they will be releasing an updated version of GT Player (free for us `folks with full registered product). The release will have unrestricted support for 3rd party VST and will also include the new pedals they were hyping in the Music Messe Promotion. I believe 9 additional stomp effects. He also mentioned a complete revamp of the website.....and if I wasn't mistaken, a new company name aswell.
    post edited by StuH - 2007/01/08 07:34:23

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10 Home
    12.0 GB RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    yep
    RE: real time guitar effects 2007/01/08 11:03:26 (permalink)

...What a relief, I was beginning to think that there was something wrong with my ears!...

Yeah, people have a funny tendency to think that the famous $2000 plugin must be orders of magnitude better than the cheap, little-known one that comes with a "toy" interface, but it's not always true. I own a lot of effects in every price range, and have never found anything like a strictly linear price/performance ratio when it comes to plugins. There are free or cheap examples of every type that are excellent.

The one thing that can generally be said for the super-premium expensive plugins is that they tend to do a better job of being "all things to all people." So a super-expensive guitar processor might be expected to do a passable AC30, plexi, blackface twin, triple-rectifier, JCM 800, and so on, whereas a cheaper one might just have one or two killer sounds, or might have 30 "amp models" that all sound the same, or whatever. But as i said above, for guitar effects, most players really only need one or two mainstay sounds, so pick the one that does the best job at your favorite sound, not the one that does a bunch of sounds that you don't need anyway.

Cheers.
    StuH
    RE: real time guitar effects 2007/01/08 11:21:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep

......most players really only need one or two mainstay sounds, so pick the one that does the best job at your favorite sound, not the one that does a bunch of sounds that you don't need anyway.

Cheers.

That's very true but could you please explain the phycolology of needing every multi fx package created?
    Right now I have a Boss GT 8, Guitar rig 2.2, DSound Gt Player, Revalver, and Rock Amp Legends. Would love to get Amplitube and the Zoom 9.2tt. Out of all these my mainstays are GT Player (Alex minor preset) and Guitar Rig 2.2 (Dynamic Spring preset).

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10 Home
    12.0 GB RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    yep
    RE: real time guitar effects 2007/01/08 12:08:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: StuH

...could you please explain the phycolology of needing every multi fx package created?...

It's the same as hoarding old magazines-- what if you need one of those articles someday?

So you end up with shelf after shelf of stuff collecting digital dust, and that you can't find even if you do need it. So when you do need something that's buried in one of those long-forgotten plugins, you end up just getting a new one (or 5) anyway.

I'm in the process of recovery from this syndrome myself right now.

Cheers.
    Rev. Jem
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1723
    RE: real time guitar effects 2007/01/09 20:59:15 (permalink)
    StuH mentioned KVR - check out The Complete VST Amp Sim List! thread to start you off.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1