upgrade questions

Author
gnie
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 776
2006/12/16 15:09:15 (permalink)

upgrade questions

I originally got this PC to handle midi alone, strictly with outboard synths. My recording was done on a HD unit.
Once I started getting into soft synths, and Sonar's audio capabilities, I began to have some issues.
Mainly, I want my soft synths to play reliably, with good latency, and to have no sound card noise from them or audio. Figuring to add some RAM, I checked the computer's specs, and found it's limited to 1G.
Is there any way around this?
Do you think I should turn my attention to replacing the whole PC?

These are the numbers:

AMD Athlon(B) XP 3000+ 2.167 GHz
512 MB Maximum allowed 1 GB (2 x 512MB)
160GB Ultra DMA 7200 rpm
Motherboard: ASUS A7V8Z-LA
Chipset: Via KM400A
E-mu 1212m

8 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: upgrade questions 2006/12/16 15:14:16 (permalink)
    New PC's are cheap now. with your specs i would definitly buy a new pc

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: upgrade questions 2006/12/18 11:39:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gnie

I originally got this PC to handle midi alone, strictly with outboard synths. My recording was done on a HD unit.
    Once I started getting into soft synths, and Sonar's audio capabilities, I began to have some issues.
    Mainly, I want my soft synths to play reliably, with good latency, and to have no sound card noise from them or audio. Figuring to add some RAM, I checked the computer's specs, and found it's limited to 1G.
    Is there any way around this?
    Do you think I should turn my attention to replacing the whole PC?

These are the numbers:

AMD Athlon(B) XP 3000+ 2.167 GHz
    512 MB Maximum allowed 1 GB (2 x 512MB)
    160GB Ultra DMA 7200 rpm
    Motherboard: ASUS A7V8Z-LA
    Chipset: Via KM400A
    E-mu 1212m

I had an aBit MOBO with the Via chipset and had nothing but issues with it. I'm not sure if it'll be more cost effective to replace the entire machine or just the MOBO, but it might be worth looking into.

Did some quick checking... is your computer an HP?

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: upgrade questions 2006/12/18 13:56:34 (permalink)
    I would say that 1 gig is the max unless there has been a BIOS upgrade that lets you use more but that is a long shot, most computers are designed from the start to have a max RAM limit.

However, memory may not be the problem. 1 gig should be fine at least for one software synth, adding more won't make it any better it will just let you run more of them. The CPU power is the big thing with software synths and latnecy, and second is the sound card and it's driver.

Does the computer do OK with just one software synth going ? Can you get the latnecy tuned to an acceptable level that way ?

Also, the driver type can make a difference. If your sound card has both WDM and ASIO available try both to see what works best. With most cards the ASIO has better latency but that is not always the case. There is a difference in how you adjust the latency depending on what driver type you use. With WDM you use the slider in Sonar Options / Audio. With ASIO you have to use the control panel that comes with your sound card and set the latency (or buffers) that way. When testing the different types it's best to set the new type, close Sonar, and delete the aud.ini file. Then restart Sonar and it will profile the driver just like a new install of Sonar. That way you are sure there are no settings "suck" in the aud.ini file that would cause problems.

Your motherboard will also only take a 3200+ CPU max, so to get more power you are looking at a new computer.
    post edited by ohhey - 2006/12/18 14:17:41
    wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    RE: upgrade questions 2006/12/18 15:55:43 (permalink)
    Yup... that sucker's pretty much obsolete now. If it's not working for you, you're better off looking at a new setup than troubleshooting. Troubleshooting will will invariably lead to scrounging end of life parts from e-bay which may or may not work any better than what you've got.

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

gnie
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: upgrade questions 2006/12/19 21:04:05 (permalink)
    This all rings so painfully true.

I've heard of the VIA chipset issue, and seriously wonder about it. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I have constant problems.
    As far as latency, not too big a factor while recording. What I get is certain soft synths that won't perform adequately. Dimension and Proteus X are almost guaranteed problems. Once installed in a project, the sound card goes to hell. Noise, glitches. It's all I can do to find a voice, apply it to a track, and freeze. Dimension pianos will play fine for awhile while I'm just sitting at the keyboard, but then, especially after a break, there's sound breaking up, and even a crashing of the sound card.
    Cameleon is usually good to me, but once I try modulations, there's noise [this may be Cameleon]. Z3ta is generally pretty stable.
    Just today I attempted to record automation on Cameleon, by on-screen knob twisting, external controller, recording over the track, whatever...and Sonar 'has to close' at least four times.
    As far as drivers go, I use E-mu, so I'm pretty much stuck with ASIO.
    The computer is a Presario SR1030NX. I've learned elsewhere that I can probably get up to 2G RAM.
    Its obsolescence is distressing, since it's only 2 years old.

Thanks, everyone.

rthauter
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: upgrade questions 2006/12/31 23:53:08 (permalink)
    Hello Gnie!

I also have a computer with this identical motherboard. I made the mistake of ordering a 1GB ram stick to add to the 512 installed, not reading about it only supporting 1GB RAM total. There is still a chance, like you said that it may recognize and support the 1.5GB RAM anyways. After I receive the package from Newegg and install it, I will let you know if it works.

I also bought a Geforce 7800GS OC (and a power supply), the very best graphics card you can buy for this old system. It uses the dinosaur AGP Slot that these cheap PCs have. All of the new ones use PCI express slots for graphics cards.

The main idea was me trying to squeeze a little more life out of the dieing machine. I also used to compose MIDIs with my Compaq SR1030NX, but now I am really getting into PC Gaming. I'll be sure to keep in touch - the upgrades should come Jan 2nd-3rd 2007.

EDIT: In regards to your glitchy sound card problem, I never really had any trouble. The synthesizer seemed to work flawlessly as well. It kind of sounds like you just got a bad egg. Granted, I never went so far as to use pianos or other hardware to make music.
    post edited by rthauter - 2007/01/01 00:16:14
    rthauter
    RE: upgrade questions 2007/01/01 00:07:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

Your motherboard will also only take a 3200+ CPU max, so to get more power you are looking at a new computer.

I am looking to upgrade the processor of this computer! Could you please tell me:

1) Where you got this information
    2) If you are referring to a Sempron 3200+ or an Athlon 64 3200+

The factory installed CPU is a Sempron 3000+ @~2.0GHZ so if the first is true, it probably is not worth investing in.

Thanks!
    rthauter
    RE: upgrade questions 2007/01/04 22:28:37 (permalink)
    Gnie,

The RAM upgrade worked fine, despite the 1GB "Restriction." I have 1.5GB of RAM installed and it is working fine. Windows also detected it. The graphics card is very powerful, but also quite noise. I used RIVAtuner to quiet it down.

Good Luck.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1