PROBLEM!! How to loop WAV files for Dimension???

Author
persentio
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2006/12/19 05:19:14 (permalink)

PROBLEM!! How to loop WAV files for Dimension???

Hi guys I have a pressing problem with getting WAV samples played on Dimension...
The situation is this: I have purchased some WAV sample files from Best Service so that I can play them on Dimension's Sampler. However I noticed that the sample files don't loop as I want it to. I have also tried modifying the .sfz files so that the samples can be played looped, but the end result is that there is a terrible interrupted silence in-between when I press and hold the keys when the sample file(s) played instead of a nice, continuous sustain.

For a clearer representation for what Im experiencing, open up Dimension and load up any Multisample from 21-Vocals as an element. (E.g 8 Voice Aah Choir-(01) ) Press and hold down a high key (say C4). The sample will play as a continuous "Aaaaah" as long as it is held till release.

Now open up another multisample element, this time from 18-Reeds -> Sax Alto -> 414 - F - 001 (the first WAV sample for easier finding). Press and hold down a high key. The sample will play but it fades to silence after a few seconds.

I opened up both of those files in WINAMP and Media Player, and they both sound the same as when played on their original keys in Dimension.

So, I edited the sfz file for 'Sax Alto F' by adding a "loop_mode=loop_continuous" behind the notes. I then loaded up the sfz file as an element, and press and held a key. Now listen to the difference. Instead of a nice, continuous loop, there is that split second of interruption in-between loops. This is similar to the WAV samples I tried from Best Service.

Can anyone tell me how can I make the WAV files loop properly (like the WAV files in the Vocals multisample)?? Would very very much appreciate any help!!

3 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: PROBLEM!! How to loop WAV files for Dimension??? 2006/12/19 12:59:17 (permalink)
    I think you may need to modify the .wav files with an audio editor tool (like Sony Sound Forge, Audacity, or Adobe Audition, or another) which supports editing of loop points within the wave file. The wave file is then saved and you can have the Dimension Pro engine recognize the loop points within the modified wave file and behave appropriately.

-Techead
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: PROBLEM!! How to loop WAV files for Dimension??? 2006/12/19 20:50:40 (permalink)
    Techead hit the nail on the head there. It is much easier to see what your doing within SoundForge using the loop tuner tool and setting the loop range(start/end). But you can trail and error loop with sfz by setting the start/end point by sample.

Looping vocal samples is not the best way to start your loop learning Vocals are a major toughie as the timbral character changes drastically making a loop very hard to hit. But as you know it can be done.

To small a loop and it sounds flat almost synth like. To big a loop and it get harder to get a seamless loop point.

A sustain loop does not use the attack, As the file enters the sustain portion of the natural envelope the loop_start/loop_end are set points before the file starts the decay phase, lose amplitude as it dies away. These points are repeated until the key is released where the decay plays out per normal.

(in reply to techead)
    Post #: 3

post edited by lawapa - 2006/12/19 21:11:26
    persentio
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: PROBLEM!! How to loop WAV files for Dimension??? 2006/12/22 11:37:19 (permalink)
    Yup thanks for the help guys... I managed to make it loop using the .sfz command. However like lawapa said vocals are hard to loop correctly.. And the end result was a horrible sustain with feedback everytime the sample looped. But I've taken care of it by installing another format of the audio samples for another software sampler.

THanks so much guys.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1