Great singer, but can't sing in studio...

Author
liquidlove
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 254
2006/12/22 12:25:24 (permalink)

Great singer, but can't sing in studio...

Guys (and gals), I'm so frustrated. I'm a pretty dam good singer. Live, Ican bring people to tears. In the studio (with someone else recording and comping) I can sound like an angle. But in my studio, I sound like a dud. I've tried mixing it up. With click without. Vocals loud vocals soft. Verb no verb. Etc...I've tried it all. I just don't seem to sing well. I don't get it. When I perform live, I have zerro problems! I can sing all night, and never tire my voice. In the studio, it's just a mess and I sound like an amature. Anyway, maybe someone's got some tips for this very frustrated (borderline depressed) singer?
post edited by liquidlove - 2006/12/22 15:36:37

23 Replies Related Threads

gnie
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/22 12:35:07 (permalink)
    Sounds like you need the feedback; the stimulation/pressure of performing. Singing is emotional, and can be rather like acting. Without someone to receive what you're trying to convey, it feels sterile. You don't get the right inspiration. Or the intense level of self-awareness dampens your spirit. Then again, it could just be the anxiety of recording.
    Try doing some relaxation techniques between the time you have everything ready and when you start singing.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/22 12:38:17 (permalink)
    First, check here for my long answer to vocal recordings:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=830309&mpage=1&key=󋭣

Second, if it's that big of a deal, just have someone else record you. It's very hard to be engineer and performer at once and still get the best results.

Third, and please forgive me for asking, but is it possible that you have an unrealistic or distorted impression of your own voice? The human voice sounds very different from inside your head than from without. Many people are surprised to hear what their voice sounds like to the rest of the world. Moreover, many people who have a perfectly lovely voice are embarrassed to hear recordings of it because it sounds so different than what they hear in their heads. Some very talented, very famous singers have expressed embarrassment and insecurity about precisely the things that make them so unique and appealing.

Cheers.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/22 13:20:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: liquidlove

Guys (and gals), I'm so frustrated. I'm a pretty dam good singer. Live, and can bring people to tears. In the studio (with someone else recording and comping) and sound like an angle. But in my studio, I sound like a dud. I've tried mixing it up. With click without. Vocals loud vocals soft. Verb no verb. Etc...I've tried it all. I just don't seem to sing well. I don't get it. When I perform live, I have zerro problems! I can sing all night, and never tire my voice. In the stuio, it's just a mess and I sound like an amature. Anyway got any tips for me very frustrated (borderline depressed) singer?

Is it the sound you are getting that you don't like or is it that the performace is bad because of some anxiety you are experianceing in the studio ? Have you tried using the same mic you do live ?

Is there a way you can record your live performance ? For example if there was a way to get a direct out of your vocal channel at the live show and record that, you might just be able to use that "track" in the studio by doing some splits and lineing it up with the studio music.

Recording can be a humbleing experiance to hear what you really sound like, but it's the way you get good. Study what you hear during playback as if it were a student you are trying to teach and try to put into words what is wrong. Then apply that to your preformance. After you get to the point where you can make a dry recording sound good you will blow them away at the live show.

Also, keep in mind what effects you will use. Many singers make their voice overly breathy trying to emulate reverb.. DON'T DO THAT ! Sing clear and loud in your normal talking (yelling) voice and let the effects do the rest.
    post edited by ohhey - 2006/12/22 13:44:41
    xackley
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/22 14:30:54 (permalink)
    Set your peaks below -6 db, and quit watching the monitor.

Loop record, long areas (like the whole song) so you don't feel like you have to do it right.

IOW, get setup so you can focus on the song and forget about technology.

Don't worry about technically perfect (perfect quite often really does suck).

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
    http://www.vggallery.com
    Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
    yep
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/22 14:54:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey
    ...Many singers make their voice overly breathy trying to emulate reverb.. DON'T DO THAT ! Sing clear and loud in your normal talking (yelling) voice and let the effects do the rest.

The part about trying to replicate effects with your voice is excellent-- reverb makes a big difference, whether it's just the actual sound of your voice bouncing around in a room, or an artificial effect applied afterwards, the sound of close-miked vocals can be unnaturally dry and "shallow" in comparison. Make sure you have plenty of reverb in your headphones while you record.

However, the advice to sing loud is only right for some. Every singer is different, and where and how you find your voice is sometimes a very personal matter. Some very powerful singers actually sing at whisper-level (the singer from AC/DC, for instance). Other singers who seem to have a very mellow, controlled voice may sing at deafening levels (most opera singers sing at levels that can easily cause hearing damage).

This matter of "finding your voice" is something that happens differently for every singer. Some just find that their natural speaking voice transitions easily, naturally, and quite beautifully into song. Others kind of accidentally stumble across a voice that is in a completely different register and with totally different tonal characteristics from their everyday speaking or humming. Still others work very hard to force their voice to achieve things that it is not naturally inclined to do. For this reason, struggling singers would do well to listen to other people's advice and opinions, but also to be aware that what works for some does not work for all.

Cheers.
    liquidlove
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/22 15:31:32 (permalink)
    The problem seems to be the feel, and my actual tuning and tone...so I guess the whole shebang. Live, with a 58 and some good room ambiance, the performace counts for so much, and I get the feeling that a 58, plus the loudness of the whole thing smooths things out a bit. However, I've had just as good a response playing my accoustic guitar without a mic. In the studio, I'm under a microscope. I hear every little flub, every little nuance that's out of place.
    There has been some good advice for me here. Thanks. However, having someone else record me isn't really an option as I have a small fortune invested in my equipment, and I live in the middle of nowhere and no one really would be interested in helping me get through this.
    liquidlove
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/22 15:59:52 (permalink)
    Thanks "yep",
    I just read your post about vocals and that's gonna help. As soon as I get a chance to try out some of your ideas I'll get back to you and let you know if it helped. Again, thanks.
    yep
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/22 16:00:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: liquidlove

...However, having someone else record me isn't really an option as I have a small fortune invested in my equipment, and I live in the middle of nowhere and no one really would be interested in helping me get through this.

I don't know what you mean by "middle of nowhere," but I bet there are people who would be extremely interested in doing the engineering work. Even if you're in Antarctica, I can put you in touch with some people. And if you already have the studio set up then all they have to do is work the desk. Check the back of CDs of local bands, and see who recorded them. A lot of people are surprised at how accessible and affordable the people whose names are on the back of CDs can be. Even the legendary Steve Albini will record pretty much anyone, and will work hard to figure out a price and arrangement that everyone can live with. Granted, he prioritizes things based on how interesting the project is to him, but his rates are a totally arbitrary sliding scale based on what the client can afford.

Now, if you really want to do it yourself and not involve anyone else, that's something else. But you owe it to yourself to look at things realistically. What you've said so far on this thread is:

1. You're an awesome singer. You have performed well on previous recordings and consistently perform well in live scenarios.

2. The only exception to all this is that you do not sing well when you also have to work the recording equipment.

To me, this adds up to a very clear and easy solution-- don't work the recording equipment while you're trying to sing. I guarantee there is a way to make this happen, if you want to.

If you look at the thread I linked to above, item number one, the most important part of getting a good vocal recording, is the psychological state of the singer. This is based on a lot of personal experience and I bet you five bucks you cannot find a professional audio engineer anywhere who will disagree. This is worth more than a million dollars of recording equipment. Read that again: it is worth more than a million dollars worth of recording equipment. If I had the choice between tracking a confident, relaxed, inspired singer through a radio shack mic into a mini cassette recorder, or tracking a tense, nervous, insecure singer through an AKG C12 into a vintage Neve console onto a 2" Studer machine with Fairchild compressors and Pultec equalizers, I'd take the confident singer every time and twice on Christmas.

If you record a nervous, insecure singer through the million-dollar chain and I record the same singer when she's relaxed and inspired through a cheap toy, then my recordings will beat your recordings a hundred times out of a hundred, and you won't be able to do a damn thing about it, not with all the fancy toys and books and videos and special techniques in the world.

I'm not trying to discourage you from home recording, nor am I trying to tell you what to do or how to do it. But if you really do know what the problem is, then you also know what the solution is. If you're still hoping the problem might turn out to be something else, well... it might. Best of luck either way.

Cheers.
    davidchristopher
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1360
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/22 22:22:21 (permalink)
    Ditto Yeps post. I'm great at pushing the boys in the band to get their best, but I'm terrible at doing it to myself. My lead guitarist will be at the helm when we lay down the final takes. I'll be teaching him how to use the transport in the next week or two. His job will be to tell me how bad I suck, and make me do it again.

It sounds like that's what you need; I'll ask you some easy questions here:

What's your room like? Is it comfortable? Is it inspiring? How is it lit?

How often do you practice your songs? Are you recording them without really knowing them?

David Bistolas
    www.bistolas.net
    slim62r
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/23 08:57:46 (permalink)
    Liquid,

Is it possible that you need an audience to bring out the feeling of your songs you are trying to get across. That when you perform live you are really talking to your audience to where you also feed off of there reaction as well as they feed off of your performing. Maybe if your could get a small audience to sing to, that can be quiet as you record, this will help. I like singing to someone other than just the mic. Also is it bright where you are trying to record? Maybe turn lights off or down to make it more natural to the places your perform at. I had to do this on a song I was trying to record with just me and my terrible guitar struming. I shut off all the lights except a light in another room that had a dimmer on it and turned it down low to just barely see. It helped. Anything to help forget about the job of recording and get into the mood of performing. Espercially if you are an emotional singer and not a technical singer. audience, lighting, your own mood, will all affect the performance of your songs even in a live situation. When things are just right and you hit a "grove" (connection) with the audience it seems like nothing can go wrong and you are at the top of your game. Try and set that same feeling in your studio, if nothing else, in your own mind to where that is what you visualize.

Maybe this wil help also.

Richard

Dell Inspiron 5100
    Intel P. 4 2.4 GHz
    1 gig ram
    Fostex VF 160 EX (for Recording)
    Behringer Ultragain Pro 8 ( for recording 16 channels at once)
    Sonar 4Hs (for mixing)
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/23 12:52:44 (permalink)
    liq, I have the same problem. Honestly my live recordings sound like someone else altogether. The confidence, the power, the emotion... it all comes together. In the studio--in a sterile, laboratory environment--you can't get the same thing.

I have two techniques that work for me.
    #1 (the easy & fun solution) - Get buzzed before recording! Have a couple glasses of wine or vodka or whatever floats yer boat. Shut the windows, turn out the lights. Set up some candles or whatever it takes to hide the fact that you're in a sterile laboratory. It works more often than not.

#2 (the hard way) - Record 50 takes (minimum) for each line. Then spend a day sorting through all the takes. Even if most of it is weak, 1 out of 50 will be great. Actually I use this technique most of the time because wine & vodka & candles can get expensive. Good luck!
    DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/24 17:29:21 (permalink)
    I can't add much to the exceptional advice already stated here, but I will add this:

If you are used to singing in a live situation, through PA, wedges, sidefills, etc, then going into the studio and singing "under the microscope" can be a very different experience.

Also, the isolatory nature of headphones can be really un-nerving to people used to singing without them.

If pitch is a problem (in the studio), you might want to consider pulling one side of the cans off while you track so that you can hear your voice in the way you are normally used to, and not limited just to the isolation of the cans.

Many people - studio rookies and veterans alike - will do this trick. Sometimes it helps.

Also, don't be too critical of yourself to the point it becomes detrimental. Being self critical and wanting to do your best is admirable and is a good trait to have in this business, especially when this business as of late seems to have taken on an attitude of "yeah, that'll do"... but don't beat yourself up just for the sake of beating yourself up...LOL..is all I'm saying.

And, know that studio performance and live performance are two different beasts with their own unique facets.
    As a live singer, you know you didn't get that part of performing pegged overnight. Don't expect the studio to be any different... it might take a little time to find your vibe.

Just a thought ...(or two)

-D.

http://www.donnythompson.com
    Franco_ontarien
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/27 00:14:41 (permalink)
    Maybe a microphone problem? Bad frequency for your voice? Bad choice on the Headphone?

It happen to me in a Studio, the problem was a German Microphone with 2 swith for the frequency.
    It was set for a female vocal so my voice was terrible on it. I'm a pro singer but that day I was singing
    like a drunk singer in a karaoke night. The technician change the frequency and after that eveything was ok.

Sorry for my poor English
    Good Luck!

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/27 00:32:26 (permalink)
    You need to spend lots of money on more gear, better mics, preamps and a compressor. If that doesn't help then you actually are bad but you can use your gear to make money. If that doesn't work then at least you have something really cool to occupy your time.

Ok, Ok, in all seriousness, post some files and let some people dissect the problem with you.
    Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2006/12/27 00:48:58 (permalink)
    My advice is to cover the walls with posters, memorabillia, art work, and mood lighting. Get everything set to record, then go out and have a few drinks at a place with great live music with some friends (including at least one single hot girl/woman) and invite them all to come over afterwards to chill. Then with a nice buzz on, dim the lights, hit record, and let it all hang out.
    Conguero
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2007/01/09 23:55:58 (permalink)
    i know the last post was a couple weeks old, but i just read it and had a little input.
    You mentioned that you think the sm58 might have made a difference in your recording. Since you invested a "small fortune" I assume you have a decent vocal mic. Well, you could also pickup an sm58.

Set up the expensive voc mic at a comfortable distance (where you can close your eyes and not realize it is there). While you are recording, hold the sm58, and actually track both mics to tape.

You could even play around with mixing the two together in mixdown and see what kind of sounds you get.

Also it was mentioned earlier about the environment. Turn the lights down really low so that you are not distracted by the recording equipment (and so you will feel like you are more in your home than your studio). Basically, do whatever it takes to forget that you are recording, and just sing.
    brokebuck
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2007/02/01 19:08:27 (permalink)
    When you perform 'live' do you sing mostly covers or original music?
    Personally , I can't seem to 'find' my own voice. I don't like what I hear when I record myself.
    Are you writing in keys that aren't flattering?
    I think this might be my problem.
    Although i must say, I'm usually satisfied with my expression when I sing praise and worship.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be silent if no birds sang but the best."

-Henry Van Dyke

... the foolishness of God is wiser than men...

1 Cor. 1:25
    Sonar71
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2007/02/02 03:45:33 (permalink)
    When you sing, you can't hear yourself properly. When you record it you can.
    That is probably what you sound like all the time and you are not used to hearing it.
    So many factors involved. So many people think they can sing until they hear a recording of themselves.

Which angle do you sound like? 45 degrees is pretty bad but 90 degrees is cool.
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2007/02/02 12:53:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep However, the advice to sing loud is only right for some.

That was a revelation to me. I have a fairly loud singing voice, and playing in garage and bar bands, I always felt nearly compelled to sing as loud as my voice would permit. However, once I started recording, I found a very different situation. Bringing down the volume a bit helps me gain better control. I'm not a great singer to begin with, so I need that control And, as one poster suggested, I really didn't sound as good as I thought I did. Which has never prevented me from singing
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2007/02/02 14:02:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Sonar71

When you sing, you can't hear yourself properly. When you record it you can.
    That is probably what you sound like all the time and you are not used to hearing it.
    So many factors involved. So many people think they can sing until they hear a recording of themselves.

I think this is so true of people that haven't done much recording of their voice.

This is an interesting thread. Are there really 'Great Singers' that suck in the studio? I'm guessing that's the exception not the rule.

I've noticed the exact opposite, singers that sound good in the studio but not so good live.

I'd think just recording yourself a lot and listening to and analyzing your perfomance are the solution. That should make you more comfortable with the situation of home recording and should narrow the difference between perception and reality.

post edited by fep - 2007/02/02 14:29:48
    yep
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2007/02/05 10:39:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fep
    ... Are there really 'Great Singers' that suck in the studio?...

Sure there are, just like there are people who are really funny and entertaining to hang out with but who are not good at telling formal "jokes" or stand-up-type routines. I've heard singers sound great singing in the car on the way to the studio and then suddenly choke up when they're in front of the mic-- they become pitchy, tense, and their voice starts to sound forced and self-conscious...

Of course, you could make the case that part of being a "great singer" is the ability to perform on demand, and I'd be with you in terms of professional requirements, but there are certainly people who have talent that cave under pressure of various sorts. There are also plenty of people who are the opposite, who really only "turn it on" when they're in front of a mic.

A lot of it I think is how and whether you put pressure on yourself in certain circumstances, and then how you react to that pressure. Most people, even legendary singers, have certain things about their voice that they feel the need to work on, or that they wish were different... many people become hyper-aware of those aspects when they're "under the microscope" of the studio, and they feel like they must give a performance for the ages. For some people, that really brings out the best in them. For others, they strain and awkardly try and force their voice to be something that it's not, and end up giving a performance that is ugly, forced-sounding and amateurish.

Cheers.
    jiroe
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2007/02/05 14:27:38 (permalink)
    just sing until you get it perfect... try not to think "I don't sound right in the studio"... just take your time until you get that take your looking for, you can do it.

also, it might be as simple as the microphone... some mics sound like a recording of a voice, and some sound like... the voice. sounds off-the-wall but I've herd it many times.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Great singer, but can't sing in studio... 2007/02/07 16:15:24 (permalink)
    I've never heard you sing so this is purely hypothectical.

Maybe live you really don't sing with perfect pitch or timing but the live environment and an energized performance makes up for it and therefore people tell you its good. And maybe when you were recorded by someone else they corrected the pitch and timing. Now that you are faced with your naked, true voice its not what you expected.

Again, purely hypothectical, not meant as an insult. I just know a singer that this applied to.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1