Sound Forge or Wavelab?

Author
Sonic the Hedgehog
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 733
2006/12/29 21:21:40 (permalink)

Sound Forge or Wavelab?

Hi everyone,

I'm just trying to start another friendly thread about the pros and cons of each program as far as Mastering is concerned. I've been using Wavelab 5 for a while now and find it to be truly awesome. So what is it that Sound Forge can do that the evil Wavelab can't?
Thanks!

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler

13 Replies Related Threads

Gregmang
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1592
    RE: Sound Forge or Wavelab? 2007/01/19 22:21:07 (permalink)
    can't answer your question (sorry) but has ANYBODY used Wavelab 6 ?
    mwall
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1262
    RE: Sound Forge or Wavelab? 2007/01/19 22:47:22 (permalink)
    Still on v3, and it's doing what I need right now.

Mark
    -----
    Some tunes:
    http://www.reverbnation.com/markwallace
    http://www.soundclick.com/markwallace 

DAW: SONAR X3 Producer; GA-P35-DS3L; Q6600; OCZ 8GB DDR2 800; Win8 64-bit; Gina 3G.
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Sound Forge or Wavelab? 2007/01/20 18:37:03 (permalink)
    Before you go any further, download the trial version of Adobe Audition. It's expensive, but what a program!
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Sound Forge or Wavelab? 2007/01/21 14:32:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Joe Bravo

Before you go any further, download the trial version of Adobe Audition. It's expensive, but what a program!

Not to hijack this thread (sorry I use SF, not wavelab),, is Audition insanly bloated with crap ? Every since the newr Acrobat Readers, that are 70% bigger than need be, and FAR more CPU intensive than need be, as well as just full of garbage, I really haven't wanted anything from Adobe. And if I have Sonar PE, and Sony SF 8, why would I need it ?

Again, please don't let me hijack this thread, I was just wondering.
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Sound Forge or Wavelab? 2007/01/21 14:58:58 (permalink)
    Hi Joe!

I just went over to the Adobe website and as far as I could see(unless they didn't print everything, it does not have some of the functions that Wavelab has that are needed for mastering. Audition seems to be both a sequencer(like Sonar) and an editor(like Soundforge) while not being as detailed as either one. Someone like Ognis(above) who has Sonar PE and SF8 will definately not need Adobe Auditon. I think Adobe is trying to market that product to users of other Adobe products who need an all-round capable audio tool in order to compliment their visual work.
    Wavelab is a different animal. One reason why I started this thread was to get info on Soundforge as far as its Mastering section was concerned - Ognis, maybe you can educate me here. In Wavelab, there is full cd and dvd-audio authoring. You just open up a ''montage'' screen and drag-and-drop your finished stereo tracks into it. With just one click, you can determine how long you want the pauses between each track to be(like on a commercial cd where the silences are not part of the previous or next track), and you can apply, say, eq or compression to all the tracks that are lined-up.

Ognis
    RE: Sound Forge or Wavelab? 2007/01/21 15:39:14 (permalink)
    Sorry, tried to reply but IE went crazy (dont ask me why I'm not using Opera like normal).

I only use SF for setting up effect chains for mastering a wav already mixed down from Sonar. So, someone else would be better to reply anyway. But, I do know that there are two versions of SF, one being lite (and I DO mean lite), while the other is full. The full version comes with CD Architect which works hand in hand with SF. With CD Art you can do what you were asking about. Also set on CD cross fading, "slience" time between tracks, slide the track start / stop points, even cd text, and hidden tracks, as well as set db levels (which setting db shouldnt be nessary because that is done at the SF level). Another cool thing, at least to me, about SF is it uses a different alirythm (I cant spell that word :) ) for detecting clipping, which is more sensitive than Sonar, so the Wave Hammer works as a better limiter (IMO) than you would get in Sonar. Also you can use SF though Sonar. In the Sonar menu, go Tools > SoundForge (but, I never do, so can't speak much about that either)... Sorry, I kinda wrote all that without saying much.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Sound Forge or Wavelab? 2007/01/21 18:13:16 (permalink)
    Deleted
    post edited by Joe Bravo - 2007/01/27 10:10:05
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Sound Forge or Wavelab? 2007/01/21 22:48:40 (permalink)
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the time you spent on this. Adobe owes you more than whomever it was that did their website! From what you're showing here, it certainly looks interesting, but I still can't see how it can be used for complete mastering in order to give a unique identity to a set number of tracks. I guess the best thing is to try the demo as you mentioned. Actually, I don't find it to be expensive at all.
    Take advantage of your ''forced'' vacation. I'm from Eastern Canada which means that, unfortunately, everything ''opens'' whenever we get a snowstorm. Thanks again!

Ognis: thanks for your feedback as well on Soundforge. I'll need to take a look at that too!

Joe Bravo
    RE: Sound Forge or Wavelab? 2007/01/22 09:41:23 (permalink)
    "...give a unique identity to a set number of tracks."

I doubt if Audition can do that since I don't even know what it is. It sounds like something you'd do with burning rather than mastering software though. Anyhow, I went to look at Wavelab's features at Steinberg's site this morning and the software looks pretty good I'd say. Aside from wave editing/mastering, it appears to be able to do CD/DVD authoring too, which is something Audition doesn't do. Well, unless the new version does; I'm still using the first version which is kind of old now. There are probably some things that each mastering application does that its competitors does't do, but most of their effects and whatnot seem to be pretty much the same. Maybe a final decision might have a lot to do with how well your computer OS works with the mastering software, as in: does it crash a lot, take a long time to open and save files and so forth. If Wavelab is meeting your needs, I'd stick with it.
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Sound Forge or Wavelab? 2007/01/22 12:12:12 (permalink)
    Thanks again Joe. 'Till we meet again on another thread!

Ognis
    RE: Sound Forge or Wavelab? 2007/01/22 12:13:16 (permalink)
    does it crash a lot, take a long time to open and save files and so forth.

Glad you said that, because it made me remember. In SF / CD ART, Sony makes sfk files, which are files which contain the image of the wav, so opening wav's that you have opened before in Sony, open right off with nearly no dely (much like Sonar does if you dont clear your picture cache) - except Sony puts the sfk file right next to the wav file, so they are not hidden away. Also, Sony is very rock solid, and CPU friendly. Yet, if it does crash (due to buggy plug-ins, etc) it has crash recovery - it will remember the last point before the crash, and when you reopen, it will take you back to where you left off (saved me once, so I know it works). It also has a pre-save thing, so say, you save your project, but end up wishing you hadnt, you can go back to how it was right before you saved, as long as you haven't closed the window. Another cool thing is saving plug in chains. Say, you only master for your own genere of music, and usally like to keep the same plug ins in your chain, you can simply set up your chain, and save it as a preset, and recall it whenever you need it - which saves a ton of time, esp since it will remember settings as well. Also, the effect browser is a ton of help, esp if you are like me and have a ton of effect plugs. They are broken down into catagories, and you can just drag and drop say, EQ into the EQ folder, Limiter into the Limiter folder, and so on.. This way, when you need say an EQ plug, you dont have to fumble about looking though a mile long list, you can just go straight to the EQ (or whatever) folder, and the list of what you need will be right there. SF is really made for the mastering proccess, and thats about it. Youi can have multi wavs open at once, but only work on one at a time - you can cut from one wav, and copy to another, but it's not for mixing. Like I said before, it is very sensitive to clipping, and the RMS is always spot on (after checking in other things, such as Har Bal).. If all you want to do is master, and author CD's, I think the full version of SF is they way to go. With all respect to Joe Bravo, Audition looks nice, but I don't think it's what you are looking for in this case.
    post edited by Ognis - 2007/01/22 12:48:27
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Sound Forge or Wavelab? 2007/01/22 15:26:43 (permalink)
    All good to know Ognis.
    sharkdemo
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Sound Forge or Wavelab? 2007/01/22 20:52:58 (permalink)
    thats kool .Ive been using Sf.7 a long time now and have developed a three step mastering . first you gotta be happy with your final export . then I go to PultecPro punch/eq . Ozone 3 and L-utramaximizer at a minus 2.1 db . seems to leave a nice trimmed wav . the Cd.s I burn seem to be louder than music coming from the radio . not sure if thats a good thing . I used to leave the wavs a bit thick before what do you think is the right level . there's no distortion just a strong wav . but Im missing that nice big analog compressed mastering the big studios get . frank

F.Navarro
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1