Mute groups in .sfz/P5 Dimension

Author
ucacjbs
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 866
2007/01/02 14:40:55 (permalink)

Mute groups in .sfz/P5 Dimension

Hello,

I've a question about the use of the 'group' and 'off_by' sfz codes for a <region> (or <group>, for that matter, I believe) to 'self-mute' a sample using the Dimension that comes with P5.

I've been able to set up a mute group (e.g. open hat muted by closed hat) using the group and off_by codes. For two different <region>s, or <groups> you simply do something like the following:

<region> group=1 off_by=1 key=34 sample=OpenHH.wav
<region> group=1 off_by=1 key=35 sample=ClosedHH.wav

This works fine for muting the open hat with the closed (and vice versa). However, I've noticed that it doesn't lead to the open hat muting itself, i.e. I can play the open hat sample, and then trigger another hit on the open hat while the sustain/release period of first hit is still sounding. Sometimes, I'd like to set things up so that the second trigger on the open hat mutes the first. I guess I thought that the group/off_by combination would let a key 'self-mute' in addition to muting samples on other keys, but that doesn't seem to be the case in Dimension (the 'non-Pro') version.

Any ideas are appreciated.

thanks,

ben

4 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Mute groups in .sfz/P5 Dimension 2007/01/02 15:26:14 (permalink)
    Sometimes, I'd like to set things up so that the second trigger on the open hat mutes the first.
    Hey, Ben. Long time. Try adding this to the middle of your open hi-hat <region>: polyphony=1 off_mode=fast.
    Use the entire 'mute setup' in a <group> if you have multiple samples/velocity layers.
    ucacjbs
    RE: Mute groups in .sfz/P5 Dimension 2007/01/02 15:44:42 (permalink)
    Long time indeed Tom. Thanks for your prompt response.

So, the trick is polyphony=1, eh? Hmm, seems like I ought to have figured that one out, doesn't it? Many thanks. The off_mode is a nifty opcode too.

Fortunately enough, I'd spotted the <group> use of the 'mute setup' opcodes, although predictably that occurred only after a real cut-and-paste (and paste and paste and paste and ...) marathon. It is a real time-saver, so I'd recommend any reading this who doesn't know it, to take good note of the usefulness of the <group>.

Thanks again,

ben

ucacjbs
    RE: Mute groups in .sfz/P5 Dimension 2007/01/02 22:52:26 (permalink)

I found another detail that I thought I'd add, since it's a little trap I fell into.

In light of Tom's advice, I added the polyphony=1 to my various <group>s (I left the off_mode as is to begin with, since that basically controls whether the sample is instantly muted, or whether the mute tells the sample to enter its envelope's release stage). So, my new <group> looked something like this:

<group> polyphony=1 group=35 off_by=35 key=35 loop_mode=one_shot
    // followed by the <region> statements for the various velocity layers

This now worked quite dandily. So, I thought, I could then remove all the 'group=' and 'off_by=' statements for those drums that were in a 'group' (as opposed to a <group>, ugh) on their own (e.g. Kick, Snare,Toms, Rimshot, Crash cymbals and so on), since they hadn't worked for the 'self-mute' as I'd hoped. Of course, for my hats and the bell/ride samples, I kept the mute groups (i.e. 'group=' and 'off_by=') as I'd set them up originally.

So, for my kick drum, I now had

<group> polyphony=1 key=35 loop_mode=one_shot
    // followed by the <region> statements for the various velocity layers

where you'll see that I removed the 'group=' and 'off_by=' opcodes; I did the same for the snares, toms, rimshots, crash cymbals, splashes, and so on.

What I now discovered was that all of the instruments from which I'd just removed the 'group=' and 'off_by' statements started to mute each other. It seems that they were all now in the same 'group=' (again, as opposed to <group>) by default, and the polyphony for that 'group=' was set to one. Reinstating the 'group=X' with a different X for each instrument fixed the problem; you don't need the 'off_by' in this example, just the 'group='. So, to complete the story, the sfz opcodes for my kick <group> now looks like this:

<group> polyphony=1 group=35 key=35 loop_mode=one_shot

with the 'group=' making a return, and the 'off_by' still absent.

If you made it all the way through this post, I salute you. Even if you're asleep.

ben
    selection7
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: RE: Mute groups in .sfz/P5 Dimension 2009/09/04 20:01:17 (permalink)
    This thread helped me, thanks. :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1