MIDI Connections

Author
slugo3
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2007/01/03 10:05:07 (permalink)

MIDI Connections

Hello all. I have a general question regarding MIDI connections. I have a Yamaha PSR1000 keyboard and would like to hook it up to SONAR 5 so that I can take advantage of some of the soft synth’s like PSYN II.

I would like to hook up the PSR1000 via the midi in/out on the keyboard to the midi in/out on my Creative labs Audigy soundcard. Could someone please walk me through this process so that Sonar recognizes the keyboard?

I do have some basic knowledge and I know how to interface a USB MIDI controller to Sonar and set up the soft syth tracks because on my other computer I am running an EMU Xboard into a EMU 18020M soundcard. That was pretty straightforward.

I am just not sure how to make it work with a regular keyboard and midi cables.

As always thank you very much for any help!!!!

Mike

4 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: MIDI Connections 2007/01/03 10:27:44 (permalink)
    mIke,

it works the same. Under Options>Midi (I think, I'm not at the music computer right now) you can highlight (enable) different midi ins/outs. I can't remember what the midi i/o for creative is, but there used to be two synths and an external choice. External is what you want.

To output your midi info to the keyboard you'll have to chose MIDIout from the dropdown menu of insert/replace instrument. that sends your recording out the midi port, as opposed to driving the softsynth.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    slugo3
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: MIDI Connections 2007/01/03 10:47:59 (permalink)
    AT thanks for your quick response! I am not really interested in having midi played back to the keyboard, just using the keyboard as a midi controller for recording and triggering drums. For that I would just activate the external choice or the synth?

Thanks again!!!

Mike
    ucacjbs
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 866
    RE: MIDI Connections 2007/01/03 15:23:50 (permalink)
    This should work:

1. Connect the MIDI out of your Yamaha to the MIDI in of your Audigy.

2. In Sonar, check the MIDI setup dialog, and make sure that the Audigy's MIDI input is active.

3. Summon up a softsynth, just as you would when you're using the Xboard

4. For the MIDI track that goes to the softsynth, select the Audigy's MIDI input in the MIDI input options.

Hope that's helpful (not to mention correct)

ben
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: MIDI Connections 2007/01/03 16:05:45 (permalink)
    Use Insert > softsynth > softsyth name. This way your miditrack is connected to your audio track automatically. When the options box appears, select Midi track, and singel audio track, unless you are using a multi-timbral synth, then use all auio tracks.

Go to Sonar tips section to learn more under the support section here ~~> http://cakewalk.com/Support/SONAR/SR1.asp

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1