Is anyone having trouble with their FireWire interfaces?

Author
SoniCanvas
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
2007/01/04 06:52:58 (permalink)

Is anyone having trouble with their FireWire interfaces?

I bought a new Creation Station from Sweetwater and needed a new audio interface. I decided to go with a Firewire interface and picked up a Firebox.
The performance was terrible! No matter what settings I choose, the audio would eventually get noisy, stop and start, stutter, etc.
I logged on to Presonus’ website to see if there were any driver updates and found this little tidbit of information:

There is a firewire patch for SP2 available from Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222. You may need to download and install this patch if you cannot install any firewire interface.
Your Interface may be able to install but the audio recording and playback performance may be very bad regardless of settings. If you have these issues, download and install the patch, restart your computer and then reinstall your Interface driver.

From the Microsoft website:

SYMPTOMS
After you update your computer to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the performance of your 1394a or 1394b FireWire devices may be greatly decreased. A digital camera that uses S400 speed is an example of such a device.

CAUSE
This problem occurs if you connect a 1394a or 1394b FireWire device to a 1394b port. This problem occurs because Windows XP SP2 changes 1394b ports to S100 speed when you upgrade.

Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble with any FireWire interface? If so, you might want to check out this issue.

2 Replies Related Threads

Rigel Russell
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: Is anyone having trouble with their FireWire interfaces? 2007/01/06 09:34:46 (permalink)
    I also just got a firewire interface - Focusrite Sapphire Pro 26i/o. I installed the MS patch, and also got a Firewire controller card with a TI chipset. Working much better than the on-board firewire port.

Rigel
    Replay
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Is anyone having trouble with their FireWire interfaces? 2007/01/06 09:49:05 (permalink)

Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble with any FireWire interface?

Dude, I was just going to post here for an answer to my firewire problem.. you saved my day, Thanks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1